Internet Services Providers

General discussion

AT&T DSL Problems

by Gerardo_U / January 16, 2010 11:22 AM PST

My ISP is ATT (dsl elite) and the current modem is a Westell (style: mstatea), though I've also used their Motorola that is sold at BestBuy, with a Linksys router (WRT54G). My pc's are both wired and wireless, have WinXPs and Vistas.

For some time now I've had intermittent connection problems. I've contacted ATT on several occasions and some of the responses have been faulty or burn out modems (I've gone through 4 in less than a year), line problems (which they resolved by adding a switch box on the jack that I have my modem connected to), and mysterious power outages that no one seems to experience. But the problem persists, and quite honestly, I'm tired of them telling me it?s a bad modem and just writing the whole thing off (it's not an electricity problem either, I've had the line tested, use surge protectors, and no other devices have suffered). The router doesn't seem to be the problem either since my network itself will remain intact, it will just lose internet connectivity (Linksys was not able to assist with the modem issues). Also, all other setup has remained the same for at least 4 years (wires, location, etc).

The problem presents itself by having the modem reset itself, at random intervals, and it will keep resetting itself for a few minutes, to a couple of days (I try to use these events to contact ATT so they can more clearly see the issue). Sometimes it will just reset so that the DSL light goes red, then does a cycle and goes back to green, with no other affects, other times all the settings info (user name & passwords etc) gets reset to manufacturer defaults. I've bypassed the router and the problem presents itself as well. This problem repeats itself with both types of modems (westell & motorola) and as far as I understand it, their DSL signal only works with their modems, so I don't have many other choices on that matter.

I'm at a loss as to what else I can try to resolve this problem. I've had AT&T for over 10 years and hadn't had any issues prior to this, so I'm hoping to find a solution that doesn't involve changing ISPs.

Thanks for any assistance in this matter.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T DSL Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T DSL Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My neighbor had a similar story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: AT&T DSL Problems

Verizon instead but I was able to load him my old dsl modem and router which I set up for him as a test. The old dsl modem was rock stable but his dsl modem+router (which had its own router) was not.

It took him a few weeks to let it sink in where the issue was and I fear that's true for most of us. At least he could unplug one and use the other while he mulled it over. Eventually he came to the same conclusion it was the DSL modem at fault.

Now the bad news. He spent almost the entire day on the phone with tech support while they tried this or that and finally some tech called the modem bad after 4 hours of phone time.

They replace the modem and then it all worked.

This story has repeated at too many homes across the country.
Bob

Collapse -
Poor modem quality
by Gerardo_U / January 17, 2010 4:45 AM PST

If that is the case then, are there any other ATT-compatible modems that I can try? Having to buy a new modem every 3-4 months at $50-60 a piece is ridiculous. ATT only replaced one of them without charge and that?s because it had been less then a month since I bought it, and no one will sell 'extended' warranties for them.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 10:53 AM PST

I meant LOAN.

If you are near Boston I have that Westell on freecycle and it still works. The only issue I ever have with DSL is getting the provisioning done. Many don't know the settings so that kills off most owners from replacing their own modems.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=linksys+dsl+modem

Sorry but I have yet to find DSL modems to be locked to any ATT or Verizon. I just put in the user account, code and it works. I apologize that I can't write a tutorial on this but that's all I do.

Bob

Collapse -
Locked?
by Gerardo_U / January 17, 2010 2:26 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

By this do you mean compatible with a carrier? I only mentioned that because that is what ATT's people told me when I asked for a different modem, and it was then confirmed to me by the BestBuy people. I did try an older 2Wire modem, and while that was much more stable (it seemed to have a conflict with my router from time to time, but nothing mayor), it's internal firewall could not be updated or turned off, and I was attacked by a nasty virus (fortunately only one of my pcs caught it, I've forgotten the name of it). I'm in CA, and while I can't think of anyone who I can ask for a modem to try, I think I'll go ahead and just get a new DSL that's not ATT's. From all the tech support I've dealt with, I know how to change most of the settings. Thanks for your assist. If my choices are not limited for the modem, hopefully my problem will be resolved.

Collapse -
(it seemed to have a conflict with my router from time to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Locked?

The old DOUBLE NAT setup is sometimes trouble. There are ways on most DSL MODEM ROUTERS to put them into BRIDGE MODE.

I apologize that I don't write a tutorial here but google finds lots of folk that have.

Bob

Collapse -
Try a different adsl modem
by JErnieS / January 25, 2011 12:52 AM PST

I had a similar problem and went to a Zomm ADSL modem. It works great and autoconfigures.

Collapse -
Sorry, my reply had a typo in it :-)
by JErnieS / January 25, 2011 4:41 AM PST

I meant to say that I had purchased a Zoom ADSL modem (model 5615B). It is capable of autoconfiguring. All I had to do was connect it up in place of the AT&T modem and power it on. Works has worked great for a few years.
Ernie

Collapse -
give it up with att&dsl
by tvn3124 / January 23, 2011 4:18 AM PST

If you talked to the wall at ATT-DSL TechSupports, then I guess you have no more solutions. I have call this TS number of times regarding my DSL-1500 running at 43kbps (!!!) and there is no change, no help, no solution; yet I still have 8month contract. You better call Comcast to see if there is anything call ATT-COMCAST if you don't want to be unloyal to AT&T!

Collapse -
AT&T DSL
by JimDeere / January 27, 2011 5:54 AM PST

Cant tell you how many hours I have spent; half of them on hold, the other half being transferred around their "customer disservice". I have DSL with dl spd of 1.5mbps. The line tests at about 1.1 mbps which AT&T says is withing the acceptable range. However even when I am the only one my internal network, I still timeout when trying to access my company email (Outlook 97) thru VPN. We also try to access netflix thru a wireless blue ray disk player and a roku box. Both work intermittently. I tried to get AT&T to upgrade me to 3.0 mbps, but they keep giving me different excuses....such as its not available in your area (my neighbor has it however, and we share a driveway!), there are not enough "slots" available, I am 50 feet too far away to get 3.0mbps and other bull. I called the cancel service number and AT&T decided they would send a tech out to look at the "problem". He came and went, and didnt find any problems. He DID say that I should call and reqeuest an "upgrade". LOL...been there, done that. So now I am waitng for the cable company and I am going to try roadrunner. It promises speeds up to 10 mbps.....I know it depends on the bandwith available and number of users on the line, but I am willing to try anything at this point.

I do have one questoin and it may have already been answered above. Will I be able to use my router to broadcast a wireliess signal?

Collapse -
As for using the router,
by ahtoi / January 27, 2011 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: AT&T DSL

that depends on what type it is. If it is both DSL/cable type, then I can't see any reason why not. But if it is DSL only then you are out of luck...or maybe there are adapter for such thing (just wondering).

Collapse -
Think you have problems?
by rd3tex / February 22, 2011 2:00 AM PST

I just upgraded to AT&T Turbo Max (24Mbps) from the Elite (6Mbps). Initially I was getting 12-19Mbps, but now I'm lucky to get 4-7Mbps. In fact last night I could only muster 560Kbps! Totally unacceptable. My only regret was I didn't test it BEFORE I upgraded. This will be the third day with the upgrade and I just cringe thinking about calling AT&T and all the runaround I'll be getting. I'm just documenting the test speeds at different times of the day with 8 tests each. Now I'll just be happy getting back to the 19Mbps speed consistently. A year ago I had Time Warner and that kept kicking me off sometimes every other minute. Terrible.

Collapse -
att/dsl
by rd1550 / September 23, 2011 12:43 PM PDT

Intermittent problems are almost always attributable to facilities...cable pair. Bridge tap, conditioning, ie loading are only a few of the maladies. An extensive trouble history dictates a change of facilities to see if problem follows. I am a retired att hi-cap analyst.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.