TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Ask the Editors Live event -- Gaming and entertainment at home and on the go

by CNET Event admin / October 16, 2012 5:35 AM PDT

Whether you prefer to play in your living room or when you're out and about, gaming devices remain popular holiday gifts, for more reasons than just the games they can play. CNET's experts will help you choose the best gaming console or media streamer, with prices that are now more affordable than ever.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ask the Editors Live event -- Gaming and entertainment at home and on the go
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ask the Editors Live event -- Gaming and entertainment at home and on the go
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We're ready to go!
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 13, 2012 1:31 AM PST

Welcome everyone! Me and Jeff are ready to answer your questions on gaming and streaming media. We won't be able get to all the questions, but we'll do our best to answer as many as we can.

Collapse -
loose hand freedom

Really I haven't any experience with latest gaming console,so I won't to know about what is the best for living room gaming consoles that more efficient with price ??

Collapse -
Best for living room for the price
by jbakalar / December 13, 2012 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: loose hand freedom

For the price, PS3 is probably the best overall because it doesn't require you to have any sort of subscription like Xbox 360 requires. There's tons of apps on Sony's PlayStation Store -- I'd be surprised if there's something you'd want to watch that you can't find on there.

Collapse -

What do I do with my old Wii now that its a brick?

Collapse -
If you're not using it
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 13, 2012 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Wii

I'd suggest selling it on Ebay or Amazon and get a few bucks back. If it's broken, get in touch with Nintendo -- their customer service was excellent when my launch-day Wii broke about 6 months ago.

Collapse -
old beginner

There are so many games around, I am 64 years old and would like to start playing games like Halo. The instructions are very complicated for a beginner. Is there a place where to start?

Collapse -
How to get into new games
by jbakalar / December 13, 2012 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: old beginner

Games like Halo can be intimidating, but the best way to really familiarize yourself with these games is to just hop in and get going. Nearly all games have a tutorial in the beginning that with hold your hand and guide you along. Take time to learn the controller and where each button is located. Memorizing the game pad is easy and shouldn't take too long. From there, you'll learn how to walk and aim at the same time in game. Don't get frustrated, just keep at it and eventually you'll find that it'll get easier over time. And quick!

Collapse -
Online gaming

Will we ever see cross-platform online gaming? I have friends who are PC only, and I play the same games but on the 360. I understand the argument regarding mouse/keyboard vs controller, but I'd like to be able to play online with more of my friends.

Collapse -
Would be awesome
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 13, 2012 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Online gaming

I agree that cross-platform online gaming would be incredible, but it seems unlikely to happen between giants like Sony and Microsoft. UNLESS there's a third-party service that makes it possible, like Steam or OnLive. Would be a tough decision for Microsoft/Sony whether they would support that functionality, though.

Collapse -
PS4 & Xbox720

Do you believe Sony and Microsoft may present the "PS4" and "Xbox720" early 2013? If you do believe they will, you think they may be released later on the year?

Collapse -
Next-gen consoles
by jbakalar / December 13, 2012 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: PS4 & Xbox720

There's a really good chance that both Microsoft and Sony will debut their next-gen consoles at E3 2013 which is next June. If that's the case--and they do show up--it's logical to assume that one of, if not both, will be available by holiday 2013. Then again, we may see a repeat of 2005-2006 when one console was released before the other. If you remember, back then there was an entire year that separated Xbox 360 and PS3.

Collapse -
GF Friendly consoles

Would like to get new console. Live with girlfriend. We are both active outdoor types. She is worried I'll turn into a pile if I get a console. What are some non gaming features particular systems have, which I could use to persuade her. Features that are woman/non gamer friendly.

Collapse -
I'm in a similar boat
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 13, 2012 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: GF Friendly consoles

I have a PS3 and a Wii. My girlfriend and I tend to play more games together on the Wii (although not recently), but we both using the streaming media functionality of the PS3 very frequently: Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Instant. The nice part about the PS3 is you don't need a yearly subscription to access the media features, like you do with the Xbox 360.

One tip that helps a lot: program a universal remote, like a Logitech Harmony, to control the PS3 using an adapter, like this one:

Collapse -
PC Gaming

Hi Jeff and Matt (nice name Matt). Do you think console gaming will stay afloat, or will PC gaming swallow their futures?

Collapse -
PC gaming reply
by jbakalar / December 13, 2012 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: PC Gaming

While I don't think console gaming is going away any time soon, we may start to see interesting hybrids of consoles that blur the line between PC and console separation. Maybe not with the next PS and Xbox, but certainly during their life cycles.

PC gaming is still huge and isn't leaving us either, but console gaming is still a major player in the living room, especially because each system is capable of so much more now--aside from just playing games.

Collapse -
How do I stream from desktop Mac to TV in another room

How can I stream from my desktop Mac to my Sony flat screen in another room, wirelessly and wired? Basically, I want the TV in the other room to be the monitor.

Collapse -
Apple TV + AirPlay mirroring
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 13, 2012 1:45 AM PST

The easiest way to do it wirelessly is to use an Apple TV and the AirPlay mirroring built into the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion. Just note that you need a relatively recent Mac to use this feature:

Some links to CNET's testing of this feature:

For wired, I'd say just use a long HDMI cable if it's possible.

Collapse -
Wifi with xbox 360 and ps3

How can I hook these consoles to living room and my Internet connection is in another room?

Collapse -
by jbakalar / December 13, 2012 1:47 AM PST

You'll either need to run an ethernet wire from the router to the consoles OR -- the easier solution -- use a wireless router to send the signal to the consoles. PS3 has WiFi built-in, so you can set that connection up in the PS3's network settings accessible from the main menu.

If you don't have a new slim Xbox 360 (wifi is built in on these), you'll need to get a WiFi adapter to plug into the back of the console.

Collapse -

Is it likely that there will be android or pc emulators for systems such as ps2, ps3, xbox360, etc in the future? Code for these systems are much harder to crack than the old ones were (NES, SNES, etc)

Collapse -
by jbakalar / December 13, 2012 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: emulators

Most emulators -- as far as I know -- are illegal, but that never stops people from trying to crack them.

Collapse -
Wii U startup and updates

I bought the new deluxe Wii U system for my son for Christmas which will not be opened until Christmas morning. I've

been reading and watching Nintendo information regarding the "heavy initial first startup" and more recently the "big

update". Since many will be opening presents and hooking up their wii u on Christmas, isn't there a way to pre

download or prepare (without opening the box) for the first startup without the Mullins of others trying to do so on

I want my son to be able to play his new (expensive system) on christmas!
Can you please help?

Collapse -
Wii U update
by jbakalar / December 13, 2012 1:51 AM PST

This is a tough one. The update is unavoidable unless you do 2 things:

1. You can just prevent the console from connecting to the Internet once it's opened, then it won't force an update.

or 2., you can carefully open it up and then update it yourself before he opens it on Xmas. I know, it sounds a little crazy, but it might be the best way to get it up and running (and connected online) for the big day!

Collapse -
gaming "tablets"??

I'm seeing the term "gaming" being applied to the descriptions of tablets, ultrabooks, and such. Is it just a marketing gimmick or do these systems really have the hardware/price value that justifies a purchase?

Collapse -
Tablets, definitely
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 13, 2012 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: gaming "tablets"??

There are definitely a lot of solid games available for iPad, and one of the nice thing is they tend to cost $1-15, rather than $30+ we're all used to for console / handheld systems. I don't think you should buy a tablet just for that purpose, but it's definitely a significant draw. (I'm also not a fan of *that* many touch-based tablet games, but I am probably in the minority on that one.)

Collapse -
What is the best Sims 3 expansion pack?

I want to choose a pack to buy, but I don't know which one! What should I get?

Collapse -
Sims 3
by jbakalar / December 13, 2012 1:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Current gen

After seeing games like The Last of Us, Tomb Raider and or Crysis 3, do we really need a next generation console when the current ones can produce visual like those?

Collapse -
Good question
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 13, 2012 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Current gen

Personally, I'd definitely say there are some diminishing returns regarding graphics for next-gen consoles. They'll get closer and closer to "photo-realistic" and Pixar-quality animation, but I doubt the jump is going to be nearly as big as the last generation.

That being said, there are a lot of improvements that could be made to current consoles in other capacities -- I'm especially excited to see how much further the new consoles with go with integrating streaming media / TV.

Collapse -
DarbeeVision Darblet

What are your thoughts on using the Darblet to improve my console gaming setup? Is this a good way to improve my console's picture quality on an otherwise unupgrade-able platform?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.