The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

At what age did you stop believing in Santa Claus?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 19, 2013 10:07 AM PST

At what age did you stop believing in Santa Claus? (Tell us your stories)

-- 2-3 years old
-- 4-5 years old
-- 6-7 years old
-- 8-9 years old
-- 10-11 years old
-- 12-14 years old
-- 15-17 years old
-- 18+
-- What do you mean Santa Claus isn't real?
-- Who's Santa Claus?
--I never believed in Santa Claus.

Place your votes here: http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2367.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: At what age did you stop believing in Santa Claus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: At what age did you stop believing in Santa Claus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
stop believing in Santa Claus
by Claus32 / December 21, 2013 8:51 PM PST

I stopped believing in Santa Claus in age of 4-5 years old I think. What about you?

Collapse -
Saddo's of the world, listen up
by michael-sedgmoor / December 23, 2013 4:47 PM PST

The phrase is 'Happy Christmas' not happy holidays or any of that dismal tripe. How can you possibly expect Father Christmas to visit you if you can't even get the address right.

Collapse -
Ignorance is a bliss I've yet to experience
by capoderra / December 23, 2013 5:34 PM PST

I never believed in anything I'd never seen. Of course I'd believe adults when they told me things, but if I never saw the Easter bunny or a man turn water to wine, then I knew it was a joke. I felt awkward my entire childhood when people talked about folklore as if it were real. I just kept my mouth shut and still do until someone asks me what I think. It's not nice to ask someone their opinion and then give them a hard time just because it's different than yours. If you don't like the answers you get, then you should cease to ask scary questions.

Collapse -
Santa Claus is not the real name - JULTOMTE is the real name
by Be-Ge / December 23, 2013 5:45 PM PST

Of course the JULTOMTE exists and he has been around since at least the Bronze Age in Scandinavia. In Scandinavia we have regular TOMTAR as well but they are dressed in grey suits and work all around the year, the JULTOMTE on the other hand is dressed in a red suit and only appears on JULAFTON (Dec 24). Anything else is commercial hype.
The true reason to celebrate JUL (Yule) is to celebrate the Winter Solstice, which generally falls between December 21-23. Jul or Yule is the ancient Pagan celebration that up until Scandinavia became Christian was celebrated by sacrifice of both animals and humans, so missionaries wanted to tie this barbaric tradition together with Christianity and voila, lets move the birth of Jesus to December 24.
Alas Christmas/Jule has nothing whatsoever to do with the birth of Jesus Christ who according to main researchers was either born in April or September. Then according to some he was not even born in the year 0 either, but that is for another discussion.
In conclusion Santa Clause/JULTOMTEN does exist and if you doubt it then you have lost your inner child.

Collapse -
Stopped believing at age 11
by Understanding18 / December 23, 2013 6:32 PM PST

I stopped believing in Santa when I was 11 which was back in the early 90's. I found out when I heard my Parents taking the gifts into the living room. I'm truly thankful to know that my Santa Claus is God and Jesus Christ and they provide for me.

Collapse -
The Santa Myth had more serious effects on Daughter
by cnj0ancn / December 23, 2013 10:05 PM PST

My daughter attend parochial school for over 10 years.
At about age 7-8 after coming to the conclusion that Santa was not real my daughter also questioned the reality of God.
She felt adults were pretending and felt deliberately tricked. Years later she often reminded me how I lied to her about Santa. From that time to this day at 42 she is an atheist.

Collapse -
Don't remember
by marikavs / December 24, 2013 12:29 AM PST

I need an "I don't remember" category. When I was a child in Sweden, we used to celebrate Christmas (JUL) at my paternal aunt's house, where first the father, then five children in turn would impersonate Santa (JULTOMTEN, explained in an earlier post.) I think it was when the youngest child (a girl, who is/was younger than me) tried it that I seriously started to question if the entity being impersonated really did exist. Until then the "big deal" created, complete with rustlings outside and poundings on the door (they didn't have a chimney) was quite impressive to me as a small child, and I did believe Santa existed, if only because he had to have a stand-in to enter the house with the sack of gifts.

Collapse -
Clever parents gave us the fun without the disappointment
by ElectronChaser / December 24, 2013 1:41 AM PST

I wasn't quite sure at the time how our folks accomplished it, but we three kids sensed what our friends would have called "the truth" about Santa Claus throughout our childhoods without a point-blank discussion of it. We talked to department store Santas, enjoyed the whimsically-signed packages ("S. Claus, esq." or "S.C. Enterprises" -- clearly my dad!) under the Christmas tree, and had a truly good time (still do!) with the whole Santa thing. We kids didn't really discuss the concrete reality of Santa Claus amongst ourselves, because we already knew what the the answer would have to be, and tacitly agreed to not pop each others' bubbles. (By the way, there was no Santa/Jesus issue confusion then or later, as the latter subject was well-grounded and handled entirely differently -- no nudge-nudge, wink-wink there! Again, hats off to my parents.)

As our first son grew, I struggled to figure out how I might accomplish my subject title with our own kids. He was (is!) very bright, which turned out to be a big help. When he asked, "About Santa... could he really come down the chimney? Isn't it too small?", I thought and replied, "Matt, you know that I'm always good for the proper technical answer. But in this case, it just might spoil all the fun we have...." A slow smile came across his face. "Yeahhhhhh... Okay, Dad, never mind!"

This year, his bride and his brothers will be joining us at a Christmas gathering. I think I'll mark my packages as coming from "S. Claus, LLC". They'll know who it's from.

Collapse -
Believing in Santa Claus
by dhstx / December 24, 2013 7:21 AM PST

At age of 72, I have never stopped!

Collapse -
My dad...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 24, 2013 7:30 AM PST

... kept a banger ( firecracker ) from bonfire night. On Christmas eve there was a large explosion outside. Dad went out to investigate came back in and said well that's it son Santa shot himself.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
How could I ever stop believing?
by Mr Windows / December 24, 2013 11:05 AM PST

Almost daily, someone calls me Santa Claus. Fix their computer and you get called all kinds of nice things. But that's not what keeps me believing. It's the countless little things I see people doing for each other, every day. And I'm not talking about the big stuff here, like donating their time, or money to charity. Both of which are good ideas, by the way.

I'm talking about the little things, which people go out of their way to do for each other. Be it a surprise baby shower, to people helping out each other, right here on the CNET forums. Yes, I know there's a lot of my computer is better than yours, but more importantly, it's also a lot ordinary people, sharing their knowledge with other users, who mean nothing to them, Just for the sake of sharing.

I like to imagine them sitting there, reading a despite plea for help, and saying to themselves, I can answer that. Then actually taking the time to do so. We have a wonderful rescores here at CNET. It informs, educates, and yes, delights us. We should never, ever lose sight of that, or take it for granted.

Here's wishing you all, a Mary Christmas, Happy Holladay's, or however you say it, a magical time of year.

Regards,
Mr. Windows

Collapse -
Belief in Santa Claus renews itself.
by net2j / December 24, 2013 2:08 PM PST

As a small child, I learned about an entity called, Santa Claus. A magical man, that lived with his wife at the North Pole. He employed elves, to help him create wonderful toys for all the good children of the world. Before Christmas Eve they would pack up all the toys in a sleigh that was pulled by 8 (9 on foggy nights) magical flying reindeer. Santa would speedily traverse the entire world on Christmas Eve, to deliver the wonderful toy creations to deserving children. Every Christmas morning there was a present for me, from Santa Claus, under our Christmas tree. I had no doubt about Santa Claus. As I grew older and somewhat more mentally acute, I realized that Santa Claus must be a fictional entity, and not the real person I had thought that he was in my younger years. My belief in Santa Claus ended when I saw it as childishness. Many years later when I realized that this make believe entity is a very powerful human creation, an idyllic and wonderful expression of our ingenious imaginations, my belief in Santa Claus renewed itself. Now, I believe in Santa Claus differently; I understand he can be one of the most powerful forces creating happiness in our Universe. An imaginary excuse for creating and enjoying childhood delight.
Could God and our religions be understood as a similar benevolent expression of our human imaginations? A loving God created by and for humans, to ease our pain and suffering. An adult super hero, delighting in showing us the generous path, guiding us through our uncertain life, and our solace and comfort for a certain death. We may believe in Santa Claus and or God if we want to; it is not required. It seems natural to me that humans want to give expression of our appreciation for our opportunity to be alive. We may enjoy acknowledging with others our awareness or suspicion of something that is greater than reality or ourselves.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.