Networking & Wireless

General discussion

AT&T Wireless Data Plan - OUTRAGED!

by MichelleH78 / March 21, 2009 8:42 PM PDT

I bought a data connect card from AT&T Wireless last month. I chose the the largest plan available (5GB) and was told by the salesman that each GB would cover over 1000 e-mails. The goal was to use the card one day a week, while I work at home, so this seemed fine (I average about 100 e-mails a day at most, sent and received). At the end of the 1st day, I checked my usage. 10GB already! Yes boys and girls that is TWICE the covered usage in only 1 day. I was ONLY using the internet for connection to Outlook (via VPN) and my company's website for ONE day. Furious, I took the card back to AT&T and expressed my disbelief at the supposed usage. A different sales person said that I could not possibly have used so much data--that it would have been almost impossible to use this amount in one day. Another sales person gave him a half grin, sideways glance and then looked down. I cancelled the account then and there, returned the merchandise, closed the account, and got out of the store before punching this guy (I am usually not a violent person, but his smug response and inability to do anything about the pending usage charges were making me see red!). Fast forward 2 days--I called AT&T--to make sure the account was closed and check the damages--"No ma'am, there are no usage charges on your account. I show you only used about 4 MB of data." Phew. Relief. Issue dropped. Fast forward to today, about a month after the cancellation. I received a bill in the mail for--get this-- $560.51!!! The usage is listed as about 1.5 GB over the allowable 5GB. Which brings me to the reason for my post: WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THIS WRITTEN OFF? 8 hours of very limited use SHOULD NOT have racked up this many MB/GB of usage. About 60 e-mails were sent and received, with no attachments larger than 1MB. I am pissed and ready to file a law suit out of principle. Your thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance, Michelle

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T Wireless Data Plan - OUTRAGED!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T Wireless Data Plan - OUTRAGED!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you need to know is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 11:45 PM PDT

There is so much malware and spyware that will tap a machine and begin sending, receiving boatloads of data without the owner being much the wiser until the bills hit.

ATT is not liable for such issues so they are not the ones to fume at.

The good news is that moving 6+GB in your 4 hours of use (?) is technically impossible so be sure you maintain your cool and dispute it with that fact at every turn.

Be sure to write a letter to your credit reporting agencies if this goes to collection.

-> And losing your cool will slam the door on any amicable resolution. It's hard for some to do that but it does pay off.
Bob

Collapse -
Thats horrible...
by Branatee / March 25, 2009 5:56 AM PDT

Definately do your best to keep your cool. I know that has to be extremely frustrating but their must be some thing that ATT can do to work it out. I have had bad experiences with purchasing the data plans and the cards from ATT so I now rent those broadband cards from www.WifiRents.com and I know that during my rental I sent probably about 100 emails in a day and visited several websites and I didn't even come close to 2GB. The people working for ATT should know that normal surfing the net and emailing will not bring you close to that 5gb limit.

They may ask you if you were streaming movies or music for long periods of time because that can shoot the data usage up pretty high. Other than that I agree with the advice that has already been given.
Such a big company like ATT though should be able to take care of you in this situation.
Good Luck

Collapse -
deceptive billing practices
by x414 / May 10, 2009 7:53 AM PDT

i had some 'interesting' dealings wit ATT & their billing practices too...now i find same problems with comcast and WOW cable bundle...

so...i started a blog specifically for consumer complaints so we can share our experiences...if we cant get satisfaction from the ISP, maybe we can learn somethin from each other and be better equipped to deal with these companies...

i said all that to ask if you would repost this complaint and any updates u have...on my blog (http://badbidniz.wordpress.com)...i can respond and share with you my experiences with ATT and how it was resolved...your issue isnt uncommon...

i wont take time here to do that because this forum is for tech support, not to address consumer issues...

thx and hope to hear from u... -g-

Collapse -
Time for the BBB
by Shestarr / September 12, 2009 11:40 PM PDT

Very simple. Take ur complaint to the Better Business Buereau online. Go thru the process (normally doesn't last more than 10 days total. This will save u time as well as salvage your blood pressure, because these big companies strive 1000% to keep within good standing at the BBB. Then & only then will they take u seriously. I wish for you the best. ~KL

Collapse -
AT&T Wireless Data Plan - OUTRAGED! to: MichelleH78
by dak-d / February 10, 2012 8:24 AM PST

Hi,Saw your post, when looking at AT&T blog...

Found a 'usage' chart and hope this helps you fight the big boys. Googled:
"Internet usage chart" and below link (one of many) came up.
I have a
different one I use (but not the 'link' - just the chart, unable to copy or load
onto this email.

Googled web site: http://bpplanfinder.com/usage_calculator.phpNot a member or subscribed to forums. Feel free to email me on the outcome/fight. again, I do not belong to ANY chat forums...

Dak

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove exposed email address to prevent abuse by others and spam harvesters on 02/10/2012 at 4:48 PM PT

Collapse -
VPN = Bad for data
by hilltopper06 / April 2, 2012 10:59 PM PDT

Using a VPN is what killed you here. It would still be awful tough to hit that 10GB in a single day over ATT's network (unless you are LTE). A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is like bridging your internet connection to a remote one (work in this case) and looks like a LAN connection to software like outlook. The can push a ton of data. You would have been better off using Outlook Web Access or something similar instead of a VPN.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.