Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Aro 2011

by gpadilla7 / March 10, 2011 9:16 PM PST

I download it to check my Gateway PC and it tells me I have 1029 registry and tweaks remaining on my laptop. I don't know if this company is reputable and do I truly have all these errors. I don't mind paying $29.95, but will this really help my laptop? someone elsr said I would have it for free for a year, but don't see that as an option. Thank you in advance for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aro 2011
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aro 2011
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NO! Don't do it !!!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 10, 2011 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: Aro 2011

You don't give a link to this Aro 2011 but the quick answer is this;

ANY so-called registry cleaner that scans the registry and finds large numbers of registry errors, then offers to fix them if you pay, are scams!

Do not do this. Do not pay for any registry cleaner.

In these forums you will find very very few suggestions to use any registry cleaners, free or paid. All too often they can cause more problems than they solve.

Please, don't do it.

Collapse -
What Can I Use to check for any problems?
by gpadilla7 / March 11, 2011 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: NO! Don't do it !!!

I have AVG 2011 is that enough?

Collapse -
Re: checking for problems
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 11, 2011 11:19 PM PST

The nice rule of thumb: if you don't experience problems, there are no problems. Do you experience problems? You didn't tell about them yet, that's why I'm asking.

AVG doesn't check for problems. It checks for viruses and other malware. That's a totally different thing, that no registry cleaner will ever find. So consider it complementary.

Collapse -
My Theory
by oafyb30057 / April 30, 2011 7:14 AM PDT

There is a program called AVG Tuneup 2011. I believe this is the program gpadilla7 is referring to.

Collapse -
by moontampa / June 4, 2011 4:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry Slim Cleaner is for cleaning and works well.
by moontampa / June 4, 2011 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: SlimCleaner
If you want a free Registry Cleaner try Glary Utilities.
Collapse -
Can you find support for that assertion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 5:26 AM PDT

So far I have yet to find a NON-BIASED review that found this to help.

For Windows 95 days, maybe it helped but today it's snake oil.

Collapse -
Will You Let Us Know!!
by jido1 / June 5, 2011 6:18 AM PDT

If and when you find an a NON-BIASED product review test site will you let us know. As well, I'm interested in knowing what your recommendation would be for a good Registry Cleaner.

Collapse -
There may not be one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Will You Let Us Know!!

Can you share what this registry cleaner is suppose to do?

Collapse -
What this registry cleaner is suppose to do?
by jido1 / June 5, 2011 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: There may not be one.

There are programs when uninstalled that should clean up after themselves. The uninstall should clean-up or clear the program's residual componant parts but don't. Alot of the component parts are left behind in registries and etc. An account I've heard from one's personal experience, Glary Utilities is one of those type of programs that will leave quite a bit of its program's components on your computer's registry system and else where. Who knows how many more programs are like that once the are uninstalled. Perhaps, through no fault of the user, a program is used for whatever the purpose and eventual uninstalled. The program's uninstall program for whatever reason is not proficient enough to clean up the program's component parts properly. Thus, the computer's registry and other areas must be cleaned up later by the user. Insofar as computer programs are concerned, all are not created equal. Hence, recommendation for the best to do the job for those of us not technologically savvy enough to know how and what to do.

Collapse -
That's ironic
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 9:58 PM PDT

If Glary's Utilities, a well known, and not much respected, registry cleaner and optimizer leaves traces of itself behind when it is uninstalled, what does that tell you about the developers of this utility?

Just a note about the Windows registry. It is just a database, nothing else. If there are any unused entries in the registry, they will simply be ignored. There is no need to clean it, or defrag it, or anything of the sort.

For any one who is not technologically savvy, my advice is to leave the registry alone and don't trust so-called optimizer and cleaner utilities. Those who are more technically aware than us do not need such utilities and are always wary of messing around with the registry.

Collapse -
Look at this software's claims.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 2:41 AM PDT

If did not claim to accomplish that.

Collapse -
No such animal.
by No_Stinkin_Toolbars / June 11, 2011 1:16 PM PDT

"As well, I'm interested in knowing what your recommendation would be for a good Registry Cleaner"

They're all snake-oil, IMO. Angry

Mark Russinovich (Author of the "Bible", Windows Internals,
co-founder of Winternals and Sysinternals, and since both companies
were bought by Microsoft, now a senior Microsoft employee) was asked:

Hi Mark, do you really think that Registry junk left by
uninstalled programs could severely slow down the computer? I would like
to 'hear' your opinion.

His reply fairly captures my own view (quoting Mark Russinovich):<b>No, even if the registry was massively bloated there
would be little impact on the performance of anything other than
exhaustive searches</b>....
I haven't and never will implement a Registry cleaner since it's
of little practical use on anything other than Win2K terminal servers
and developing one that's both safe and effective requires a huge amount
of application-specific knowledge.

Collapse -
(NT) Well said.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: No such animal.
Collapse -
Try WinASO Registry Optimizer
by moontampa / June 6, 2011 4:07 AM PDT

I use this and it works great.
End of Story.
Use on Windows 7 ultltmate 64 bit

Collapse -
I wouldn't!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 4:09 AM PDT

The registry does not need optimizing.

End of story.

Collapse -
As you can read in all other posts ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 4:12 AM PDT

in this thread: we don't recommend using a registry optimizer. Even if some users say it works great, which probably means "With me, it didn't crash my system, although I don't know what it optimized and how much faster the system became, because I didn't measure that either."

Collapse -
Bad advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 5:29 AM PDT

Here's how you can spot bad advice. -> They offer a registry cleaner.

It's that simple.

Collapse -
(NT) Still Waiting For The Legitimate/Unbiased Test Site....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 8:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
With Such A Recommendation, Can You Provide??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

Can you provide a third party, NON-BIASED, review or test site which show Glary's, or any other registry cleaner, improves performance? I doubt it. We've done some searching around here and we've found no such test sites. Such programs find lots of proposed registry errors, that aren't really problems.. I find it interesting that I've run a few tests on such programs immediately after a clean install of Windows XP and Windows 7, and Glary Utilities, as well as other programs still find hundreds, if not thousands of registry errors.. Interesting don't you think.

And during those tests here, we've found no reason to use a registry cleaner on computers which use Windows XP or later..

In our experience here, we see more bad, than good, caused by using such programs. Frequently, registry cleaners delete entries that are required for various Windows functions to work.. Relying on any third party program to tell YOU which registry entries are "errors" is a mistake unless you have sufficient skill and can make an independent judgement on ALL of the errors brought up by the program..

Have you got any registry cleaner comparison test sites? if not, then maybe the original poster might consider staying away from such programs.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Will You Let Us Know!!
by jido1 / June 5, 2011 7:11 AM PDT

If and when you find a NON-BIASED product review test site, will you let us know.

In consideration of your opinion concerning registry cleaners, wherein, they can do more harm than good by deleting entries that are required for various Windows functions to work. For those of us who use registry cleaners and without sufficient skills to make independent judgement calls on registry errors, is there a product that can assess damages that may have been done to Windows XP and Windows 7 through the use of registry cleaners? That can evaluate/assess Windows XP and Windows 7's registry condition for proper functionality.

Collapse -
That's The Point.. I've Not Found A Good Test Site..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 10:56 AM PDT

..and it's because there may not be any. Yes, registry cleaners do something, but whether that's good or bad depends on your experience with them.. Certainly, cleaning a few registry entries from a computer will not greatly improve performance UNLESS such entries are malware related.. IN that case, a good malware removal tool is a much better options for removing damaging registry entries.. They're specific to malware entries only..

As to needing a tool to access damages that may have been caused by registry cleaners, try using the registry cleaner you're using and use its "undo" option.. Such should bring it back to its original state. In my opinion, there's really no reason to use a registry cleaner, unless you know what the cleaner is removing.. For most of us, that means don't use one.

As mentioned previously, we frequently see members of these forums bring up damages caused by registry cleaners.. Generally, if a program doesn't function correctly, or if something stops functioning immediately after using a registry cleaner, it's quite apparent.. There's no need to use any tool to identify it.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by codevark / September 8, 2011 5:38 AM PDT

In my experience, the registry can and generally does become wildly messed up over time (just like Windows itself). Most uninstallers do not work correctly, leaving crap all over the place. A vanilla install of Windows XP leaves, depending on your definition of error, about 180 registry "errors". The other problem with the registry is that changes are not made in place: the original value is marked as invalid but remains in place, and the new value/key/whatever is appended to the registry file(s). Over time, this causes the registry file(s) to become bloated with junk, and information which is displayed in a nice hierarchical tree in regedit, for example, is actually stored all over the place.

I've used Registry Repair Pro (3B Software) for probably over a decade, and the only time I've ever seen it mess anything up is when I was being less than careful with its advanced features. The question of performance is answered easily by this example: My wife's desktop took forever to boot, like 10 minutes. There weren't a lot of startup items, and it was malware free (another discussion). I ran RRP on it, found about 1900 errors, fixed them, defragmented the registry files, rebooted, and it literally went from the Windows logo to full desktop GUI in about 20 seconds. I call that proof. I have seen this same performance increase on literally hundred of machines over the years. I currently care for about 75 machines where I work, and I probably run RRP on each machine at least once a month.

Besides these two main functions, RRP's ability to search for one or more strings I have found to be invaluable in uninstalling certain "valid" programs which resist removal; Software Updater is one example of this. Almost impossible to remove. You can remove the Roxio or Sonic suite that installed it, and it remains, and it's dug in deep. Without RRP, it would take way longer to find and remove the registry crap using regedit alone.

All that being said, RRP has a few minor bugs, is rarely updated (I think the current v4 is about 6 years old), and the publisher has been linked to some shady threatvertising tactics on a couple of occasions. If you buy a license for RRP, and use it carefully, it's worth the $19.95 (or whatever I paid for it).

Collapse -
Same Question To You.. Can You Provide???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 12, 2011 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: IMHO

...a non-biased, third party comparative review site of a variety of Registry cleaners/optimizers, which includes yours..?? Still waiting here...

There's a reason why there are few, if any such sites available.(I've yet to find ANY.) It's because such tools provide little, if any help for truly increasing performance. Yes, it may find "1900 errors" on a computer but after it cleans things up, you could run the same program again and it will find many of those same things again, or different ones.Even the best only remove about 50 - 60% of the errors they find.

And more importantly, what ARE those "errors" it's finding. Most aren't actual "errors" at all, simply obsolete entries which aren't being used anymore.. Since the registry may contain more than a million entries, eliminating a couple thousand unused entries doesn't provide any major reduction in scanning time. (I've seen many such registry cleaners make boot times LONGER after running them..) I find it interesting that your tool find 180 errors on a brand new Windows installation. I've seen other such tools find thousands on a new install.. Which tool is right?

Good luck at work using a product that has a "few minor bugs" with" shady threatvertising tactics"..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
ARO 2011
by wilmawoods / July 11, 2011 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: NO! Don't do it !!!

I downloaded ARO 2011 free trial and now I can't remove it. It keeps coming back.

Collapse -
Tried Using Revo Uninstaller?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 12, 2011 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: ARO 2011
Collapse -
I don't just want to uninstall it--I want my money back!
by loridoria / July 22, 2011 2:09 AM PDT

Okay, I admit that it was foolish to actually pay for ARO (about $30)--but they said that I could cancel it within 30 days for a full refund. Actually, I have no complaints about it (except, how do I know it's telling the truth about those thousands of errors it claims to be fixing??!!). But I've since had a personal emergency and really need the money back (plus I've read negative reviews, like these)--but the company won't answer my e-mails! It's been about ten days, and I keep requesting that refund, and they just ignore me.

Collapse -
Paid by Credit Card? (CC)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 2:11 AM PDT

Call the CC company and ask to deny the charges. Happens all the time. The CC company does this all the time.

Collapse -
I removed it without a "registry cleaner"
by Blackhorse161 / March 3, 2014 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: ARO 2011

This seems contradictory and a bit risky, but it completely worked for me:

download the latest version of ARO (which I think is ARO2013 at the moment), install it and then turn around and uninstall it right away. Installing the new version is the only effective way to remove ARO2011, since that piece of crap was issued without a decent "uninstall" file included.

The new version uninstalled without a hitch. DONE. No more ARO.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.