General discussion

Ask the editors live event -- Choosing the right smartphone

by CNET Event admin / October 16, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

Smartphones are everywhere, and choosing the one that's right for
you isn't easy. Not only do you have to pick a phone design, there's
also the OS, the carrier, and the best service plan. Fortunately, CNET
is here to help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ask the editors live event -- Choosing the right smartphone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ask the editors live event -- Choosing the right smartphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Best smartphone with less radiation.
by seerajan / November 20, 2012 1:13 AM PST

Hi i am interested in buying a new Smartphone,Please let me know which is the best smartphone interms of features and also less radiation (SAR).

Collapse -
Tricky stuff
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Best Verizon Smartphone for calls/texting/internet?
by AlisaG5 / November 20, 2012 1:30 AM PST

My HTC Incredible has been fantastic - until about 2-3 months ago when it tried to download the new operating system. Have been having issues on and off since then and I'm up for an upgrade anyway. So - what is the best new phone for me if I stay with Verizon? I make calls, text, email, internet - that's it. No need to watch movie or play games. Thx

Collapse -
A ton of options
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:34 AM PST

Verizon has some really great options now. Brian really loves the new HTC Droid DNA, and I reviewed the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Samsung Galaxy S3. It sounds like if you prefer to stay with Android, those are going to be your top bets -- so long as you don't mind a large-screen phone.

Collapse -
Welcome, everyone!
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:30 AM PST

Brian and I are excited to take your questions and let our fingers fly! Keep in mind that we won't be able to answer every query, but we'll do the best we can. Ready, set, ask away!

Collapse -
protective covers
by sdtaylor2 / November 20, 2012 1:30 AM PST

Are they really necessary? If so, which are best?

Collapse -
They can help
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: protective covers

I personally hate the plastic films you can stick onto a phone face, but after an iPhone I have cracked its glass, I switched from a soft case for it to a hard one. Now I just watch phones fall without worry. For the iPhone, I use a Ballistic case.

Collapse -
Where to start?
by DLM2000 / November 20, 2012 1:30 AM PST

I'm a smart phone virgin, a verizon customer, and would like the best value for my money and an easy learning curve. ANy ideas?

Collapse -
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Where to start?

Windows Phone could be a terrific fit for you. The Nokia Lumia 822 costs $99 (and could go on sale with the holiday rush, you never know.) It runs Windows Phone 8, which is a pretty straightforward OS. The iPhone 4S is also $100 and is a pretty easy OS to master; however I wouldn't want you to regret buying last year's model and being stuck for 2 years after you've mastered it.

Collapse -
Any Bias
by chai4two / November 20, 2012 1:30 AM PST

Will this be biased toward Motorola since they are sponsoring?

Collapse -
Any Bias
by brianbennettCNET CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Any Bias

Nope not at all! I like Motorola phones but HTC device are very nice as well. I really like the HTC Droid DNA in fact. It's one of the best phones on Verizon right now.

Collapse -
(NT) is the sprint plans still the best deal out there
by echodts / November 20, 2012 1:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Not necessarily
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:38 AM PST
Collapse -
by himmy150 / November 20, 2012 1:30 AM PST

What do you think about the Motorola DEFY by Republic Wireless?

Collapse -
by brianbennettCNET CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: DEFY

Nope, haven't looked at the Defy on Republic but I did review the Defy II for U.S. Cellular. It was OK but I feel a tough case would be a better investment paired with a faster phone.

Collapse -
Phone Prices
by bet_money / November 20, 2012 1:31 AM PST

Why such a big price difference between a prepaid smartphone and the same unlocked smartphone? Can't you unlock a prepaid?

Collapse -
Really good question
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Phone Prices

Prepaid smartphones definitely aren't subsidized (or at least not like contract phones.) You typically see prepaid carriers in the U.S. offering midrange to lower-end models so they can keep prices down. Unlocked phones that are globally available can also include high-end phones and sell for $500 or $600. High-end phones on prepaid carriers sell for a lot too.

You should be able to unlock a prepaid phone, but keep in mind that some run on CDMA networks and won't work in GSm markets.

Collapse -
Samsung Galaxy Note II on 3G?
by fussellclan / November 20, 2012 1:31 AM PST

I'm on Sprint network 4G WiMax and 4G LTE not available yet. I'm currently using HTC EVO 4G smartphone, but I want the Samsung Galaxy Note II. If I get the Note now, my speed will downgrade to 3G. The Note II has faster processing speeds but I think the reduction in the network speed will likely be troublesome. Sprint advertises download speeds as the following: 3G 600kbps - 1.4 mbps; 4G (WiMax) 3 - 6 mbps; and 4G LTE 6-8 mpbs. Is the download speed reduction significant enough to hold off and not get the Note II until my network is upgraded to 4G LTE? I like Sprint because of the unlimited data and Family Locator feature so I don't want to change network providers.

Collapse -
Tough decisions
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:42 AM PST

The Galaxy Note 2 is a great device, but if you mostly use it on the network and not on WiFi, you may notice a difference. Now's a good time to buy because of sales, but if you also hold off, you may see more sales in the future as new phones arrive. If you predominantly use WiFi for your texts, email, etc, no need to wait.

Collapse -
samsung sIII
by flavere / November 20, 2012 1:31 AM PST

I bought a Samsung sIII and had a difficult time opererating it. I couldn't answer it. I returned it. Is this common with this phone?

Collapse -
Haven't heard that complaint
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: samsung sIII

If you're saying that you couldn't pick up incoming phone calls, that's the first I've heard of it. You could have just had a lemon. Sorry, though, how annoying.

Collapse -
Heabvy phone user for Verizon, please help!
by coolguy1997 / November 20, 2012 1:31 AM PST

I am looking to upgrade 2 phones for the Verizon network, but want to make sure that I am not going to regret my purchase when the new phones are released early next year. What phone do you think is the best and most future proof for Verizon? Was mainly going back and forth wih Samsung Galaxy s3, note 2, iphone 5, and now the HTC DNA. Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Heabvy phone user for Verizon, please help!
by brianbennettCNET CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:43 AM PST

I'd go with the Droid DNA over the Note II unless you really want that stylus. Both are quad-core phones though which will better withstand the passage of time than the GSIII! I'd go with an iPhone is you want a more user-friendly experience or a smaller size device.

Collapse -
Windows Phones
by crockdad / November 20, 2012 1:31 AM PST

Generally, are you fans of the new windows phones coming out? Do you feel the app support will be strong down the road?

Collapse -
Windows Phones
by brianbennettCNET CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Phones

Yeah I think the new WP8 devices are pretty nice. It really depends on how well app development goes. You can get many apps but some aren't there yet.

Collapse -
Samsung Galaxy III
by mfcaruso / November 20, 2012 1:31 AM PST

Which Carries is the best?

Collapse -
Droid 4.0 for ATT
by danoftco / November 20, 2012 1:31 AM PST

What's a good phone with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) for ATT.
This is for my daughter who hasn't had a smart phone (and rarely texted on her current cell phone).

Collapse -
Windows Phone vs Droid
by chai4two / November 20, 2012 1:32 AM PST

I'm considering Windows or Droid - what is better? I'm not considering iphone because of maps which I used extensively

Collapse -
Depends on what you like
by J-Do CNET staff / November 20, 2012 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Phone vs Droid
Collapse -
wife's phone
by wonderdad / November 20, 2012 1:32 AM PST

Wife has old blackberry. She just bought a Samsung galaxy3 but found out that all the apps have total access to your contacts. She has learned that only way to block apps from accessing or I guess deny permissions for individual apps is to root the phone.

She is thinking of returning it and going with iphone5. Does iphone5 allow you to deny permissions to the apps so they don't have all of your contacts info?

I have a Samsung galaxy nexus for one year. And in household we have two Android tablets.

Is she being paranoid? Should she stay with Samsung? Any programs that she doesn't know about that allow you to block permissions on android platforms?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.