Speakeasy

General discussion

As long as we're discussing public information

by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2013 11:10 PM PST

I'd ask about birth records. It's long been customary for newspapers to list live births in what is/was called the "Vital Statistics" section of the paper. The information included would be the gender of the child and the name of the parents. More and more, we are seeing either only a mothers name or parents with different last names. In fact, it may be that these two categories outnumber births to married couples. Perhaps the unmarried parents don't care who knows and who does not. I wonder, for those who'd prefer privacy, if publishing this information should be allowed. I know it's used by marketing companies and that's enough to make me think the newspapers should cease the practice.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: As long as we're discussing public information
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: As long as we're discussing public information
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd say it should be like marriage and death announcements
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 11:32 PM PST

only run when someone from the family provides the information for the annoucement. Or in you case, one of the parents should submit the name. Otherwise, just report the number born in the city,county, etc, on a day, week, or whatever statistical basis you want, no names, no identifying information.

Collapse -
Vital Statistics also include
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2013 11:58 PM PST

Divorce and dissolutions...both asked for and granted. I don't know how birth records are handled today. It may be that parents are asked and can opt out of the listing. Some people pay to have this done and the same with wedding engagements, graduations, etc. I know that obituaries are quite costly these days. They can run into the hundreds of dollars depending on how much wording, if a picture is included, and how many days it will run. Sales people and marketers have this land on their doorstep and so do people with malicious intent. Live births notices appear as a result of the country record when a birth certificate is applied for. AFAIK, these records are public.

Collapse -
Public records, how that has changed
by Roger NC / January 5, 2013 12:41 AM PST

You use to have to go down and search the books, now a lot of it is online. It's convenient but there are those drawbacks to too many people having them.

Even in a, hmmmm, less techonological advance area like here, I can go online and get the name and address and tax evaluation price for every piece of land listed in the county tax rolls.

It's good when you want to know who to contact, but can't you imagine where such isn't so good? The land behind me is divided into housing lots on the county map even though it's still farmed as one piece. The owner lives 2 hours away, but her name and address are listed.

Collapse -
It used to be
by TONI H / January 5, 2013 12:03 AM PST

that not only could the unwed mother refuse to give a father's name, but the certificate itself had a check box for 'legitimate' or 'illegitimate'. Now, in order to collect support from father's of children that might go into the welfare system or have those children eventually collect social security disability or death benefits from that father, the name of the father is now mandatory.

Collapse -
years ago, NC required if there was a husband
by Roger NC / January 5, 2013 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: It used to be

his name be on the birth certificate, even if the couple had separated before conception and the biological father claimed the child.

Even if I dislike the intrustion, I can see the (actual) father's name being required for the reasons you mentioned.

Collapse -
Hmmm...interesting
by Steven Haninger / January 5, 2013 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: It used to be

And having stumbled into the (sickening and atrocious) Maury Povich program, I could see the day when DNA confirmation could be necessary even if a couple was married and/or both claimed parenthood.

Collapse -
I was off Mon this week,
by Roger NC / January 5, 2013 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...interesting

I was surprised to find that still came on.

Was flipping through channels and went by it. It's even crazier than Jerry Springer.

(I confess to having watch Springer when it was late night a few times years ago.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.