Computer Help forum

Question

Asus laptop... to many choices

by violetknight / April 26, 2013 7:44 AM PDT

I plan on buying an Asus laptop from Best Buy but I am unsure of what model. They all seem very similar. My main concern is the speakers, I like to listen to music and watch movies a lot so the sound quality is important. I also want a fast processor and depending on which one I choose I'll upgrade the RAM to 8 GB. At least 15 in screen. I want one for under $600. If you look on the Best Buy site there are many to choose from.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus laptop... to many choices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus laptop... to many choices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I wouldn't count on great speakers in a 15" model
by wpgwpg / April 26, 2013 8:13 AM PDT

You can get a very good laptop for under $600, but in the 15" models, the speakers will produce little or no bass in any model I've ever seen. Depending on your needs, you can get excellent sound quality in $20 headphones, or you could plug the earphone jack to a home stereo or home theater system.
`
Happy shopping.

Collapse -
Answer
Laptop with good speakers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 8:36 AM PDT

That would be a first. However I'm typing on Asus K55N that goes for 380 bucks on Amazon and it's a steal in my book. RAM? Just put in 16GB since prices have crashed. For 99 bucks a Hybrid 1TB HDD too. Still under the 600 mark too.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Laptop choice
by MikeAanders / April 26, 2013 10:03 PM PDT

If you are predominantly going to use your laptop for multimedia applications, you do not need an ultra fast CPU, or huge amount of RAM. If you are going to use it "on the move" a lot, then battery life between recharges is extremely important. Some laptops (even big names) give a battery life of a mere 2 hours. I went for HP, my model gives me a genuine 10 hours. As for screen, ask to see a demo of the different screens to determine the best performance (or take in a USB stick with a good quality video on it to compare, preferably an avi file so that unmodified Windows Media Player will recognise it).
Sound from a laptop is certainly not hi-fi, even when played through good headphones (the audio circuitry is really an afterthought). After extensive searches of reviews on the internet I purchased the Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones for around £33 (better quality than many £100 headphones). Then I purchased the Creative Labs X-Fi HD USB sound box (around £100). The sound quality is amazing, and the Creative box has outputs that enable me to play through my hi-fi too.
Hard drive space is essential, a minimum of 1TB. When you run out of space, you can purchase USB hard drives (2TB is the optimum in terms of price).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.