Phones forum

General discussion

AT&T Selection: Best Reception in Rural Areas (WA)

by us1roberts / February 28, 2008 2:28 AM PST

I am trying to upgrade a phone for my mother on my phone plan. She lives in a semi-rural area in Western Washington (about 25 miles south of Tacoma). We both currently use a Sony Ericsson z525a but she only receives spotty service at her house. Her friend who has an LG that is a few years old, can actually make and receive calls at her house, while the Sony can only send/receive text messages and voicemail. On a good clear day if you contort yourself just right in the window, you can call out, for about 5 seconds. This is literally the edge of the service area and could also be due to many large fir trees as the phones work great about 100ft down the street.

What I need to know is which manufacturers typically have the strongest signal reception? What are the best options out of AT&T's current lineup? We will probably switch in a month. I plan on getting a Blackberry Pearl, she'll probably take anything that's free to about $25. She's a cell phone minimalist, uses about 30 minutes a month on the bill, no cameras, wants biger buttons and a easy to read screen. I live in the city and don't have a land line. I just want to make sure this time around she can make the most of her cell phone and possibly ditch her overpriced land line too.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T Selection: Best Reception in Rural Areas (WA)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T Selection: Best Reception in Rural Areas (WA)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checked with a friend in Nebraska.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2008 3:13 AM PST

The consensus is to not go with ATT. His 20 buck trackfone on GSM is better at coverage. Remember, it's not the phone, it's the towers.

Bob

Collapse -
We've verified coverage...
by us1roberts / February 28, 2008 5:37 AM PST

Unfortunately in Washington, ATT has the best coverage area. We've tried them all (Verizon, Qwest, T-Mobile, Sprint (is a joke here) and ATT is the only one that seems to actually have 1 bar at her house. Like I said, other ATT customers have no problems, so at that point it becomes dependent on the phone. I had a brick Nokia work there, but not a Motorola. Her friend has some old LG and it calls in/out great with ATT in that area. I have heard that older phones with a pull out antenna tend to get a smidge more reception than phones with internal antennas.

I've tried to convince her to do the "go-phone" set up but she'd never refill the minutes and that'd be about the time an emergency arises.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.