Computer Help

General discussion

Asus LCD monitor headphone jack no sound?

by rave765 / April 6, 2011 4:44 AM PDT

Hello,

My monitor is the ASUS VH236H. You can see it here..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

I'm having a problem with getting audio using the headphone jack on this monitor with my headphones. The sound will continue to play through the monitors built-in speakers instead. No volume from headphones at all, even after turning the volume all the way up. I recently purchased this for use with a PS3 to use with HDMI and it works great but the sound is coming from the monitor..is there anything I can do? I called ASUS tech support and I was just told to try another set of headphones -.-

Thank you,

Dave

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus LCD monitor headphone jack no sound?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus LCD monitor headphone jack no sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try another head phone?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 4:47 AM PDT

That's what we do at the shop to see if it's the jack not quite big enough to cause the switch.

If the display is new enough you consider taking it back to where you bought it.

We can also use a switch if all support fails to fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
Monitor came with this cable
by rave765 / April 6, 2011 4:56 AM PDT

The monitor came with a cable that looks like this http://wingsoft.com.my/images/3m%20stereo%20to%20stereo%20cable.jpg except both ends are green... if I plug one end into the monitor's headphone jack and the other into my computer's speakers it'll play audio on my pc through the Monitor..after comparing the jack on that cable it seems to be the exact same thing as my headphones. What do you mean by a switch?

Thank you

Collapse -
Ouch
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

That test shows the monitor is ok. If it wasn't the monitor speakers would have kept working.

While the plug looks the same it seems I would have to measure the diameter and length using something like http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Stainless-Digital-Caliper-Extra-Large/dp/B000GSLKIW to compare since eyeballing it may not be exact.

Sorry, but it's time to try another headset or BETTER IDEA!!! USE that cable with this adapter for your headset -> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=3.5mm+stereo+coupler

Looks like you can solve it.
Bob

Collapse -
I will try the adapter.
by rave765 / April 6, 2011 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch

Thank you, I will try the adapter. However the link you provided me has several items on the page, i'm not sure which one it is exactly? Can you link me directly to the one I need?

Collapse -
I did that on purpose.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

Those 3.5MM female couplers are fungible. One should be as good as the next.

A perfect item to go get at a local store (BB, RadioShack, Fry's, etc.)
Bob

Collapse -
Adapter did not fix problem
by rave765 / April 6, 2011 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I did that on purpose.

Alright, just went to radioshack and bought a 3.5mm female coupler. The adapter works, but still no audio when using adapter from monitor to headphones or headphone directly in to monitor. I tested the adapter for the headphones straight to the pc speaker, works fine. I guess my only option is to try different headphones...

Collapse -
But it sounds like it changed the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

In in your first post you wrote:
"The sound will continue to play through the monitors built-in speakers instead."

Now you write there is no audio at all. I'm not there but this sounds like progress of a sort. That is, the headphones are clearly suspect.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes there is sound with monitor's speakers
by rave765 / April 6, 2011 10:49 AM PDT

There is sound when on the PS3 through the monitor's speakers. The problem is I don't get any sound to the headphones when plugging into the jack either directly in with the headphones or using the adapter. The sound on the monitor's speakers remains. I'm going to have to try another set of headphones..any decent recommendations?

Dave

Collapse -
The thing about headphones
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 12:21 PM PDT

Is the entirely personal choice. Almost all have the 3.5mm jack so that's about the only criteria here.
Bob

Collapse -
Audio In port?
by nckchrst / September 26, 2012 4:43 PM PDT

I think your problem is that the port that you think is headphones is actually the 3.5mm audio in port to accompany the dvi or vga picture

Collapse -
Possible Solution
by robinhood1013 / October 29, 2012 11:08 AM PDT

Hello Dave, I have an Asus as well , I dont think its the same model number but on the back of your monitor there is a plug that matches the color of your cable. Green and says "AUX". When plugging a headphone, plug it into the other port located next to this green port , the color is black . Hook in the green cable into this black port and connect to your headphones it push sound through there.

hope it works,

Robin K
(ASUS VH226H)

Collapse -
Yes
by prarsena / February 15, 2013 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: Possible Solution

Sorry, this is coming about 4 months late, but absolutely this.

Thanks Robin for the deviously simple solution... honestly. The black input is hard to see.

Cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.