Laptops

General discussion

Asus vs Lenovo vs Toshiba

by MadCyberDuck / August 3, 2010 3:59 AM PDT

Hi there!

I've been browsing through the almighty Internets and found three laptop models that tickle my fancy in a way or another, given the budget and this country's offerts.

Anyway, I've stopped at these three laptops, and I'm seeking advice about which one to purchase.
1) Lenovo Y560-3 [Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus vs Lenovo vs Toshiba
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus vs Lenovo vs Toshiba
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just playing with the Asus G51J
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

Since all have the same CPU it looks like you are looking at gamer laptops. The same rules apply here UNLESS one of these have SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS which lets you cut the power draw and use it like a laptop.

All seem nice enough but the Lenovo keyboard was a non starter for me as they swap the control key away from the normal position.

The usual issue about gamer laptops is they age badly. The heat and stress of games take their toll as well as the battery dies fast if the owner uses the battery. Many don't believe the 300 cycles statement until year 2 hits them. At least the cure is easy. (leave the ac cord plugged in)

As long as you can accept the usual 2 year life span you'll be fine with any of them.
Bob

Collapse -
re
by MadCyberDuck / August 3, 2010 4:20 AM PDT

Thanks for replying, Bob.
I won't use it for gaming that much, really.
And the Lenovo one has switchable graphics and the Asus one has Optimus, and I don't know about the Toshiba one.

What's wrong with the control key on Lenovo? I'm an Emacs user so Ctrl is rather crucial. Happy

Collapse -
Thumbs up on switchable graphics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: re

Optimus if it works is the same thing with another name. It didn't work a few months ago so press the maker on that.

As to the Control key on the Lenovo, it's not in the usual bottom left position. As I use a few machines this one was irksome and why I returned that make.
Bob

Collapse -
Lenovo lap
by MadCyberDuck / August 3, 2010 4:57 AM PDT

Fair enough. But except for the misplacement of the Ctrl key, is there anything else amiss at the Lenovo Y560?
Opinion of such a laptop is greatly appreciated. Happy

Collapse -
Not much to quibble about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Lenovo lap

You have the nice CPUs, 3D chips so the only last area is that this is no laptop. That is it should be a bit too warm to sit on the lap.

It should do fine as a desktop and portable work horse.
Bob

Collapse -
Desktop replacement
by MadCyberDuck / August 3, 2010 5:31 AM PDT

They're a bit close to desktop replacement, but given the fact that they are under 3 kgs, I daresay they're still portable (not that close to transportable). Happy

Suppose I'll stick with that Lenovo or wait until the end of this month to see if they're getting some new nVidia based laptops.

Thanks for your help, Bob.

Collapse -
I wouldn't say the the Lenova is the
by orlbuckeye / August 3, 2010 11:13 PM PDT

clear cut winner. I think the Toshiba is the clear winner because of hard drive. The processors are the same the Graphics card is better on the Lenova but not by much and the HR on the toshiba is almost twice the size of the Lenova.

Collapse -
Why I give the Lenovo the nod here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 11:16 PM PDT

Hard drives we can change out. The other parts are almost never upgradeable.
Bob

Collapse -
I like to buy it with everything I want
by orlbuckeye / August 4, 2010 10:50 PM PDT

and not worry about adding things later. I'm just saying to me the Lenova isn't the clear cut winner. I buy heavy laptops so that isn't as big of a concern for me. I will soemtime just like the look of one laptop over another that is more powerfull.

Collapse -
Are you MadCyberDuck ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 12:45 AM PDT

The forum has this bug where the names on the posts get mangled. Your reply could be from MadCyberDuck or orl?

Collapse -
Heavy you say...
by MadCyberDuck / August 5, 2010 1:22 AM PDT

I understand your opinion, but laptops should be portable and not transportable, therefore it shouldn't be *very* heavy. Not everybody is that strong. Happy
Anyway, I won't but that Lenovo for now, I'll wait until the end of August, in case some newer models of Asus appear. (rumour has it so)

Collapse -
Im looking for a birthday present for my girlfriend who's
by orlbuckeye / August 5, 2010 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Heavy you say...

HP is getting slower by the day. Asus seems to have the most power machines under $500. She needs it less then 6 pounds so i'm looking at the 15.6 Asus with the i3 processor. She is in grad school in accounting and the numeric keypad will help.

Collapse -
hdd
by MadCyberDuck / August 3, 2010 11:42 PM PDT

External hard disks aren't that expensive, so in what concerns the hdd, only the rpm matters, in my opinion. Happy

My question tried to reach somewhere beyond hardware specifications, I was thinking at something more like how does each laptop maintain its awesomeness, if you get my drift. Wish I were a robot.

Collapse -
More about the awesome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 11:46 PM PDT

The Asus I noted above is working well enough but the fingerprints and the weight are a turn off. I think this thing is EIGHT POUNDS. I really need to measure that but remember I'll measure it with the battery and the charger.
Bob

Collapse -
Asus: User review
by nalindubey / September 26, 2011 5:42 AM PDT

I am currently using Asus X42F series. Its really lightweight, durable and robust. The best part is that it doesn't give me even a warm type feeling after a very prolonged usage. Battery back and performance, all are good. As compared to Lenovo and Toshiba it is a much much better value for money. Asus is the only company that manufactures motherboards as well as laptops. Rest all only assemble the components and sell the unit. I have observed that during the usage of multiple heavy load demanding applications it does not get slow at all. Every brand is in the race of delivering the best thing to its customers. But every customer has his own personal choice as well. So my choice is Asus. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.