Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

ATI RadeonX700 graphic card Flickering monitors?

by Rancher5 / February 20, 2005 7:54 AM PST

I just built a system using 775 chipset w/ a D915PBL Intel motherboard w/ 3.4 processor and installed a PCI graphics card ATI X700 and after its been on for awhile the monitor turns on and off until it speeds up to fast to read screen have to reboot to fix problem it seemed to do it more when I plugged in a front usb device and had a couple of prcesses going on this is the second X700 I had the other one did it so often it was totaly useless this one is better and yes I did install the new Catalyst 5.2 any others with like problem very frustrating and answers would be extremely helpful. the first one I did a disk clean from windows xp and that started the problem like now reinstalled and picked up other card which hasn't been as much of a problem but I want a rock solid system and now I'm constantly worried that am going to loose monitor viewing, and yes I checked monitor on laptop and know problems at all, sorry if this is long winded. Clint

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ATI RadeonX700 graphic card Flickering monitors?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ATI RadeonX700 graphic card Flickering monitors?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just off top of my head
by John Robie / February 22, 2005 4:15 AM PST

since no one else replied. Couple things possible.

You have a powerful 3.4 computer with a powerful X700 PCI Express card, and along with other drives/accessories, it seems like a strain on your power. Did you put in a high power wattage unit from a good name company when you built? Even 450W on a cheap power supply can register much lower...see Tomshardware.

Another is ATI drivers which seem to have problems.

Also the monitor and or card may need settings to around 75-80 Hz.

Collapse -
Mad Dog 500watt power supply
by Rancher5 / February 22, 2005 7:23 AM PST

I used one of the newest versions of Maddog power suppys
It appears to work and register the right voltage, I updated the Bio's again and the Motherboard and I have not stressed the system yet to duplicate the problem, as I said I took the first X700 back and the second one has not been as unreliable, I was wondering if a video card with its own power supply would make a difference as plugging in a usb device will quicken the monitor to go on and off, wierd problem, besides this issue its a great performing machine,

Collapse -
Appears to have fixed it
by Rancher5 / February 24, 2005 11:51 PM PST

I updated the Bios and motherboard and switched USB from full speed to High speed which made a huge difference, and re asigned some IRQ's fingers crossed its been almosr a week and everything doing great hope I did'nt jinks it by saying that. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That is great & thanks for the rtrn fix info.
by John Robie / February 25, 2005 5:52 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.