The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Asus Eee PC? help me decide

by beelissa / February 3, 2008 10:48 PM PST

I posted a similar post in the laptop forum on C-Net but have only gotten one not-very-helpful response so far, so I'm hoping the residents of Buzz Town will be able to give me some advice.

My birthday is in 1 month. I wanted to ask for $ to put towards an Asus Eee PC, but I'm starting to second-guess myself.

Money is tight, I'll have to use some of my own money as well, the gifts will probably only total $150 at most, maybe less. I have about $75 saved already. I really won't be able to spend more than $400.

I also already have a laptop, though my kids are often "borrowing" it. I want something small, very portable. So I can throw it in my purse or use it to read in bed comfortably (the Gateway laptop with the 15" screen is too heavy to be comfortable reading in bed).

I'm really tempted by the little 2GB pink Asus, because my kids are boys, they won't borrow a pink computer from their mother! Happy so I'd have it all to myself, that would be nice! But will I be sorry I didn't get the 4 GB version? I've heard that, besides the obviously bigger HD, the 4 GB version has a slightly faster processor.

I read a review online saying that there are a few models of ultraportables that you can find on eBay for a similar price to the Asus, but with slightly larger keyboards, larger screen with higher resolution, bigger HD, often more RAM and/or faster processor. I don't care about the OS, I'm sure I can use what's on the Asus as long as (1) I can still share files with my Windows network and (2) I can hook it up to print to either my HP or Lexmark printers.

So should I shop on eBay for another ultraportable? The ones I heard about were these: Toshiba Portege R100, Thinkpad X41, and the Dell Latitude X1. They all have 12" screens. That's what I'm most concerned about, will the screen on the Asus be adequate?

I can't find a store that has an Asus anywhere in driving distance, so I won't be able to see or touch one of these things till I own it.

I would love to hear from someone who has seen the Asus in person, actually looked at the screen, not just the menu screen but the screen with a web page with text on it, is it readable? (I'm 45, still putting off getting reading glasses but I won't be able to very much longer).

Thanks for your help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus Eee PC? help me decide
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus Eee PC? help me decide
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Questions
by Renegade Knight / February 4, 2008 3:43 AM PST

I think the real answer is going to depend a lot on what you do wiht your laptop. What all do you do with it?

Collapse -
what I want it for
by beelissa / February 4, 2008 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: More Questions

I'll probably use it to read email and web pages and do some writing, mostly. Blogging. I'd try loading the Gimp on it and see how that runs, but I really like Paint Shop Pro so I'll probably do most of my computer graphics in that on a Windows PC.

I have a 2 GB SD card, that's part of why I think I might be okay with the 2 GB Asus, I could stick the card in it and have 4 GB of storage.

Collapse -
by Renegade Knight / February 5, 2008 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: what I want it for has a linux version that you would write in. Web applications would work for you. Blogging I'm assuming is onine based (I know the blog is, but where you write to insert it into the blog?)

The GIMP may also have a linux version and may work well but you would have to check.

Firefox has Linux.

Beyond that sounds like it would work for you. I'd go 4gb just in case. You have some big applications you are going to install. It would let you use your SD card for data to move graphics to a Windows PC for a higher power editor. (both the computer and program).

Collapse -
Xandros Linux
by n74jw / February 5, 2008 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

The version of Linux currently shipping on the eeePC, Xandros Linux, comes with OpenOffice, Firefox, Skype and numerous educational applications.

Collapse -
by Renegade Knight / February 5, 2008 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Xandros Linux

Most of what she needs is already built in. Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
Yes, I think the software is adequate
by beelissa / February 7, 2008 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

The Gimp has a linux version, and I use Open Office already. And Firefox.

I've still got at least 3 weeks to decide.

Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
small keyboard and screen
by mkddy / February 4, 2008 9:17 AM PST

i've seen and touched the eee and i have to say that i like it a lot (not the pink, i'm allergic to pink =0P)

imo, i would get it myself if not for the fact that i've already got 4 notebooks and a desktop, but i can so imagine having one to bring around wifi hotspots from some BOL while sipping coffee... i digress...

you want to take note of the small keyboard and screen though, i've tried it and IMHO, it's quite a challenge for long usage. more likely for the quick twitter or 2 and maybe a short post before you start feeling the strain/frustration. and i definitely won't be able to read much if sitting in bed with the eee on your lap... but that's just me, a pudgy, very short sighted guy.

Collapse -
Do it up!
by n74jw / February 4, 2008 9:49 AM PST

I am about three mouse-clicks away from ordering one myself. I just have to figure how to get $400.00 past the boss.

I would consider it a web-browsing device, and not a full fledged replacement for a traditional laptop.

Go for it!!!

Collapse -
YES. GET IT. It's friggin' awesome.
by assclown mini tacos / February 7, 2008 4:19 AM PST

I got the EEE PC just before thanksgiving and it's big enough to write emails on, and small enough to take along anywhere.

Many people re running XP on theirs, but I am using the built in Xandros, and it's fine. I had an N800 tablet before that, but I hate typing on a touchscreen keyboard.

Collapse -
which one do you have, tacos?
by beelissa / February 7, 2008 8:32 AM PST

Do you have the 2Gb or the 4 Gb version? I know I'll *want* the 4 Gb, but I also know I really want to save money. How much free space is left when you first get it?

Collapse -
by assclown mini tacos / February 7, 2008 9:15 AM PST

It's the original 4GB model in white. Not much space on it because the drive also contains a complete restore partition if you end up screwing up the OS. I bought a 2 GB SD card for extra space. I have never filled it up. I save most files online anyway.

The webcam is a nice touch and it works with the skype beta for linux.

Collapse -
I got it!
by beelissa / March 10, 2008 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: ASUS EEE 4GB

I just wanted to pop back in here and say that I got it! I got the 4gb pink one, it came today and my son has not even tried to steal it from me yet. But he's got Brawl, so he's not interested yet.

Collapse -
by n74jw / March 10, 2008 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I got it!

Enjoy. Let us know how you find it after a bit...

Collapse -
by JegroVzla / March 11, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

and please report back on how the battery fares on real life situations.

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Ah, I hope you have enjoyed it through the years
by LincNeb / December 19, 2011 7:50 AM PST

As, it might be noted, the netbook market is probably dying --pity-- they are much more versatile than tablets for serious work.

One word of caution for people who are thinking of buying a used netbook, unless you are spending money, that is almost completely painless to throw away -- don't.

The big advantage of netbooks is that they are small, however, this is probably also a negative. They can overheat. If the owner you are buying it from was not cautious about keeping it on a hard service, preferably a cooling fan, you could be getting a computer ready to quit, from parts, though working now, could be ready to die because they have been cooked once too often. Cry

Often you can get a netbook on sale, at a very good price, one that is new and in an unopened box. My first one was a clearance/display model, which apparently been cooked more than once too often. Even with a good warranty service, sending a netbook in for warranty adds to its cost and time that you can't be using it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.