Computer Help forum

General discussion

Asus netbook speed

by padyboy / May 24, 2013 7:46 AM PDT

Atom N270@1.60GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, WiFi Internet connection. I have reviewed previous threads on this subject and was informed that they were so old as to be obsolete, so I started a new one on this really slow computer.

This computer is so slow it takes ~60 seconds to open browser (IE8 or Firefox). Used mostly for Internet work. I must type very slowly, so this computer can keep up (and I am not of secretary speed). Even off the Internet I get the message "program not responding" (eg Device Manager). It often freezes completely requiring a restart.

I have very few addons, do not use 'gaming', occasionally torrent downloads. This computer is so slow as to be unusable. I have two other PCs on this network none of which operate at this speed.

My question: Is this level of performance typical of this computer? I would never expect it to match my desktop, but this is ridiculous. I received this item as a "regift" from a relative. I have read good reports of this computer's speed. Is there something wrong here? How about a clean install of the os?

Any comments appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus netbook speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus netbook speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Asus netbook speed

OK, at the office now and I looked and found we have this emachine 250-1162 with the n270 Atom and 2GB RAM but a 250GB drive.

It does not freeze but we do use the canned air about once a month on it. It's a demo machine so we don't do much with it.

I haven't run IE on it so I'll try it now.

Wakeup and resume was about 30 seconds.
IE took 50 seconds to come up fully (again, I don't use that much. Trying Chrome.)
Chrome took 15 seconds to come and be ready to use.

So from what I can tell, your machine is about the right speed.

Collapse -
More or less
by Jimmy Greystone / May 24, 2013 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Asus netbook speed

More or less, yes, that is typical of a netbook like that. The Atom CPUs deliver MAYBE 80% of the performance of a Core Solo at the same clock speed. You also have to recognize that it's a single core CPU, whereas most programs now assume at least a dual core.

Yours might be a little on the low end of normal, but it doesn't sound too far off the mark.

Collapse -
by padyboy / May 25, 2013 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: More or less

Thanx for your input.

It appears I was expecting too much from this mobile device. They are not designed for use at home, but at a shopping mall with wifi capability and lots of time.

With this information, I can use this device in the manner for which it was manufactured.

Again, I thank you for your support.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.