Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ATI Catalyst Drivers

by rockerrb / October 15, 2005 9:27 AM PDT

After over an hr I am done installing the new ATI Catalyst Drivers.
I got the info that there was an update through a subscription to fileplanet weekly dated 10/14/05.

It says on the ATI website that you should download and run the uninstaller first to completely uninstall ALL ATI Software. So like a moron I did it and it took off the drivers and the DVR software and everything else with it, just like it said it would.
Next I downloaded the new drivers and installed them, but then I had to download all the other software for the DVR (ATI Multimedia Center) and for the Remote Wonder and all the other software that comes with the card.
Then I had to dig for the original software CD that came in the box with the card so it could be "validated".

Needless to say this was all a ***REAL PAIN IN THE ****** for something that should involve just a simple Driver update. INTELLIGENCE means you create an uninstaller program which uninstalls ONLY THE SOFTWARE THAT IS BEING UPDATED. JUST THE DRIVER. This VERY POOR customer service and software design on ATI's part.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ATI Catalyst Drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ATI Catalyst Drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Impressed
by Paul Roantree / October 15, 2005 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: ATI Catalyst Drivers

I installed Catalyst and unistalled them, and went back to my old ones. They never really worked properly and if you ignored the control centre, it became unoperable over time.
Ati 9700 Pro user.

Collapse -
From what you say,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2005 6:50 PM PDT
In reply to: ATI Catalyst Drivers

I couldn't agree more.

I find it a real pain to upgrade drivers, and that is perhaps why I don't do it often. But the reason is, the instructions and installation guidelines are so often hit and miss, that normal technical non-experts like myself just do not have the confidence to do so.

I hope everything goes well for you from now on.

Mark

Collapse -
Have you ever tried ATI support?
by rgfitz / October 16, 2005 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: From what you say,

Their site is slow and from what I can tell they never respond to a request (A ticket in a queue?). I finally got Catalyst 5.9 installed and the Help button on their control panel doesn't do anything. I finally found the help files and created a shortcut to them in my Start menu. About three days later they came out with Catalyst 5.10. I will pass on that one.

I don't play games, I just wanted an inexpensive graphics card with 128MB memory and a DVI connector to see if it was much better than my onboard Intel Extreme Graphics with analog input.

So far, I am not sure there is much difference but the demos that came with the card were interesting. I should have tried the demo before installing the card.

Collapse -
ATI support
by rockerrb / October 16, 2005 6:08 AM PDT

I used the online support and I said I had to register in order to get a phn # & then when I got the phn # it didn't list the hrs they were open. So I call them and of course they are closed on the wknds. How hard can it possibly be to list the hrs you are open near the Technical Support Phone #? I could have done this myself via the net back in 1993!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.