Tablets forum

General discussion

Ask the Editors: How to optimize your tablet live chat with CNET editors, Eric Franklin and Scott Stein

by CNET Event admin / July 27, 2011 4:50 AM PDT
***This event has ended ***

See below for transcript of this event.

Click here to see all upcoming and previous events
Buying your tablet is only part of the process. Once it is in your hands, how can you make it better? We call out tips and tricks for optimizing your device, and we offer advice for top apps and accessories.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ask the Editors: How to optimize your tablet live chat with CNET editors, Eric Franklin and Scott Stein
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ask the Editors: How to optimize your tablet live chat with CNET editors, Eric Franklin and Scott Stein
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video or chatroom?

Is this event in video or just a chatroom? The page is unclear. Can I participate ON a tablet or do I need to be on a PC?

Collapse -
Just chat
by ScottStein8 CNET staff / August 24, 2011 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Video or chatroom?

Whatever has a web browser should work!

Collapse -

Hello everyone! Scott Stein and I are here to answer all your tablet optimization questions. You may fire when ready...

Collapse -
Word Processing and Printing

What do you recommend for doing word processing and printing on iPad?

Collapse -
Pages for me
by ScottStein8 CNET staff / August 24, 2011 2:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Rooting your tablet

What are the risks of rooting an Android tablet and can it be reversed it goes wrong?

Collapse -
Motorola Xoom keyboard

I've been looking for a case for the Motorola Xoom which would include the keyboard and device. Unfortunately, Motorola doesn't make one. Do you suggest a third party which would be a good solution?

Collapse -
Default apps

I need to know how to uninstall the default/free apps that came with my ACER ICONIA A500

Collapse -
Try this
by efranklin CNET staff / August 24, 2011 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Default apps

Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All

Then choose the app you want to delete and select Uninstall. See if that works.

Collapse -
basic apps

There is no calculator included in the ipad2. What is the best free one to get from the app store?

Also, what do you recommend for a calendar that interfaces with the google calendar? Any other favorite productivity apps?

Collapse -

What apps do you recommend to optomize a tablet?

Collapse -
No particular apps
by efranklin CNET staff / August 24, 2011 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Xoom

To get the most performance out of your tablet, I recommend turning off background apps whenever possible and turning the brightness down to half in most cases. This will give you the best performance while optimizing battery life.

Collapse -
Which tablet

Is this session for any kind of tablet? i.e., the iPad2?

Collapse -
Sure is
by efranklin CNET staff / August 24, 2011 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Which tablet

Collapse -
Do you know how we can bypass a proxy server with the iPad?

Collapse -

Are there apps you can use or is there software you need to install?

Collapse -
touchpad doc editing

Is there any way to edit docs on a Touchpad? Does Google docs work?

Collapse -
Rich Reed

Sometimes when I "power down " my iPad 2 for the end of the day, it will start up the next time as if it has been "awakened" i. e. more rapidly. Is there a potential problem associated with this phenomenon?

Collapse -
OS Update

Is it possible to update a 2.1 Android Tablet to 3.1? I want to get a Dell Streak 7 but my problem with is is that it's a 2.1 and not 3.1

Collapse -
Short answer, no
by efranklin CNET staff / August 24, 2011 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: OS Update

Not a legit way that I know of. HoneyComb (Android 3.0) tablets all have the same hardware innards (Tegra 2 CPU, etc) and the OS is currently optimized for that hardware.

Collapse -
PDF Converter app

Do you know of a good PDF Converter (to word) for the iPad?

Collapse -
iPad- best remote desktop software regardless of price?

Which has the best to offer with regards to features, performance, and support?

Collapse -
Virus protection

Is it recommended to get some kind of virus protection for your iPad? If so, what do you recommend?

Collapse -
No virus protection needed
by ScottStein8 CNET staff / August 24, 2011 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus protection

But there are ways that phishing and other links can effectively end up hacking accounts such as Twitter should you click on them. iOS doesn't need virus protection, especially since it doesn't download any apps outside of the App Store. Perhaps iOS devices might end up being vulnerable in the future, but Apple does a good job keeping up with iOS security updates.

Collapse -
Tethering through an iPad?

I have the original iPad with AT&T cellular service. Can I tether my notebook through the iPad's cellular connection?

Collapse -
Asus EEE Transformer pad

Can I use it with a Cisco Wifi network? Or does it need its own Asus 802?

Collapse -

How do I use my new iPad 2 for a phone?

Collapse -

Will their be a word processor for the touchpad

Collapse -
If someone makes one
by efranklin CNET staff / August 24, 2011 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Touchpad

The TouchPad is no longer supported by HP, but it may be supported still by those interested in making apps for WebOS. HP sold at least 250K of these things (Best Buy stock sold through), so there is now a user base out there. We'll have to wait and see though.

Collapse -
tablet reviews

Where can I find some good reviews that rate adn compare the best tablets now on the market?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.