AVG forum

General discussion

"atdmt[2].txt" Tracking cookie

by andygawg / October 10, 2009 7:42 PM PDT

Hi,

After installing Windows live Mail, every time I open the program, or open internet explorer AVG anti-virus (paid version) pops up a threat window.

"atdmt[2].txt" is detected as a tracking cookie.

This appears to be a false positive as the process runs under genuine windows "wlmail.exe" and I checked that the program is digitally signed by MS (it's genuine)

By checking out a few sites on the internet AVG has somewhat of a bad rep. for false positives, but this is really ridiculous.

I must add that I have used AVG for about 5 years now and have been satisfied, but this problem is so persistant I certainly won't be re-newing my sub. if this isn't solved.

It seems a lot of people have the same problem. I hope AVG sort this out quickly.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "atdmt[2].txt" Tracking cookie
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "atdmt[2].txt" Tracking cookie
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: atdmt cookie
by Kees Bakker / October 10, 2009 8:31 PM PDT

That's a cookie and it's related to advertising, indeed. I assume Microsoft is a member of the NAI or uses ad services from Doubleclick (probably not the services from Google).
These cookies help the advertisers to target the ads on your specific browsing habits, minimizing the number of irrelevant ads.

There are some ways to opt-out of this, for example
http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html
Most of this opting-out will put a cookie on your PC telling the site you opted out. If you delete that, you're opted in again.

It's not clear if this particular cookie is helping you to stay anonymous or on the contrary is helping the advertisers to serve you better. That might depend on the content also. This is my atdmt.txt ( changed the numbers!):

ANON
A=932A99C129C11E2972109C97FFFFFFFF&E=88b&W=4
atdmt.com/

The first line makes me feel that I'm anonymous. But I might be totally wrong with that.

If you think you want this cookie, add it to the exclusion list of AVG. If you think you don't want it, block it in your browser, so it won't be made anymore.
In both cases, the message won't appear. Easily solved.

Kees

Collapse -
atdmt[2].txt
by andygawg / October 10, 2009 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: atdmt cookie

Thanks, Kees,

I finally got rid of the annoying pop ups by allowing two exemptions in AVG (one to the Programs(86)livemail pathway, and one in Users/xxx livemail path) they still show up when I run CCleaner so I can delete them if I wish.

I tried the opt out first but wasn't successful in opting out of the offending site.(I tried in Chrome and I.E)

Next I tried blocking in I.E but couldn't get this to work either - even when I set to block all cookies!
It's not an issue in Chrome as it never pops up.

Anyway the final method, but least optimum in my opinion worked. So thanks again.

I assume that this cookie, although it is logged as a tracking cookie, is pretty harmless? Perhaps you could let me know what you think? I know you alluded to it in your first post.

Finally, I would be happy to hear from any AVG people about this as I know I am not the only one to experience this (do a quick search for atdmt&AVG). Surely by default this popup shouldn't happen if atdmt[2].txt is harmless.

Thank you.

Collapse -
RE: atdmt[2].txt
by Dusan_AVG / October 11, 2009 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: atdmt[2].txt

Hello,

Tracking cookies are harmless to your computer.

AVG detects them as some users are concerned about their privacy.

You can read more information about tracking cookies here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Please feel free to ask more questions if there is still anything unclear.

Collapse -
Tracking cookies
by andygawg / October 12, 2009 3:42 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: atdmt[2].txt

Thanks for the info. The problem of repeated pop up warnings from AVG resident shield was solved by allowing exceptions for those apps. in advanced menu - resident shield exceptions.

I am now clear that atdmt is harmless, but the popups were very annoying.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.