Laptops forum

aspire timelineX5830TG very slow and sluggish.. Help!

by user1308 / May 23, 2013 12:11 AM PDT

I've an acer aspire timelineX5830TG laptop.
It has been behaving very slow and sluggish for over a couple of weeks now. Opening a folder takes ages. Videos get stuck. I've never seen this machine that slow.

I'd installed ESET NOD32. Ran an deep system scan. didn't find anything. installed and ran a full scan with malwarebytes same result. I thought it could be some virus that antivirus won't detect. Got the OS reinstalled. Same issue again! Sad
Some one help please!!

i5 processor, 3GB RAM, 1 GB nvidia graphics accelerator, 500GB HDD.
Win 7 64 bit

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: aspire timelineX5830TG very slow and sluggish.. Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: aspire timelineX5830TG very slow and sluggish.. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Since you didn't find a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 2:21 AM PDT

Maybe it's time to restore it to the factory issue and if there is no hardware issue then it will be just as fast as it was back then.

Maybe you wanted more but the clues are not here. For example if you had written "I use Norton and TeaTimer" I would note the issue with that.

Collapse -
tried reinstallation.. nothing works
by user1308 / July 1, 2013 7:50 PM PDT

I reinstalled but nothing works. It's as slow as it was earlier. However, I could track the error message that I found earlier.

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 003)
For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.7 (the date)
check cable connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No Bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key."

Later, I installed Ubuntu which was successful but due to its own error messages I reinstalled Win7. It's slow again!!
Do you think it could be hardware problem?

Collapse -
Re: reinstallation
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 8:36 PM PDT

You didn't tell earlier about that error message you found earlier. But now you 'tracked' it, can you tell what you found and what the relation with your current issue is?

And can you tell about Ubuntu's error messages?

And can you tell from what source you reinstalled? Let's hope it was the recovery partition on the original hard disk.

All we know now is: (a) There was an error message about the hard disk, (b) There were error messages in Ubuntu, and (c) it's slow even after a reinstall. That's not really much.

Collapse -
Link, comments.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2013 12:23 AM PDT shows the usual i5 nvidia 540 laptop. This looks to be about 2.5 years old.

1. Canned air use?
My son's just a bit more laptop like this needs the canned air about every 3 months to keep it from overheating and slowing. That's a bit more than the usual 6 months but it's used many hours a day. Let's here about your maintenance.

2. You can't install Windows 7 today.
Well, I'm being a little dishonest here. You could but a proper install is more than most can handle. The OS goes right on but without all those drivers it's going to be slow. The factory issued OS (restore media?) is best.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.