Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

AT&T DSL repeatedly drops--no solutions work

by simracerworld / December 28, 2008 6:26 AM PST

Alrighty here...You've probably covered stuff like this a zillion times, but here's one that nobody seems to be able to fix.

My AT&T DSL repeatedly drops connections--I'd say thirty-forty times a day. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, whether I'm on ethernet or wireless, or even on USB--the router loses the connection. We've had AT&T at the house, where they told us that OUR wiring was bad and charged us a nice chunk of cash to replace the phone wiring from their box to our house--nothing changed. It's been doing this for two years and we don't see changing ISPs as an option--Charter charges a LOT to run wires to individual houses in my area and Comcast doesn't appear to be available. Any and all suggestions are welcome and will be tried!

ISP: AT&T
Router: 2WIRE 1701HG

Any other information needed, let me know and I will provide it!

Thank you VERY much in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T DSL repeatedly drops--no solutions work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T DSL repeatedly drops--no solutions work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you
by PudgyOne / December 28, 2008 7:55 AM PST

set things up like the Forum Sticky suggests?

You need a DSL Filter on all devices, phone, answering machine faxes, ets..., everything except the DSL Modem/router, itself.

You may share a DSL Filter.

wall > DSL Filter > splitter > multiple devices

Using any cordless phones, especially that are 2.4gh will interfere with the connection, since the use the same frequency.

Rick

Collapse -
Filters
by simracerworld / December 28, 2008 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Did you

Yup, we made sure we had filters on everything. Had to go to extra trouble due to the two-line phone system, but we have the CORRECT filters and they are working. We have the AT&T-specified two line filter with the DSL bypass that the router is plugged into. That shouldn't be a problem here.

Collapse -
Cordless phones
by PudgyOne / December 28, 2008 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Filters

You and/or your neighbors?

Wireless router setup like the forum sticky suggests? Type of security you're using?

Made and model of computer having the problem.

Rick

Collapse -
Some people will persist, but not me
by samkh / December 28, 2008 2:00 PM PST
In reply to: Filters

Return the 2Wire modem/router to AT&T and tell them to give you a modem only. Then spend a few bucks on a brand name wireless-g or -n router and you'll have more control over what each device does.

Collapse -
Yup
by simracerworld / December 28, 2008 2:22 PM PST

We have a 900mhz cordless phone, no clue about the neighbors--but I sorta doubt that'd affect computers on the LAN also?

Computers are half laptops(HP/Compaq/Apple iBook), half desktops(HP, a few homebuilts, iMac C2D). About half/half AMD/Intel, various wireless chipsets(Linksys USB54G, USB54GS, v1/v2/v4, D-link something, various Intel/Atheros laptop Mini-PCI adapters), various OSes(XP, Vista, OSX Tiger, OSX Leopard). We've been around computers a while, built over 50--it's not a computer problem, it's a modem or connection problem. That at least I am sure of.

The modem still is affected via the builtin ethernet and the USB even--it's not just a wireless issue. Therefore, our security(WEP I think?) shouldn't matter.

I'll try the suggestion about the modem--though I may try to find another of the same model or similar model to see whether it has similar results first.

Collapse -
That's NOT
by PudgyOne / December 28, 2008 6:17 PM PST
In reply to: Yup

what the forum sticky suggests. Try WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security andall the rest of the settings, you'll be surprised.

WEP can be hacked.

Rick

Collapse -
WEP is busted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: Yup

Sorry but if you are to get away from the usual issues you either follow our admonishments in the forum sticky or if you don't use wifi, disable it so it can't be the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Ooooops...
by simracerworld / December 28, 2008 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: WEP is busted.

I just realized that I forgot to mention this earlier:

It did this BEFORE this modem/router, with a straight modem, which didn't have wireless at all. And still, I can't see how my authentication method could cause the modem to repeatedly lose the connection with the server. I have in the past completely disabled the wireless as a test and only used the ethernet, and I encountered the same problem.

The modem also only supports WPA -- Not WPA2. And even better, several of the devices on the network use the original Apple Airport cards, which to the best of my knowledge don't play with WPA. Sorry, but that's not a solution here.

Collapse -
"I can't see how my authentication method could cause the mo
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Ooooops...

"I can't see how my authentication method could cause the modem to repeatedly lose the connection with the server."

I know it is hard to accept such an idea but it has happened and others have paid my tech friends to go fix this. I also know that some demand a demonstration of the issue. We oblige them for the support fees incurred. Seems a shame and a waste of time but we make money on such demos.

PLEASE! This is all about people sharing with others about what's been discovered and not about any posturing or attitude. I apologize if I hurt any feelings but let's try to get what we've seen under control and not a possible source of trouble?

Since you can't move to WPA and we all know that WEP even with MAC filtering is busted there is nothing more we can do here.

-> If you say it drops out without WIFI then you have an issue to deal with your ISP. We are not your ISP so all that is left is what I loan out from time to time.

I have this older but stable DSL modem that works in our area. We slip out the owners modem and install ours and a router *running OpenWrt then retest.

--->>> Tell me again what the problem is. I had one owner complaining about drops during P2P downloads. That's not supportable. And how would you tell them that?
Bob

Collapse -
Alrighty then...
by simracerworld / December 29, 2008 3:37 AM PST

Well then, I guess it's time to look for a different ISP, as AT&T hasn't seemed too interested in helping me in the past. Thanks for the help!

Problem is that the modem randomly loses connection, even if everything except the power and phone line is unplugged. If you're surfing the internet, it appears as a stall for five or more minutes. The biggest outage was nine hours--in which AT&T repeatedly insisted that their entire system was up, despite the neighbors confirming that it was down!!!!!!

Oh well, gotta love phone companies with a local monopoly...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.