Computer Newbies

Question

Attacked, AVG cleared it, now nothing will open

by Strongo83 / May 16, 2011 10:07 AM PDT

Running Toshiba satellite pro A100, microsoft xp sp3, avg 2011 free antivirus.

I had a serious warning on avg that a file needed quarentining, so in a panic (stupid i know) i clicked move to vault, told me to restart after completing which i did. when laptop restarted all i get on task bar is battery n wireless connection icon, everything else has dissapeared. when i try n use any of the .exe progs (e.g Windows Media Player, AVG 2011) on desktop i just get a box asking me to choose what program i want to use to open that file.

i tried to get into add &remove programs, to try n delete AVG2011, wont give me access n keeps saying :

C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
Application not found

iv found 1 post on here already with same problem:
http://forums.cnet.com/malware-attack-avg-deleted-it/7723-6121_102-523458.html
when i tried to do first thing it says Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Attacked, AVG cleared it, now nothing will open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Attacked, AVG cleared it, now nothing will open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
From another computer
by lacsr / May 16, 2011 9:18 PM PDT
From another computer. Try the kellys-korner link and then download the software noted in the second post in the thread linked by your post and follow the advice from Grif Thomas. Make sure you follow his routine. When the computer in question is started in "safe-mode" also go to the AVG quarantine folder and release the files in there, then do the rest of the procedure. Once all that is done, if there is still a problem, you might try one of these, made on another computer: http://antivirus.about.com/od/freeantivirussoftware/tp/avrescuecd.htm
Collapse -
AVG Quarantine Folder
by Strongo83 / June 3, 2011 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: From another computer

now iv managed to borrow a friends laptop where do i find the AVG quarantine folder

Collapse -
Answer
Yep, Download Everything On A Separate, Clean Computer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 12:00 AM PDT

...then transfer all the files over to the problem machine. Once they're there, restart the computer into Safe Mode and run the registry fix tool first, then follow the procedures to continue with the cleanup.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Kellys-korner
by Strongo83 / June 3, 2011 11:13 PM PDT

on a clean computer i cant get access to the file on kellys-korner.

it says:

Internet Explorer cannot download exefix.reg from www.kellys-korner-xp.com
Internet Explorer was unable to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavaliable or cannot be found. Please try again later

Collapse -
Answer
Can You Run Those Steps From Safe Mode,? Or...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 5:01 AM PDT

...from Safe Mode with Networking?

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Using another computer to download the removal programs, then copying them to a CD or flash drive, then moving them to the problem computer may work IF you start the computer in Safe Mode before attempting to run them all.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Safe mode with networking
by Strongo83 / June 5, 2011 7:13 AM PDT

Iv taken everything from a clean computer except the Kelly-korner item as couldn't download it. Iv got rkill to work but malware and sas wants me to nominate a program.

I see that rkill has put a item on desktop called rk-proxy. When I click on it, it says

Are you sure u want to add the information in C:\Documents and settings\Daniel Strong\Desktop\rk-proxy.erg to the registry.
Do I click yes or no ?

Do I click yes or not

Collapse -
Dont' Click On It...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 11:03 AM PDT

Just let Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware do their thing.. IN order to get all things working correctly, you'll need to download and run the .reg file from Kelly's Korner.. Do so by RIGHT clicking on line 12 in the website mentioned, choose "Save target as" or "Save Link As", then direct the download to your desktop.. And yes, you may need to perform those steps on a separate clean computer if you can't do them in "Safe Mode with Networking".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Kellys-korner item won't download
by Strongo83 / June 6, 2011 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Dont' Click On It...

Gone on kellys-korner website, go to line 12 left side (exe (lnk and regfile) fix for windows xp), right click n click save as target.

I then get this message:
Internet Explorer cannot download exefix.reg from Kellys-korner-xp.com.
Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try later.

Been getting same message for last 4 days of trying I get same message when downloading to a clean computer and when downloading to infected computer in safe mode with networking

Collapse -
Then Try This Site...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

Click on the link below, then look to the "EXE File Association Fix", and download the .zip file to your computer desktop.. ONce there, unzip the file, then double click on the "xp_exe_fix.reg" file that is inside, choose "OK/Yes, when it asks "Are you sure?".. Restart the computer.. It should now run those problem programs and Control Panel icons.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
All sorted
by Strongo83 / June 10, 2011 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Then Try This Site...

Why just like to say thank u for all u assistance with this problem. It's all sorted now n back running now

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.