TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

AT&T U Verse vs Time Warner Cable

by jaxyanx / January 22, 2008 9:18 AM PST

Ive had digital cable from time warner as well as road runner internet access for years and Ive finally had it. The customer service at time warner is horrible.
AT&T is installing fiber-optics in my neiborhood and they will be up and running within 6 months. Does anyone here have expierence with this service?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T U Verse vs Time Warner Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T U Verse vs Time Warner Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
U-Verse user
by joruss1 / January 30, 2008 12:37 PM PST

I have had the U-Verse service for about a month and am very pleased with it. I had TW Extended Basic Cable and AT&T DSL. I get the same Internet speed and the U-Verse U-200 package (about 200 channels) for about the same price as the DSL - Extended Basic. The TV picture is slightly better than the cable. I don't have HDTV but all the equipment I got is HD ready. I think they charge $10 per month for the HD. It was a no brainer for me.

Collapse -
What about internet access.
by jaxyanx / February 21, 2008 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: U-Verse user

Whats the internet service like in U-Verse? I would like to have one provider for both HDTV and internet.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / February 22, 2008 2:37 PM PST

Collapse -
by deesmac--2008 / February 25, 2008 2:18 AM PST

I just switched from Cablevision to AT&T U-VERSE about a month ago. Overall, AT&T is cheaper, but there are some bugs. U-Verse is new, and I think they rushed it unto the market to compete with Cable. AT&T assures me they are aware of these problems, and just like the commercial says, They're Working On It. First, you can only view ONE HD TV at a time (this is a high priority for them-as well as me). Second, if you have their HD DVR (it's free, along with 2 more HD receivers) you can't copy an HD program and watch a different HD program, as there is only one available HD signal at this time (they're working on it). AT&T use's Motorola boxes (vip1216) which I don't believe are as good as Cablevisions (Scientific Atlanta). I'm told by customer service that AT&T is looking to switch to Scientific Atlanta boxes. Third, and this might not apply to most people (I have a Yamaha RX-V750 AV receiver and a Samsung VR357 DVD/VCR recorder, Samsung 43' DLP TV), when I want to record a HD program to DVD I have to change the aspect ratio from 10:80 to 4:3-pain in the butt! AT&T installed a new box, and it was the same. That's why they're looking at the Scientific Atlanta boxes. I'm going to give them some time to correct these problems before I make a decision about back to cable. I have the U400 package, the high speed internet Elite (faster then cable) and the all distance phone. U-Verse also offers more channels than Cable. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
what about the "on demand" feature for movies
by smorris800 / April 26, 2008 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: AT&T U-VERSE

I have time warner digital cable and although I'm ok with the basic services, I don't like their "on demand." I don't think they have enough current movie choices and they don't change their inventory often enough. How is U-verse with pay per view?

Collapse -
10000 titles
by erneststokes / January 30, 2012 3:15 AM PST

10000 titles

Collapse -
Speed Tests, U verse review
by robaroooo / December 10, 2008 10:00 AM PST

I took a $150 incentive to try ATT Uverse in Austin, Texas, just released in my neighborhood. I have TimeWarner for Roadrunner at 6M down/512K up. It took about 2 months to get Uverse installed after about 7 visits. The picture is pretty good, but only 1 HD stream at a time as I live at the edge of their network box. So much for Uverse DVR. Best Uverse HDTV quality is still about 10-15% inferior to over the air HDTV for watching football. Seems that Uverse is a bit less compressed than TimeWarner at my Dad's IMO.

More importantly, the ATT rep said their internet would be faster and more consistent. I am not seeing that. Ping times to my office via VPN are 3-4 times longer with ATT (45-115ms)than Roadrunner(18-20ms). Also, the speeds are on par with what I had with Roadrunner (about 5800K down/ 500-800 up (faster upload with ATT at cheaper plan). I don't see an upside to Uverse internet, and if anything some slow down on ping times. These were local pings by the way. Finally, while waiting to get Uverse, I asked TimeWarner for a faster connection option, and they offered 22M up/2M down for about the same price I was paying if I signed 2 year contract. During my 60d trial I actually got on average about 11M down/1.5M up which was pretty darn good. I don't think the elite Uverse at 10M down/1M up will beat that, but I will call ATT and find out if they will upgrade for same price (I don't see myself paying $50/m for the Elite).

I find this unimpressive compared to what I have read about Verizon FiOS. Verizon please save me from TW and ATT! I feel like both companies are holding back/monopolizing technology too much for maximum profits (particularly TW). I will probably go back to Roadrunner, get rid of cable TV and go with OTA plus MediaPC DVR complimented with Netflix bluray rentals and instant Netflix. Hope this helps and good luck everyone!

Collapse -
by Gamer012087 / December 31, 2008 6:47 AM PST

I am thinking about switching to ATT U-verse from Time Warner and i havn't seen anything about if ATT have any On-Demand Services like Time Warner. Can anyone tell me if they do?

Collapse -
U-verse update
by robaroooo / December 31, 2008 10:35 PM PST

So I talked to AT&T and told them about the deficiencies. After rebooting the system, I was able to record one HD stream while watching another. That makes the DVR usable IMO. I told them internet speed was unacceptable compared to cheaper roadrunner, and the U200 HDTV content was weak. AT&T upgraded to the U300 and faster internet plan for 6 months, same price of about $104/mo, although I have not seen the bill yet. I imagine taxes will be painful.

Anyway, I am satisfied with the internet speed for the price, although not faster than Roadrunner's best deal to keep me loyal. So, I did quit TW Roadrunner for now. Unfortunately, I don't really care for the additional content on U300. It amounts to watching more average movie choices on Starz and Showtime, on top of the other mediocre channels filled with commercials. I was getting adequate satisfaction recording over the air HDTV and if I was bored with no good over air content, I would surf the internet or watching Netflix. I will probably drop the TV portion of Uverse unless the price comes down substantially. I do think they have a good interface and expect it will improve over time. However, I was not impressed with any included on demand content with Uverse at this time.

I do think AT&T is a good competitor to TW and their customer service is really trying to gain confidence. On another related note, I highly recommend trying the iPhone. I was loyal to Verizon until I tried the Storm which was a big disappointment after waiting patiently, and further highlighted the OS deficiencies of my Blackberry Pearl. I switched to the iPhone the last day or so, and at today's price point, it is in a league of its own.

Collapse -
Uverse vs Roadrunner Update
by robaroooo / February 11, 2009 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: U-verse update

I cancelled Uverse TV portion and tried to keep the internet plan. ATT told me they would give me the faster speed 18down/1.5up at a discount of $35/mo. However, when I got my first bill I was disappointed to see the regular charge of $65/mo for the faster speed. I did see an improvement in ping times down to about 45-50ms, on par with Roadrunner. However, my wife needs to upload content to her office, and the 1.5 up is not as good as Roadrunner's 2M up, so we will be switching back to Roadrunner. Unfortunately, TW will not give me the previous loyalty deal I had a $36/mo for the 22down/2up. My new rate will be $50/mo instead of Uverse's $65. Moral of the story... don't listen to the sales reps who say one service is better than the other. Speeds are not dramatically different, at least at my house, and Roadrunner is the better value for internet without other services combined.

Collapse -
by mcmurdy1980 / December 31, 2008 10:19 AM PST

I build the u-verse thru a project called light speed. I am happy with the project and the way it looks. When I first started the job, I thought to myself how can you push that much bandwidth through standard cat 3 cable that's rated for 10 base t? See if you don't know the signal is sent thru fiber to a node that's in your neighborhood, and then pushed on to your standard copper lines to your house. They add DSL and VDSL (Video) along with with POTS (plain old telephone service). When I finally saw the service working, I was impressed. See, we spent hours dedicating pairs to your house, building the node, replacing old terminals, testing, repairing, and testing just to get the service working. That doesn't include the time it took to build the backbone fiber, electronics, updated, and home installation. The service makes standard def look clean. I have not seen high def yet, but I bet it looks great. I was impressed how the channels changed immediately with no delay at all. It's advertised that you can have 4 channels record at once for the DVR. The DSL is faster up to 10MBs.

I also believe this is a precursor for VOIP, but who knows what AT&T will do.

Granted I work for AT&T, but I am talking from a techs point of view, and I am not advertising. I just thought it would be nice to show you my point of view.

Collapse -
limitations of copper
by Pepe7 / February 11, 2009 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: U-verse

ATT knows it's a hybrid solution, as there's only so much bandwidth that can be squeezed through ancient copper pairs running into most of their customers' homes. That's why DOCSIS 3.0 will end up doing a lot of damage as that requires less work to ramp up speeds and QoS past what ATT can achieve currently in most of their service areas.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / December 31, 2008 11:29 AM PST

AT 12:01 AM JANUARY 1, 2009.

Good viewing,

Collapse -
AOL bought out Time Warner INC back years ago,
by ericdw5678 / December 24, 2011 6:01 AM PST

Check the facts, AOL bought out TWC inc long time ago then TWC regain control later on. Now twc split also a few years ago and now Time warner cable is there own company, they have no part of time warner inc.

Collapse -
Just switched from TW 2 AT&T
by ffhyatt / December 10, 2010 9:22 PM PST

I just switched to AT&T U from TW. Internet is slower which is disappointing, & Netflix streaming gets interrupted more frequently than it did with TW.

I'm glad to see someone shaking up TW. They need it but if AT&TU doesn't do something about the net speed I'm going to see what TW will offer to switch back.

Collapse -
At&t's Fibre optic is a dedicated line where as Time Warner'
by erneststokes / January 30, 2012 3:12 AM PST

At&t's Fibre optic is a dedicated line where as Time Warner's is a shared line that bogs down in the evening.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.