Laptops forum

ASUS U46SV: Display stuck at white screen

by raghavtomar_nhn / June 21, 2013 7:39 PM PDT

Hello all,

I have an ASUS U46SV (Core i5, 8GB DDR3, 750GB, NVIDEA GT 540M 2GB, 14") which was working fine. It had been running for about 2 days straight and so I put it in hibernation. Came back home, lifted it off the table, put it on the bed, switched it on and all I saw was a white screen right from the moment the power button was pressed.

Following this I have taken the following steps:
a. External Monitor: Connected to two different monitors, CRT and LCD via VGA Cable. Working fine on both of them.
b. BIOS: Opening BIOS sometimes results in the BIOS opening properly while sometimes the entire interface seems stuck. All options such as Main, Boot, etc get displayed only when I scroll to them. (BIOS is the latest version and when I tried to still update it using ASUS Easy Flash utility within the BIOS itself, it says "Build version is too old" or something to that effect!)
c. The system is working fine. In fact, typing this on the same system.
d. There was no physical damage such as dropping, jerk, etc.
e. When connected to the CRT monitor (4:3 aspect ratio), the resolution difference between it and the laptop display (16:9 or 16:10, i don't exactly remember) resulted in a slight shaded region. That is, instead of the entire display being white, only a block of ration 4:3 was white with rest as slightly shaded grey.

I sure hope its not a faulty display coz that costs over Rs. 10,000 for this mode! Can anyone help me out with this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASUS U46SV: Display stuck at white screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASUS U46SV: Display stuck at white screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: put it on the bed
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 8:07 PM PDT

That's a bad place for a laptop, assuming your bed doesn't have a hard surface like a table or a desk. If to be used on the bad you need to place it on a laptop cooler to have good ventilation.

It's quite well possible there is heat damage, and some components need to be replaced. To test that, burn a Linux disc (Ubuntu, Mint) or make a bootable DVD from it and boot from that to see if it's OK then.

Collapse -
ASUS U46SV: Display stuck at white screen
by raghavtomar_nhn / June 23, 2013 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: put it on the bed

Thanks for your response.
a. I don't really use it on the bed. Its more like, kept in my lap all the time. Anyway, at this particular time, the system had just been switched on after being off for about 3-4 hours having been operated on a table for over 2 days. It doesn't really heat up as well.

b. Its working fine when connected to an external monitor (using it right now!). So clearly all components are working fine.

Collapse -
Re: lap
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

Your lap probably isn't a hard even surface either. So using a laptop pad makes sense then also.

If everything is fine except the internal screen, I'd start with replacing that and see if the new one works.

Collapse -
Sounds like it is
by orlbuckeye / June 23, 2013 8:26 AM PDT

the inverter. Google "white screen on bootup"

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.