Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

AT&T DSL vs. Comcast Cable

by libelula / July 28, 2009 9:47 AM PDT

I am considering switching from Comcast cable internet to AT&T DSL internet. My current speeds are: download -- 14 Mbps; upload -- 1.5 Mbps. What kind of difference will I see if my download speed goes down to 3 Mbps?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T DSL vs. Comcast Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T DSL vs. Comcast Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A lot.
by Coryphaeus / July 28, 2009 10:01 PM PDT

Pages will load slower, downloads will be slower, videos will probably be choppy. Oh! You're getting a slower connection.

My father-in-law has DSL. My Comcast connection blows him away.

Collapse -
Lot worse, Just like downgrade from BMW to Pinto!
by tvn3124 / January 15, 2011 12:51 AM PST

ATT offers 1.5Mbps download for true delivering of 650Kbps in realtime, true 1.3Mbps for 3Mbps ads, no opinion on ATT-DSL-6Mbps since I've worked with it. ATT delivers its lowest speeds in the brandwidth range. Their billing is quite better, less cheating than that of Comcast. Get 4G connection from Verizon or Sprint, you won't have to deal with misleading vendors and disgraded corporations.

Collapse -
Wait a minute!
by ahtoi / January 15, 2011 6:02 AM PST

You are telling me that Verizon and Sprint do not mislead? That maybe true, but using omission, they tell you nothing. I believe Apple start using this "4G" thing, and now.. everyone is doing it..but they never define what 4G is..and I am getting sick and tire of it already. They IMPLIED how wonderful 4G is but says NOTHING (I am implying Verizon). Now I feel better....hehe.

Collapse -
Apple 4G
by bill012 / January 16, 2011 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Wait a minute!

Be very careful, what apple is calling 4G is not related in any way to cell technology. This is the normal apple doing its own thing knowing full well that other are using similar terminology. I suspect apple will most likely call its phone 5G that supports the high speed wireless. They will wait until this summer so that all the people that paid for Iphone 4G on verizon will pay again to upgrade so that they can really use the verizon "4G" service.

I will agree every vendor misleads and all the "4G" cell systems will never be as fast as many home broadband. All the so called "4G" systems are much faster than the low end DSL connection. But the market is different, I would like to see how fast verizon FIOS is in a moving car.

The key to any of this is understanding exactly which technology is being used to deliver the service, it is very easy then to compare. Most people have very few options depending what type of wire comes into their house. The vendor that offers the service will be limited by this.

Collapse -
That's my exact complain;
by ahtoi / January 17, 2011 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Apple 4G

I can't see how any average person know exactly what they are getting after reading their advertisement. All I know was it's "4G" and seemed "FAST" (yeah..right).

Collapse -
lol apple 4G
by REPAIRTEX / May 9, 2012 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Apple 4G

4G is actually a preset standard transfer rate of 1GB per second while sitting still. Wikipedia '4G' before you flame this. That was decided years ago. Seriously. We don't even have the technology to do that in a phone. Any phone. I would give my firstborn for a Gigabit Droid. So its like "All Natural" or ''Nano Technology" It's all a marketing gimmick. Motor oil is 'all natural' but doesn't make it health to snack on.

Collapse -
Spent 2 hours today unable to verify my own identity to AT&T
by REPAIRTEX / May 9, 2012 8:20 PM PDT

To the OP: I pay $23 per month for a non-bundled 6Mbs DSL which is AT&T's fastest DSL I believe. That is a little less than half of your current download speed. However, I have never achieved a speedtest above 5Mbs. So, if cost is not the determining factor, you might reconsider the advice vomited out by previous posters.

I live in North San Antonio (don't know if that matters) and spent 2 hours trying unsuccessfully to cancel my AT&T service today.

Oh, I also have a data cap of 150GB which is about 20 movies total and i reach my limit for the month. Trust me, the AT&T overcharge suckerpunch will knock the wind out of you when you see the bill. Overcharges are about $0.50 cents per kilobyte.

Collapse -
Most ISP providers mislead their customers
by tvn3124 / January 23, 2011 4:32 AM PST

It's hard to provide you with a number since you haven't yet been with ATT. I however can give you the number I'm CURRENTLY have with ATT-DSL, it's 43Kbps download for the ATT-DSL BasicEthernetSerive-1.5Mbps (!!!) Draw your own conclusion before you switch. I have called ATT-TechSupports but so far no help, no cure. Most ISP providers are cheating their customers, ATT are much worst compared to others, are they not?

Collapse -
Becareful if you expect Comcast to support you in the future
by mrcoryhallsr / April 26, 2012 12:10 PM PDT

I was a customer for 15 plus years. I have moved to an area of the country where Comcast is not available and they have cancelled my email account. Everyone I have talked to in the last 15-20 years knows my email - now it is gone. Below is the conversation I had with them.

Customer: My Issue: I want to talk to a manager!
analyst Nonalyn has entered room
Nonalyn: Hello Customer, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Nonalyn. Please give me one moment to review your information.
Nonalyn: Hi there! Let me give you a warm smile to make your day even brighter! I look forward to helping you today.
Nonalyn: Customer, I understand you want to talk to a manager.
Nonalyn: I always remain committed and focused to provide you quality customer service at my fullest effort. Before anything else, I want to extend apologies for any trouble, inconvenience and frustration your issue has brought along your way. I still honestly hope you're fine.
Nonalyn: May I know what is bothering you?
Customer: Are you a manager?
Nonalyn: No Customer, I am not but while I am checking if a manager is available, I would like to know what the problem is so that I can inform this to a manager once one is available.
Customer: Please have a Manager talk to me - I mean no disrespect - Thanks you
Nonalyn: Okay, I understand Customer.
Customer: Thanks
Nonalyn: Please give me 2 minutes to check for a manager who is available to attend to your needs.
Customer: I appreciate you help
Nonalyn: You are welcome!
Nonalyn: Thank you for waiting patiently. We are proud of our Customer Guarantee, which includes being here for you, 24/7! You have reached the right department to help you with the login concern.
Nonalyn: Please give us 2 minutes more Customer.
Nonalyn: I am still waiting for a manager.
Customer: ok
Nonalyn: By the way, do you know that aside from having email access, your Comcast username has a lot more capabilities? You may actually do online billing using it via Customer Central. You may also add up to 6 email secondary accounts to be used by your loved ones and friends. Furthermore, you can use it to download the latest version of Norton Antivirus for free via
Customer: Please quit with the sales stuff. I'm not very happy with Comcast at this point....
Nonalyn: Okay, I understand. No worries, they are free features and not meant to sell. I will transfer you shortly Customer.
Nonalyn: Would there be anything else I can assist you with before the transfer?
Customer: no thanks for you help
Nonalyn: You are most welcome!
Nonalyn: It was a pleasure assisting you today. The transfer will only take a few seconds. Thank you for choosing Comcast where we always value your business Customer!
Nonalyn: Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst
analyst Raymond has entered room
analyst Nonalyn has left room
Raymond: Hello, Customer.
analyst Nonalyn has left room
Customer: Hi Raymond - Are you a manager
Raymond: Yes I am. How may I help?
Customer: I need to understand why my email account has stopped. Just because I have moved to an area where Comcast isn't available. I was in Spain for six months and I used Comcast. I have been a customer for over 10-20 years. Why would you cancel my email account?
Raymond: Thank you for the information, Customer. The Comcast email account is a added feature of the Internet service and once the service for Internet is disconnected, the email account will be made inactive. The Email Username needs to have an active internet service to be active.
Customer: That is the Comcast's answer to keeping a customer? Thanks Raymond.
Raymond: I see that you have recently disconnected the Comcast service. I you need to continue using the Comcast email, your Username can be fostered on a friends or family members Comcast Internet account as a secondary email account.
Raymond: For this to be processed, we need to have permission form the account holder that will accept your Username. Also the disconnected account needs to be cleared form any balance that is reflected on the account.
Customer: Are you telling me I can retrieve emails sent to an address I've had with Comcast for years? How?
Raymond: Until we move the Username to an active account, we will not be able to reactivate the username, Customer.
Customer: After all the money I've spent with Comcast you are not going to keep my email account open. Even though you can see I move a lot? Do you think I will let my friends know? Hello!!!
Raymond: If you have friends or family members with Comcast that will agree to add your username on their account, the Username will be usable.
Raymond: In that way, even if you no longer have a Comcast service of your own, the Username can remain active.
Customer: Raymond, thank you for the insight. Can I speak to your boss?
Raymond: Currently we have no one higher than I in the office that you can speak with. However, if you are planning to send your email from the Comcast account to a non-Comcast, I may be able to leave this open for approximately 24 hours. Will this work for you?
Customer: Hi Raymond, Sorry 24 hours is not long enough. I have been using this email for over 15 years. Everyone I talk to knows this email. Give me 3 years and I'll change over to another email provider and I will be happy. Ok 3 months. but be assured I will never be a Comcast advocate. I have never had this kind of issue - WHY THE CHANGE?????
Raymond: As mentioned earlier the Email Username is part of the Internet service. Without an active internet service a Username will eventually be removed from the system automatically. The work around to keep the username active is to move it to an account with an active internet service. This is the option that we have for customers that want to continue to use the Email Username even after the account has been closed.
Raymond: This process has been around for some time. This was made to give consideration to the customers that want to continue to use the Email.
Customer: Thanks for nothing Raymond! Why doesn't Comcast allow a forwarding email when you are no longer a customer? Love the customer service and retention program. don't worry I'll post this on the net and let current customers be made aware
Customer: good day sir!
Customer: Raymond why don't you add me to your account?
Raymond: I am sorry for the situation, Customer. We have a work around for your request, all the is needed is someone that will take your Username. I am sorry; however we cannot use our account for this purpose.
Raymond: I advise for you to ask someone with an active Internet service with us to allow you to add your Username under their account.
Customer: Do you have an active account? Why don't you add me to your account?
Customer: Comcast is not available in my area....
Customer: Step up Raymond be the guy that goes the extra mile. Why should I ask someone I don't know to carry my email??????
Raymond: The account that we have is for business use and we have no way of attaching a customer's email to that. The Active account does not need to be in your area, you will only need permission form a friend or a family member to add the account.
Customer: Well, ask your mom if she can carry me? Does that make sense? me either....
Raymond: We offer the option above for this kind of situation. Without an active account, there is no other way to keep an email username active.
Customer: I can't believe this is the best answer you can provide. The key in your response is "CUSTOMER" although it is sorry customer; find someone else to carry you while you don't have a current account. But if you come back next year we'll be happy to take your money.... GOOD DAY SIR

Collapse -
(NT) Oh and what happened to DDR4?
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.