Computer Help forum

Question

ASUS Recovery Disk Won't Restore System

by pollys13 / March 8, 2012 6:32 AM PST

[Problem Description]
Hi,
My ASUS machine a K50IJ notebook
a C and D partition as well as a hidden recovery G partition. I was having problems so I decided to
reinstall the O/S on the C partition. When I started to format the C drive, I found I was
actually formatting the entire HD erasing all my stuff I had on the D partition. I pulled
the mains plug after about 1 minute into the format, hoping I could salvage the D
partition.

I tied free tech support from Protonic, freeware recovery software, no luck. So I decided
to bite the bullet and start over.
I had the ASUS HDD out of the machine and connected it to another laptop. Using a
USB 2.0 to IDE and SATA adapter cable.
I formatted the H drive/ partition on the ASUS HDD. ( the H drive partition was the
original D partition with all my stuff on it, but could not recover contents, only stuff of no
interest. )
I then tried to use the ASUS recovery DVD no joy. I then formatted the G recovery
partition on the ASUS HD.This was installed onto the drive at the factory. I then used
the ASUS installation DVD, which says on it. Windows 7 recovery media for Windows 7
products. The software included on this Recovery DVD was installed on your hard disk
drive at the factory and may only be used for the back up and recovery of your ASUS
system.

I then start the ASUS with no disk in it.
I get, remove disks or other media.
Press any key to restart.
I press a key then get,
Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and
press a key.
I put the ASUS recovery DVD into the machine and press a key, then get, remove disks
or other media. Press any key to restart.
Cheers.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASUS Recovery Disk Won't Restore System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASUS Recovery Disk Won't Restore System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Very odd decisions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2012 8:30 AM PST

When I use restore media I never format ahead of the restore. I find I might trip up the restore process.

If using a BLANK HDD with no partitions will not restore, ask Asus what to do next.
Bob

Collapse -
ASUS Recovery Disk Won't Restore System
by pollys13 / March 8, 2012 3:48 PM PST
In reply to: Very odd decisions.

Hi thanks,
Are you saying I should wipe the entire drive and use the recovery and driver DVDs?
Cheers.

Collapse -
Recovery process
by Willy / March 8, 2012 9:40 PM PST

Return the original HD back into laptop. Then mount your restore/recovery disc and have at it. Hopefully, if the recovery disc were done right(by user) then ti should start the process once you select from the menu. If improperly done or not correct recovery discs, you need to proceed as to what is found. As i don't know the status until then. If nothing seems to work, then contact Asus for the recovery discs required for your model# for some small cost.

If during using the current recovery disc you have, you should be able to select the option to reload the OS. You do need to verify through the bios that the CD drive is the 1st boot device or following the boot-up sequence hit the keys(check manual, but maybe F1 or F10-F12) to access the boot device wanted from a small menu. If you get to that point with the recovery disc mounted in CD drive and it fails to work, then that suggests you have bad recovery discs. Which is why if done properly it should have started the process from known working "bootable" disc. Visit the support website and review what is expected, most vendors offer that procedure. Come back with results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Recovery Process
by pollys13 / March 9, 2012 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Recovery process

Thanks, will get back to you over the weekend.
Peter.

Collapse -
Asus Recovery Disk Won't Restore System
by pollys13 / March 19, 2012 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Recovery process

Hello again, sorry for delay,thought I'd let you know.
Got my computer working correctly.

" Using the Recovery DVD:

1. Insert the Recovery DVD into the optical drive. Your Notebook PC needs to be powered ON.
2. Restart the laptop. Press ESC when you see ASUS logo and then select the optical drive (may be labeled as "CD/DVD") from ODD. Press [Enter] to boot from the Recovery DVD.
3. Select OK to start to restore the image.
4. Select OK to confirm the system recovery. "

Either I didn't select to boot from DVD drive correctly or the original ASUS recovery disk is faulty.

This time I did step 2 but instead of using the actual restore ASUS DVD that they supplied with their machine. This time I used the 4 recovery DVDs I was prompted to make when I first ran the computer.

Got windows files are loading, then Windows is starting.
Then A1 Recovery.
Are you ready to restore this image. Clicked OK, then got, this DVD will help you recover hidden partition, check the AC adapter connector and do not interrupt the restoration process. Restore percentage so far = 76%, just put the 3nd recovery DVD in, did 4.

Collapse -
I'm writing
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2012 11:41 PM PST

That creating partitions and formatting before a restore can create issues. I'm writing to try again but with a blank HDD. I see no need to "wipe" the drive. That is, just delete the partitions on the new HDD so he restore system can have a clean slate.
Bob

Collapse -
ASUS Recovery Won't Restore System
by pollys13 / March 19, 2012 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Very odd decisions.

I don't believe It!!!

So the ASUS original recovery DVD must be naff.
I will let you know if the machine is running 100% correctly.

1. Insert the Recovery DVD into the optical drive. Your Notebook PC needs to be powered ON.
2. Restart the laptop. Press ESC when you see ASUS logo and then select the optical drive (may be labeled as "CD/DVD") from ODD. Press [Enter] to boot from the Recovery DVD.

Either I didn't select to boot from DVD drive correctly or the original ASUS recovery disk is faulty.

This time I did step 2 but instead of using the actual restore ASUS DVD that they supplied with their machine. This time I used the 4 recovery DVDs I was prompted to make when I first ran the computer.

Then A1 Recovery.
Are you ready to restore this image. Clicked OK, then got, this DVD will help you recover hidden partition, check the AC adapter connector and do not interrupt the restoration process. Restore percentage so far = 76%, just put the 3nd recovery DVD in, did 4.

Collapse -
Answer
3 options to fix your problem
by brianpill / March 8, 2012 10:27 PM PST

Well you have a few different options actually. Here are the options you have.

1. Use your recovery cd to do a system fix. Basically it will search windows and replace key files so your computer is working again.
2. Install the cd on a different HD on your comp and then move the files over and then format again that HD that had the original files on it. Then move the files back.
3. You may have a bad recovery cd which means you should get an off brand one. For example i needed newer drivers to fix my problems and the recovery cds sent had the old drivers so i had to get an offsite one. I used http://www.newrecoverydisk.com and it worked. However i think your best bet is option number 2.

Collapse -
ASUS Recovery Process
by pollys13 / March 9, 2012 5:00 AM PST

Thanks, will get back to you over the weekend.
Peter.

Collapse -
ASUS Recovery DVD Won't Restore System
by pollys13 / March 19, 2012 7:47 AM PDT

Then A1 Recovery.

Collapse -
I see you posted this many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

Once would be enough but it could be you needed to ask a question but I can't find it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.