Laptops

Resolved Question

Asus U81A CD-drive not recognizing Office 2010 CD

by dbardoul / January 23, 2013 9:01 AM PST

Hello!

My Asus U81A's (laptop) CD-drive is not recognizing my Office 2010 Academic Trial CD. It does not show up in the D: drive on "My Computer." I do not see it anywhere! Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Devon

dbardoul has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus U81A CD-drive not recognizing Office 2010 CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus U81A CD-drive not recognizing Office 2010 CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by dbardoul

Collapse -
Either the CD is bad or you need to clean CD drive
by wpgwpg / January 23, 2013 9:12 AM PST

Have you tried reading the CD in another computer? If another computer can read it, you know the CD is OK and you need to clean your DVD/CD drive with an inexpensive kit you can buy from most places that sell computers. If no other computer can read the disc, then you know you just have to get another disc.

Collapse -
Sorry, forgot to add that
by dbardoul / January 23, 2013 10:20 AM PST

Sorry. I should've included that I tried the CD in my desktop and it was readable. I also used a game CD in my laptop and it was readable. So it's not the Office CD but the laptop can read other CDs. I am confused X(

Collapse -
So how about duplicating that CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 10:35 AM PST

When I have bad reads I duplicate the media. And let's be clear that cleaning the lens is good advice and as drives age they lose capability. First a few media (DVD?) will stop. It may no longer boot from CD and as time passes it gets worse. It's one of the reasons I have an USB DVDRW in my kit.
Bob

Collapse -
Still confused
by dbardoul / January 23, 2013 11:17 AM PST

I do agree cleaning the lens is a good idea. I'm just still confused why it reads other CD/DVDs but not this one.

Collapse -
Again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: Still confused

As the laser dims, the error rate goes up. A fresh duplicate and be a quick workaround and put off replacing it for a little longer.

I don't want to duplicate another discussion about these drives.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.