Laptops

Question

Asus UX32A vs Asus S400CA

by robotics5000 / October 25, 2013 1:31 AM PDT

I am a student who uses a laptop heavily - I use it for heavy internet browsing and research and hard core programming. As a student, I also appreciate being able to easily transport the laptop to and from school every day - I also really need the laptop to be durable!
On that note, I have narrowed down two laptops that I particularly liked: the Asus UX32A and the Asus S400CA.
Both have i3 processors and 500GB of storage (more than enough) as well as 4GB of storage? Which laptop would be better for my usage, considering the requirements I listed above?

Thank you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus UX32A vs Asus S400CA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus UX32A vs Asus S400CA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Durable is always a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2013 1:53 AM PDT

Laptops don't stand up to what durable is defined as. Here's the dictionary.
"able to withstand wear, pressure, or damage; hard-wearing."

I would not subject today's laptops to pressure or damage. If this is indeed a criteria you have to move to laptops such as the Panasonic Toughbooks.

Why not treat it gently?
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 25, 2013 1:59 AM PDT

Based on your requirements, I'd buy the lightest and/or smallest.
But you might have other requirements you didn't state.

Kees

Collapse -
Further Questions...
by robotics5000 / October 25, 2013 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: laptop

Do you think that the Asus UX32A might be damaged easily?
As a clarification, I am not going to "throw it around" and be rough with it. I just want to know if it is able to last as long - I am asking because it seems really thin and might be a tad flimsy.

In general, are Ultrabooks good enough to program with and research with?

Thank you all for your excellent advice!

Collapse -
Let me share
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2013 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Further Questions...

The office has supplied me with a few models. The Asus x202e looks nicely built but just like all the models except for those Toshiba toughbooks I have to be gentle. And let's call out the battery with it's 300 cycle rating.

Let's say an owner charged it daily to use it on battery power every day. The battery would be worn out in one year (almost all laptops have this type battery) so durable is not a word I'd use here.
Bob

Collapse -
Questions
by robotics5000 / October 26, 2013 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me share

I am not referring to the Asus X202E model but rather the Asus UX32A and S400CA models. But thank you Bob, for your input on battery. I am going to assume therefore that all batteries with most laptops function this way...

Is there anyone who can answer three simple questions -
1) Might the UX32A be damaged easily?
2) Which is better for power - the UX32A or the S400CA?
3) Which is better for programming - the UX32A or the S400CA?

Collapse -
1. Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2013 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Questions

Again, laptops are well known to fail from drops and spills. Today a member is sharing a story about a drop from 1.5 feet and the HDD and other parts have failed.

2. The i5 wins the CPU benchmark round.
3. The 14 inch screen for me.

Looking at these closely, they are similar in many ways to the x202e I have from the office. The x202e looks great for hitting the round to do support for our apps. But for programming I'm back to some 15.6 inch laptop with the usual 16GB RAM, big HDD, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Question
by robotics5000 / October 26, 2013 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: 1. Yes.

Point taken.

However, both laptops have an i3 and a 13.3 inch screen
is just as good as one with an 14 inch screen.
Keeping this in mind, which is more suitable for programming and which might be faster?

Collapse -
I looked this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2013 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Question
Collapse -
Thanks!
by robotics5000 / October 26, 2013 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I looked this link.

Awesome - thank you!!

Collapse -
(NT) TYPO!!! I meant 14 inch. Missed it by one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2013 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I looked this link.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.