Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

AT&T or Comcast?

by malexandre / June 26, 2006 2:36 AM PDT

I am about to upgrade my internet connection from dialup to high speed internet, and I was wondering if annyone could tell me which works better: AT&T Yahoo DSL or Comcast High Speed internet. They are both the same price, and both have speeds of up to 6 MB/PS. What Im basicly asking, is which will bring me the higher speeds most often. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T or Comcast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T or Comcast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Basically. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 26, 2006 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: AT&T or Comcast?

It's the difference between cable (coax) and fiber. Fiber tends to be a little more complicated on installation. If it was me I'd flip a coin.

I currently have Comcast cable and get a solid 6 Meg speed. I've not been able to test FiOS (fiber) from Verizon. Although they are boring my street as I type, and I'll have a chance to get into a bidding war. I'll keep Comcast if they sweeten the deal price-wise as I pay 54 bucks a month for Comcast. Verizon is offering 11 Meg down and two Meg up for 39 bucks. It'll be a hard choice, but not much. Twice the speed at almost half the price? Yep.

If I change, the only downside will be changing my email address.

Collapse -
Budget
by malexandre / June 26, 2006 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Basically. . .

So basicly, you dont reccomend Comcast? I am only willing to spend $29.99 a month, with speeds of atleast 6 MB/PS. What is my best option?

Collapse -
I love comcast. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 26, 2006 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Budget

1.) It never breaks.

2.) The speed is constant.

3.) There's no commitment which with that price with AT&T I'll bet there is. Maybe an introductory offer and later the price goes up?

I'd have no problem with AT&T. The choice is really yours as they both offer the same service, although delivered differently. If I can get the same service for less money I will change. I'm loyal but I'm also cheap. Here is a good link to compare services:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/

Collapse -
ATT is Faster
by Att_is_Better / January 1, 2011 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: Basically. . .

I recently change my service to comcast where I can get 15Mbps for $30/mo, just give it a try to see which is better. I try both to ping yahoo.com. Att return faster time, around 20ms, Comcast return average 60ms. Then I put Trace route to yahoo.com (command is c:\tracert www.yahoo.com). Comcast give 16hops, where Att gives 9 hops, ATT is faster.
-Here is something you can do, if you have both high speed internet service, do a trace route (c:\tracert www.somewebsite here.com) and get the result.

Comcast result:
Tracing route to any-fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com [209.191.122.70]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 66 ms 40 ms 19 ms c-67-164-28-1.hsd1.ca.comcast.net [67.164.28.1]
2 7 ms 9 ms 9 ms te-5-1-ur10.sanjose.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.85.190.205]
3 9 ms 8 ms 12 ms te-0-1-0-6-ar01.oakland.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.85.155.221]
4 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms pos-0-6-0-0-cr01.sacramento.ca.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.225]
5 13 ms 60 ms 15 ms pos-0-9-0-0-cr01.sanjose.ca.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.181]
6 44 ms 13 ms 27 ms 4.71.118.9
7 17 ms 18 ms 17 ms vlan99.csw4.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.68.18.254]
8 45 ms 23 ms 23 ms ae-92-92.ebr2.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.69.134.221]
9 26 ms 32 ms 55 ms ae-2-2.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.132.14]
10 68 ms 56 ms 69 ms ae-3-3.ebr3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.132.78]
11 59 ms 57 ms 62 ms ae-1-60.edge3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.145.8]
12 58 ms 58 ms 59 ms YAHOO-INC.edge3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.79.182.2]
13 60 ms 58 ms 62 ms ae-2-d121.msr1.mud.yahoo.com [216.115.104.91]
14 59 ms 60 ms 58 ms te-6-2.fab1-a-gdc.mud.yahoo.com [209.191.78.145]
15 60 ms 60 ms 58 ms te-9-2.bas-c1.mud.yahoo.com [209.191.78.169]
16 59 ms 57 ms 65 ms ir1.fp.vip.mud.yahoo.com [209.191.122.70]
Trace complete.

Here is ATT result: ATT give better routing. It route to different IP address than comcast
Tracing route to any-fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com [72.30.2.43]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms home [192.168.0.1]
2 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms adsl-68-125-51-254.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net [68.125.51.254]
3 27 ms 27 ms 25 ms dist1-vlan50.pltnca.sbcglobal.net [64.164.97.65]
4 56 ms 39 ms 35 ms ag1-10g0-12-2-0.pltnca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.102.222]
5 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms ppp-151-164-52-163.rcsntx.swbell.net [151.164.52.163]
6 19 ms 17 ms 17 ms asn10310-yahoo-10g.eqsjca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.248.58]
7 21 ms 19 ms 17 ms ae-0-d231.msr2.sk1.yahoo.com [216.115.106.143]
8 47 ms 41 ms 35 ms te-8-1.bas-k2.sk1.yahoo.com [68.180.160.11]
9 23 ms 21 ms 21 ms ir1.fp.vip.sk1.yahoo.com [72.30.2.43]

Trace complete.

Collapse -
comcast, please
by wide_flange / June 26, 2006 3:55 AM PDT

I have used both services, well SBC, before they became AT&T. Here is something else you may want to consider. I have had no problems with Comcast customer services, whereas AT&T, anytime you call them, expect to be on hold for at least 20 to 30 minutes. With comcast, you will be able to talk to someone within 5 to 10 minutes. There is no tech support or customer service during the weekend with AT&T. Another thing to consider is that there is probably a 12 month contract with AT&T and no contract with Comcast.

Collapse -
I like AT&T myself
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / June 27, 2006 5:07 AM PDT

No hidden upload cap, as some cable ISP's have.

Collapse -
Speed Freak
by rcoupe / June 27, 2006 8:22 AM PDT

I used both services so I can give you the pros and cons.

Pros
1. Comcast packages cable TV and broadband
2. They are now packaging VOIP which I currently have ATT VOIP. Thinking about switching when the price drops for Comcast.
3. I get speeds up to 36 MBps when I am wireless at this coffee shop in Oakland City Center.
4. Comcast is a bit high. I don't understand why they reward newbies when they have loyal customers they are screwing by keeping their rates high. It was like this when I was a loyal customer with Earthlink and they put the screws to me. They no longer get my money.

Cons
1. Comcast has no dialup service to my knowledge so if you can't get WiFi, you have to go with a freebie 56K service.
2. ATT/SBC formerly/Yahoo really sucked in service department. They literally used outsourcing service which I was convinced was in India. They could barely understand english let a lone the technical issues to get you hooked up.
3. You literally can go for days without human contact if you use their internet help. I pretty much had to figure out the DSL issues on my own.
4. Some of the DSL problems were with wireless in my apartment. Put the wireless receiver near the Computer Monitor (tube type monitor with huge transformer knocs out wireless).
5. Comcast had its problems. When I first got service, I had to call out service 4 or 5 times since the digital signal was so poor, it was marginal and really impacted my digital TV signal. There are no amplifiers so you have to pray to sort out complex wiring of a large home. I was sharing wiring with my landlord.
6. Since I live just 20 miles outside of San Francisco, I get more expensive Comcast service. The folks living in the City have it better with concentrated market but they have to put up with urban scum and psychos screaming at the top of their lungs on the street corners!!

I saw a TV program with all the top CEOs (Comcast, ATT, Disney, Cisco,etc) saying they are going to rule the world when they can bring the internet and TV experience wherever you go. I've been waiting for five years now but can see the improvements over time.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Collapse -
comcast sucks
by Tonish51 / July 14, 2010 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Speed Freak

Where I live Comcast sucks. Its not out in the country its near a huge city. Comcast goes down for various reasons. Especially the internet. You call you get the same crud every time . Have you tried turning off your modem, have you tried restarting your computer. Most people are not that silly if they have a computer. I have had to call Comcast a million times. Had people (whom I had to wait for and didn't show have the time) only to come and tell me I don't see whats wrong. FINALLY someone with a brain came out and found out the line outside had water in it. That fixed it for a while. Then the modem went poof. I called 12 times to figure out what was going on. Same thing over and over again. Unplug the modem, turn off your computer. Come to find out it was the modem that time. Took 5 months and a huge amount of rude people to get it taken care of. Comcast customer service is horrible. They are rude!!! I would like to switch to at&t but not sure. Comcast came here and basically they have a monopoly on the cable. I would LOVE to have the other company back. I thought there was something that prevents companies from monopolizing an area. "An economic advantage held by one or more persons or companies deriving from the exclusive power to carry on a particular business or trade or to manufacture and sell a particular item, thereby suppressing competition and allowing such persons or companies to raise the price of a product or service substantially above the price that would be established by a free market." Which is what they have done here. There is no other cable companies since they bought out the other company. I have had CS people hang up on me. All because they are being rude. Don't go with Comcast. Not only are the prices to high but they have no competition. The prices are horrible also. And they constantly go up ..finding new things to charge you for. Its amazing LOL.

Collapse -
Running Both Comcast & AT&T U-Verse
by chicago_badboy / August 5, 2010 1:04 AM PDT

I am actually running both Comcast & AT&T UVerse... I've been a Comcast customer for 8 months and AT&T for a little over 6 months. Now both my plans are 12meg on the download... and here is my pros and cons list.
=======================
COMCAST PROS:
1)Advertised speed of 12meg is actually about that
=======================
COMCAST CONS:
1)Costly.. $62.95 (as of 08/01/10) if not bundled with a Xfinity TV/Telephone package which is always over $100 and then the 6 month package really only lasts 5 months then you have to haggle with them to drop your price again.. its a big circle of frustration when it comes to the bill. my last bill exploded to $185+, see for youself here

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab61/chicago_badboy/?action=view&current=comcastIMG00111-20100805-0953.jpg

2) Customer Service sucks. Alot of "attitude" going on.

3) During "heavy" periods when people get home or on the weekends, INTERNET SUCKS!.. the speed might be there but getting the service to actually accept your website choice is painful, you tend to get alot of "Unable to View Desire Website" errors...

4) and finally... there is a cap on how much stuff you can view / download on Comcast... I dont know what the magic cutoff number is but after that you are thrown to the back of the bus.. meaning watching a 10:00 min youtube video can actually take a couple hours to view by the time if completely "buffers"

a little side note... my internet stopped working one time and it honesty took 3 days, 5 techs, and 3 vehicles outside my house to repair... it was ridiculous.. you can see for yourself

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab61/chicago_badboy/?action=view&current=comcast_dudesIMG00357.jpg

=======================
AT&T PROS:
1) Advertised speed of 12meg is actually about that

2) Price... not bad $45

3) I've really never dealt with customer service, to me that means I haven't been frustrated at something that I need to complain about.. which is a plus.

4) and there a NO "HEAVY" PERIODS ... almost ways instant internet access and NO CAP, seems unlimited.

=======================
AT&T CONS:
1)Big Modem/Router, darn this thing is huge looks like a flying saucer, i needed a full shelf for it...

2) They have monopolized the IPhone. lol

Based on MY experience, with both services I choose AT&T. your opinion will be different based on your experiences.

Collapse -
Go with cable for sure
by tblynch / August 6, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

I've recently dumped ATT due to constant outages, low throughputs, etc.
Go with cable for reliability and speed...trust me.

Collapse -
Go with AT&T
by pauly1651 / August 13, 2010 10:51 AM PDT

I use AT&T DSL for my house.
Sometimes it slows down some, but nothing too bad.
Customer service is great, have never had an issue with them.
I use the 2WIRE box, it works great as well. Both wireless for the laptops, and hard wire for the desktops. Price is easy on the wallet.
Go with AT&T.

Collapse -
COMCAST IS THE WAY TO GO
by Stoowyguy / August 19, 2010 4:22 AM PDT

I highly recommend Comcast High Speed Internet. Comcast is VERY fast compared to SBC services. If I downloaded something with Comcast Services I will be downloading at 2mbps with SBC I will download at about 300 Kbps which is extremely slow price wise it really is worth it. I have Comcast Fiber Optic 100mbps

Collapse -
Clearwire
by RobersonG / October 4, 2010 1:46 PM PDT

Don't go to Clearwire! I have used Comcast in Houston, Tx. Service works until power outage, then goes down. It is faster than DSL. DSL up most time, when cable is down, but you get less speed for your money. I tried Clear as a way to work around these issues. Paying 45.00 for unlimited download. t worked very good at first but they have now over sold the service and are imposing limits on use. Not getting what am paying for.

Collapse -
AT&T
by zxxxt / October 6, 2010 5:18 PM PDT

I go with AT&T. They got less complaints from all the forums I've been to and it is cheaper too.

Collapse -
AT&T
by Flare_Wyvern / January 31, 2014 6:14 PM PST

My dad works for AT&T so I know for a fact that there is tech support on weekends. And as of 2015 AT&T will be reaching speeds that cable companies like comcast can't touch. Not without tearing up every underground cable and completely rewiring every single one. And it's not just based on opinions there is a clear difference if u read the fine print that Comcast doesn't want u to notice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.