Tablets forum

General discussion

Ask the Editors: Tablets for work and play live chat with CNET editors, Eric Franklin and Donald Bell

by CNET Event admin / July 27, 2011 4:37 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ask the Editors: Tablets for work and play live chat with CNET editors, Eric Franklin and Donald Bell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ask the Editors: Tablets for work and play live chat with CNET editors, Eric Franklin and Donald Bell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buy tablet or laptop?

Can a tablet use a keyboard for writing on plane or car trips?

Collapse -
Heck yeah.
by audiodonald CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Buy tablet or laptop?

Nearly every worthwhile tablet out there includes Bluetooth keyboard support. Logitech, Kensington and others make some interesting integrated keyboard cases. Logitech in particular has announced a wireless keyboard with Android-specific keys, designed for the Tab 10.1.

Collapse -
Streaming Japanese TV shows using a tablet

My 73-year-old Japanese-born wife is wheelchair-bound and unable to visit a local Japanese video store as she has done in the past. I have been investigating ways to stream Japanese language and Korean language (with Japanese subtitles) to our HDTV using the internet. One possibility that has entered my mind is to use a table with an Android OS to connect to the TV. I could then establish a wireless network to connect my desktop (which uses Comcast cable) to the laptop. Is the idea feasible? What pitfalls am I likely to encounter? Is there one tablet that you would recommend for this task?

Two of the many sites that stream these types of show are:

Japanese TV shows:

Korean TV shows with Japanese subtitles

John Rusk

Collapse -

What is the difference

Collapse -

Alright, Eric and I are here to answer any questions you might have about tablets. The context here is "work and play" but feel free to ask us anything tablet-related. We can't guarantee the best answers, but we'll answer honestly. Also, apologies in advance if we don't get to your particular question.

Collapse -
quad core processors?

when should tablets be shipping with quad core processors?

Collapse -
by efranklin CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: quad core processors?

Nvidia says we'll see quad-core processors in Android tablets later this year.

Collapse -
Android or iOS - Any Other?

What about WebOS and other OSs?

Collapse -
Sure, but for what?
by audiodonald CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:40 AM PDT

WebOS and RIM's QNX OS do a great job of tackling work-related tasks, such as calendar and email integration, presentations and document creation. The trouble is, they're both missing the "fun" component. The apps aren't there, and the momentum seems slow to develop them.

Collapse -
Syncing with computers

Which tablet best syncs with computers in particular with Win 7?

Collapse -
Battery Life

Other than IPAD, which tablet has the longest battery life?

Collapse -
Number two...
by efranklin CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery Life

The Toshiba Thrive lasted about 9.5 hours in our testing. That puts it at number three, behind both versions of the iPad.

Collapse -
How likely is that the Amazon tablet is coming?

How likely is it that the Amazon tablet is coming? Will it be similar to the Nook Color like a Kindle Colr, or more of a new product?

Collapse -
I would bet on it
by audiodonald CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:44 AM PDT

Amazon is being very secretive, but they would be crazy not to. They have the momentum of the Kindle behind them and the ability to make tons of money on the content end with their App Store, Video Store, MP3 store, Kindle Store. Let's just say I wouldn't buy a Nook Color right now.

Collapse -
Title (required, 60 characters max):

If we ask you to recommend a tablet or a smartphone, would you recommend us blackberries because this is brought to you by Blackberry?

Collapse -

What specifically is the Xoom good for? I have one now and love it. I was wondering what else I may be able to do with it.

Collapse -
downloading apps

I have a Dell Streak Tablet with Android 2.2. How do I find app to use with my tablet?

Collapse -
Try the Market or Amazon App store
by audiodonald CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: downloading apps

The Streak includes the official Google app Market for downloading apps. You could also try downloading Amazon's App Store directly from Amazon.

Collapse -
iPad vs. Galaxy tab 10.1 Features

I have a regular iPad 1 and just received a Galaxy Tab 10.1. My first response to the Galaxy Tab is: where are all the apps to watch HBO, ABC, etc.?

Collapse -
tablet extension

Are they making a tablet that is more of an extension of your existing handset? I have a droid x and dont want ANOTHER $30 a month.

Collapse -
Laptop replacement

Which tablet in your opinion comes the closest to being a laptop replacement?

Collapse -
So far...
by efranklin CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop replacement

It's the Toshiba Thrive. Thanks to its removable battery and inclusion of full USB and HDMI ports. Also, its the thickest tablet we've seen so far, if that matters to you.

Collapse -
Samsung 3G 10.1

When will this get to the US for sale?

Collapse -
No official release
by efranklin CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung 3G 10.1
Collapse -
Syncing tablet with laptop

I like Android's ability to automatically sync contacts and calendar via Google, and am considering an android tablet. Will i os5 and Apple Cloud permit the same kind of syncing?

Collapse -

I have been looking at a Xoom tablet, how effective is a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Collapse -
Awesome, but why not go laptop?
by audiodonald CNET staff / August 16, 2011 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Bluetooth

The Xoom can be used very easily with a Bluetooth keyboard, or even a wireless mouse, but it's still doesn't completely replace the efficiency of a proper laptop--even an inexpensive one. This is especially true when it comes to document and spreadsheet editing. Tablets are the trend right now, but I suspect we'll start appreciating laptops again soon. I already have a tablet hangover.

Collapse -
Samsung vs Apple

Do you think Apple will be successful in blocking Samsung tablets in Europe past the current injunction?

Collapse -
Mihou Zapata

beside ipad2 which other android tablet can do the ipad2 face time?

Collapse -
Write to SD card

I need to save data to an SD card. When can we expect this feature on Android tabs? Tks.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.