Computer Help forum

General discussion

Asus G72GX White Screen Problem

by IAmMikeG08 / February 14, 2011 1:57 PM PST

I believe this is a hardware problem, but I don't know what causes this white screen. I'm really frustrated this laptop is only a year old. When the white screen comes on. I move the monitor a little bit then it goes away. I'm repeatedly doing this it gets old, please help! I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus G72GX White Screen Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus G72GX White Screen Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 12:16 AM PST

I see this unit has a 2 YEAR warranty. Time to let them fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
by IAmMikeG08 / February 15, 2011 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Good news.

Actually this unit only had a one year warranty, when it came with the purchase. I got this at Best Buy. Do you think it might be a driver problem?

Collapse -
We can test for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 7:49 AM PST

Boot up and head to the BIOS screen. If that's broken too, it's time to call for repair. Sorry that yours didn't get the 2 year warranty.

Collapse -
Asus G72GX White Screen Problem -
by IAmMikeG08 / February 15, 2011 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: We can test for that.

Can you give me a step by step tutorial on how to get to the BIOS screen, then what goes on from there? Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 11:30 AM PST

Supply a link to the laptops manual and I'll note what page it's on.

Collapse -
by IAmMikeG08 / February 15, 2011 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

I can't?

Collapse -
Why not?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 1:47 PM PST
Collapse -
by IAmMikeG08 / February 15, 2011 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: Why not?
Collapse -
Re: manual
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 4:04 PM PST

It was easy to find the manual from page (and nice to see the detailed instructions for using the various recovery procedures hidden under F9 at boot, which I assume you noted also). But there wasn't any indication in it on how to go into the BIOS.

The two things you can do now to see the display without using a potentially corrupt Windows driver:
(1) See if the boot screen mentions something like "Press del to enter Setup" or a variation of it. Then do that. When there find the option to "Exit without saving changes" to reboot.
(2) Start the recovery procedure (but no need to finish it).

Kees

Collapse -
I'd watch the screen at boot up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 11:13 PM PST

Wait for the ASUS splash screen and see if there is instructions.

If the ASUS spash screen is not working at power up (I can't find this detail in your posts) then it's likely the machine needs repair.
Bob

Collapse -
design flaw
by tigersenshi / July 31, 2011 2:58 PM PDT

it is apparently a design flaw. i have the same laptop and it started about 6 monnths after i purchased it. something about thee way the cables are layed out it begins to stretch after awhile and doesnt connect right. mine can go hours without doing it or do it every 30 seconds...gets OLD quick..

Collapse -
Well known too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2011 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: design flaw

This issue hits those that cart around their machines a lot and open close the lid dozens of times a day. Some call that a flaw, others call it design and product lifespan.

Frankly I think anything costing more than a netbook needs a 4 year warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
so
by tigersenshi / August 25, 2011 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Well known too.

after doing some research and going back and forth with asus tech. it is a design flaw that ONLY the best buy model has. and since asus has released 2 new versions in the last year you can no longer get the video cable through them. have to get it on ebay. just make sure you are NOT getting another best buy version cable...

Collapse -
Whoops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: design flaw

I see you are not the original poster. Since it's well inside warranty, let them fix it. I see below you can't get the cable from them. THAT'S SUPER!!! Usually results in a machine exchange.
Bob

Collapse -
warranty
by tigersenshi / August 25, 2011 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Whoops.

ill have to get in touch with them and see if it i still under asus warranty or not... it should be... but not sure..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.