Desktops

Question

At a loss for this issue

by lisa_blakey / January 25, 2012 4:35 AM PST

I have been having the same issue now for a few weeks, my computer shuts off without warning. It shuts off when in idle and also when running labor intensive programs, but not simple tasks like surfing the web or using MS Word. I keep getting the following event notice: Kernel-Power 41 (63) error. I have checked everything that I can find on the web, including the help page from Microsoft, and followed all of the tips. I am at a loss as to what is next.

I have checked my psu and it has very good voltage readings. I have checked all connections, checked for loose parts and screws that may be causing shorts. I have checked by bios settings as well as my power option settings.

The only thing I can think could be the problem is the mobo, the cpu, or the ram. I lean more to the cpu because (according to the windows 7 gadget meter), my cpu was running at almost 100% before it shut off last night. Now that doesn't account for why it shuts off during idle, but it may be a clue. In case you are wondering, I have also checked the thermal compound.

I have the following:
EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, eSATA, RAID

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX + Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Processor BX80580Q8200 - 2.33GHz, 4MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Quad Core, Retail, Socket 775

HITACHI 1TB and 3TB SERIAL ATA HD

Kingwin Mach 1 Modular Power Supply - 1220-Watt, ATX, SLI-Ready, Six 12V Rails

Corsair XMS3 2048MB Dual Channel PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)

Your help would be great. Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: At a loss for this issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: At a loss for this issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Seems nice enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 4:45 AM PST

1. Did you try the old cover off tests?

2. I'm seeing 8800 and 9800 video cards failing now. Do you have another card to swap in if the cover off test doesn't show any changes?

3. "Six 12V Rails" Now comes the REALLY HARD QUESTION. If this has SIX Rails, how did you balance them?
And this is why I tell folk to get SINGLE RAIL power supplies. To avoid learning this the hard way.

Bob

Collapse -
Answers and more questions
by lisa_blakey / January 25, 2012 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Seems nice enough.

1. If you are referring to whether or not I took the cover off to let more air in, well not exactly. I did take my cover off becuase I was looking for a noising fan (what I thought was the problem), and even with the cover off and a new fan, the computer was still shuting down.

2. I do not have a spare video card

3. While I know how to plug my parts in, I guess I don't know what it means to balance the rails or how to balance the rails. Can you provide more information?

Collapse -
More on balance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 7:24 AM PST
https://www.google.com/search?q=PC+POWER+SUPPLY+BALANCE+THE+RAILS

In short it means you take care to balance the load across the rails so that no single rail gets over taxed. This is why I tell folk that don't want to learn this stuff to get a single rail PSU.
Bob
Collapse -
Running great since 2009
by lisa_blakey / January 25, 2012 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: More on balance.

Would "balancing" mean anything if I have been running great since 2009? I have only made the following changes:
1. better fan for cpu
2. added a 3tb hd
3. changed the fan on the 3tb hd two times
4. had the dvd drive replaced on a warrenty issue

The only things that were added new to the psu was the 3tb hd and the its fan.

Everything was going great. Then one day the computer turned its self on from a standby state then shut down completely. Since that day, it has been nothing but problems. I can't even identify the problem correctly to be able to identify the solution. Balancing the psu is a new solution, so I will try that.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 9:00 AM PST

But no. It does not mean much as the parts age and a new PSU has spare power and now it's failing. Not the PSU but since no one did the balancing or even knew, it's one of the areas I keep encountering.

I think you may be thinking that the PSU is always the same. Does not age?
Bob

Collapse -
Not so
by lisa_blakey / January 25, 2012 10:34 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

The first thing I did was purchase a new psu because I was certain that was the problem, but when I checked the levels, they were good. I know psu's along with all the parts age.

Collapse -
And while it is new, it has many +12V Rails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Not so

Go over on one and it usually shuts down. From our chat here it appears this is news to you and new to you as well.

Next time, get a single rail and try another video card.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.