The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Are you planning to buy a high definition DVD player?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 23, 2007 7:23 AM PDT
Are you planning to buy a high definition DVD player?

Yes, HD DVD (Why?)
Yes, Blu-ray (Why?)
Yes, a player that plays both HD DVD and Blu-ray
I'm waiting to see which format wins (Which do you predict it will be?)
No plans to buy either one (Reasons?)
I don't have an HDTV (Reasons?)
I already own one (Which format?)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are you planning to buy a high definition DVD player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are you planning to buy a high definition DVD player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HD-DVD will win out
by cavu / May 23, 2007 1:24 PM PDT

HD-DVD will win out and when it does, I will buy one.

Sony is making the same licensing mistakes with BluRay as it did with Beta.

Collapse -
HD-DVD offers normal DVD one side, HD-DVD on the other side!
by michaelcvoigt / May 23, 2007 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: HD-DVD will win out

How cool is that, you can buy the normal DVD now and enjoy the HD experience later.

BLU-RAY will never be able to do this ... licensing permits it.

Collapse -
why?
by beefmoney / May 24, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

If you have a high def player why? would you want the sd verison on the disk to? i guess you may want to watch the lo grade verison if your bored.

Collapse -
Probably for future upgrade
by zgreenwell / May 24, 2007 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: why?

The theory is that you will be able to buy the DVD and play it then upgrade to HD-DVD later without having to rebuy the DVD. I have yet to see a DVD like this, but they COULD exists. If they did you would expect to pay more for them anyway.

Eventually should HD-DVD become the only High definition disc format ALL DVDs could be produced as HD-DVDs without alienating people who have yet to upgrade their player. This probably wont happen, but there is at least the possibility of it.

Collapse -
thanks
by beefmoney / May 26, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

that would be cool if that came about but i for one dont think it would hey but its a good idea. i think its going to take a while for one format to win. especially with dual format players becoming avaiable.

Collapse -
Blu-Ray v. HD TV
by ThomasDerk / May 23, 2007 10:08 PM PDT

This time, Blu-ray and HD DVD are going to survive. I have an Xbox 360 with HD and a PS3 with Blu-ray. Get Netflix, and half the movies are high resolution.

Collapse -
Sony has that certain history, doesn't it! :-(
by Cadillac84 / May 23, 2007 11:48 PM PDT

Sony has a knack for developing a superior technology and causing it to fail by restrictive licensing practices. Look at Trinitron. Look at BetaMax (which remains the professional standard, but will soon fade as even the pros move to all digital recording). There are surely others -- maybe the mini-disc which could have been a real hit if there had been easy ways to extract from mini-disc to computer.

Now there is Blu-Ray and they are doing it again!

If there were a reasonably priced dual-format player available, I'd buy one now. If there were a reasonably priced player of either format, I'd buy one now. If there were reasonably priced players of both, I'd buy both now.

As it is, there is a bunch of stuff that reminds one of Russian tanks more than electronic equipment, and much too expensive.

Not long from now, I expect to see drives for computers that are SATA and affordable. HD-DVD will surely get to that point ahead of Blu-Ray and then, for a while, we'll have both. Blu-Ray will probably fall by the way-side. (I'll probably have both.)

Other examples of technology ruined by restrictive marketing practices?

Try SCSI -- thanks, Adaptec!
Try Micro-Channel -- thanks, IBM!
Try O/S-2 -- thanks, IBM!
Token Ring -- thanks, IBM!

I'll bet many of you could add to this list.

Anyway, I think HD-DVD will prevail in the longer run and I'll buy either or both if a good "bang for buck" product appears.

C

Collapse -
blu-ray has already won
by CobNat / May 24, 2007 5:51 AM PDT

and it's ridiculous that toshiba won't just give up!
Disney, Fox, Sony, Columbia, LionsGate, 20th Century Fox and MGM are all exclusively producing blu-ray discs and there are rumors of universal, who is the only studio that is exclusive to HD, becoming neutral.

The PlayStation 3 has sold way more units than the HD drive for x-box and stand alone players combined.

BD-M100A is a Blu-ray reader and 2x writer and has additional support for reading and writing DVDs and CDs, similar to other drives on the market. The drive is now available across Europe. Plus the Pioneer PC-based Blu-ray disc drives started shipping last year.

Collapse -
Waiting 'till the winner is declared.
by DougBP / May 23, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

I am waiting to see which one wins because I got stung buying a Sony Beta cassette deck. I still think Beta was the better system but Sony got "out-marketed". While I haven't done a lot of research into the merits of Blu-ray or HD DVD, I tend to be in Sony's corner again.

Collapse -
Sony may well push themselves out of the market again
by fordag / May 23, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

Beta was a better format than VHS (quality vs quantity) at first but VHS caught up quickly. Sony also failed to properly license the technology. So more VHS VCRs were available and they were cheaper so it became the dominant format. Until finally Beta went the way of the dodo.

The question is will Sony do it again with Blu-Ray? They certainly seem to be trying to do it with their memory stick media format as well as the UMD format. Find hardware that uses either of those formats not made by Sony.

So based on Sony's current track record of creating a proprietary version of a media that already exists in other widely available formats and not licensing it well, and then over charging for it. I'm guessing Blu-Ray will be short lived.

Collapse -
You are arguing against yourself!
by VidPro / May 23, 2007 3:38 PM PDT

As you say, Beta was marginally better than VHS, but had shorter play/record times, and that was what killed it. (I know, I was there and had to make that choice myself for a higher education institution).

While Sony had shot itself in the foot with proprietary formats, at this time at least Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Sharp, LG, Lite-On, and Mitsubishi are selling Blu-ray players.

Who is selling HD-DVD players? Toshiba, and with their Xbox game console add-on, Microsoft.

As a matter of fact, of the top 20 DVDs sold in America over 2006, 18 also came to Blu-ray, while a meagre 4 or 5 made it to HD DVD. This is arguably one of the biggest strengths that Blu-ray has - studio support. The number of releases might be similar between the two formats, but delve deeper into the "quality" of the films on offer, and it's a different story. HD DVD seems to have an abundance of documentaries and similar content, while Blu-ray is focused more on feature films. Which would you prefer to watch? This last info came from a comparison website: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/771/771196p2.html

To top it all off, of the titles that are available in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, more Blu-ray copies were sold than HD-DVD, even with the supposed advantage of the dual standard DVD/HD-DVD hybrid discs.

Collapse -
Actually, add HP, LG, NEC, and maybe Samsung to HD-DVD mix.
by Cadillac84 / May 24, 2007 12:44 AM PDT

You may argue that Toshiba is making the laser engines. Well, that is not uncommon. For years, Canon made the engine for HP laser printers (and they may still for all I know!). Most of the LCD panels used for computer displays are made by one manufacturer. That becomes a problem ONLY if the manufacturer is restricive in its marketing so that the other companies it sells to can't profitably market their own end-user products.

Toshiba does NOT have that restrictive marketing history. Unfortunately, SONY DOES! So, you're going to have plenty of players to choose from.

Your comments about titles available and sales of same? I'd say it is too early to get a read on that. Sony's Blu-Ray media is harder and more expensive to record. Also, Sony exercises content nanny-sitting and that won't help the Blu-Ray side of things. HD-DVD is easier and cheaper to record and content is not restricted.

You could be right about who will win --- one man can see just as far into the ground as another (save for Superman!). It could happen this time BOTH survive. The market is HUGE. AMD and Intel survive and we benefit from their rivalry. APPLE and "PC" survive and we benefit from their rivalry.

As for me, I am "hooked on Hi-Def" just like Lee. I retired a 20 inch RCA and replaced it with a 57 inch Mitsubishi DLP and when I saw Planet Earth in 1080i, or how about Jay Leno's set on NBC-HD! (Did you see the DRESS Debra Messing was wearing last night? Holy cow!)

Anyway, being hooked on Hi-Def also means I'm going to jump on the first affordable quality Hi-Def player. I'm betting on HD-DVD so far. And I'm hoping they BOTH win! Happy

C

Collapse -
I agree
by beefmoney / May 24, 2007 4:25 AM PDT

I think sony in the past has made mistakes but blu-ray holds more info and since the release of the ps3 I have seen the blu-ray display grow. I think with all its studio support and with the ps3/gaming support it looks like it has the leg up! And I think people or should I say the general pop are more informed then in the past.

Collapse -
It would be stupid to buy an HDTV
by jdk1 / May 23, 2007 1:49 PM PDT

With the price and short supplies of all forms of energy around the world today The U S congress is shoving "HDTV" down our throats,at the same time they tell us we are addicted to foreign oil. HDTV recievers will cost 10 times as much to buy as the recievers we are using now and will require 10% more electricity to operate. Is there some stupidity here? I think so! I do NOT need a "better picture", I need programs that are fit to view and worth the time I spend viewing them to say nothing of the cost of subscribing, this is carzy!

Collapse -
I have to agree
by jbaviera / May 23, 2007 2:43 PM PDT

What we need now is an Intelligence knob.

Collapse -
stupid to buy an hd tv?
by p07skle / May 23, 2007 2:51 PM PDT

Whatever dude...But I do not consider myself stupid for buying an HDTV...if you are so energy nuts...why not shut down that computer you are on...it uses energy too...and by the way..it is crazy (not carzy) and receivers (not recievers)

Collapse -
Sorry, but you're just plain WRONG!
by Cadillac84 / May 24, 2007 12:21 AM PDT

Congress is not shoving HDTV down our throats. Congress is shoving DIGITAL TV down our throats. The decision to have High Definition is stricly up to you.

Whether the FCC and Congress made a right or wrong decision about DIGITAL TV could be discussed; but at this late date, it is moot. You can obtain a DIGITAL TUNER which will probably be free if you wait long enough, and you will be able to tune the DIGITAL TV channels and continue to use your old TV. If/when you decide you WANT a new TV, the TV you buy will have a digital tuner. You NEED NOT BUY HIGH DEFINITION!

The decision (FCC and Congress) to move to DIGITAL TV station licensing was an effort to clean up what had become a nightmare of TV broadcast bands. All of the broadcast bands currently in use for VHF Low Band, VHF High Band, UHF, etc. will become available for other uses. People living in fringe reception areas will be able to use a high-gain antenna to receive digital signals and the picture will be much better than what they experience now on traditional TV.

If you want to discuss programming and/or the merits of DIGITAL TV, start a thread. This thread is about High Definition, all of which happens to be DIGITAL, ---- well, that's not correct. THIS THREAD is about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD PLAYERS and that has nothing to do with Congress or broadcast TV. So, if you want to watch a movie, pick one. If you don't want to watch a movie, pick none.

If, rather than being wrong, you're just a moron -- save the planet by changing the "0" to "8" at the end of the "2000" on your Gore for Pres bumper stickers. You just KNEW those bumper stickers would come in handy, didn't you!

Collapse -
WOW! There are people still like this out there!
by tdk in dallas / May 24, 2007 12:44 AM PDT

I bought a 37" LCD HDTV mainly to use as my monitor in a Media Center setup. I got rid of a 36" TV and a 21" monitor at the same time. The setup works great and created a lot more space for me! The really neat thing is that all of my local stations broadcast in HD and it is FREE! Who's "CARZY" now? ROTFL!

Collapse -
Obviously you just can't afford an HDTV
by shaun roberts / May 24, 2007 12:47 AM PDT

If you could, then you would realize how great it is. Either that or you are just an idiot.

Collapse -
Blue-Ray being pushed
by compusolver / May 24, 2007 3:22 AM PDT

First, as far as whether we "need" hdtv or not, please keep in mind that of the major TV standards througought the world (NTSC, PAL, SEACAM), ours (NTSC) is the poorest.

Shot your local tv/electronics stores and what do you find? Everyone is pushing Blu-Ray and they hide the HD-DVD sets in the rear.

Only selected parts of the "facts" regarding these formats are getting out. For instance, most people think that BluRay discs will hold more than HD-DVD. While that may be true at the moment, HD-DVD discs hold more promise in the near future for greater capacity than Blu-Ray.

Most people think that Blu-Ray is some sort of complete set of standards being upheld by all its manufacturers, but unfortunately, that is not the case. Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD offer fantastic power within their new menu formats, but the Blu-Ray people can't get this right and their "standards" are constantly fluxuating so that menus made on one set won't work on sets by other manufacturers or even the same manufacturer's sets made several months later!

Some of these problems have been documented in eventDV magazine and others.

- Hank Castello
www.WeddingVideoDoneRight.com

Collapse -
Here Here!!
by 139_IQ / May 24, 2007 10:49 AM PDT

I totally agree with jdk1.
I watch as much as 4 or 5 hours of SD television a day (I know, bad habit) - the thing is, only 15 minutes to 1 hour max is broadcast television, the rest is pre-recorded TV on DVD and an occasional movie. The reason is TV shows these days are so filthy, violent or such an insult to my intelligence that I find it unbearable.

My 13 year old 27-inch top-of-the-line Mitsubishi SDTV still looks as good or better than any HD LCD with a regular def DVD through the S-video (uncombed signal). It is a brilliant picture and thank my luck stars every night that I know how to fix TVs (so I can keep it working!).

Collapse -
Your arguing about electrically consumption, wrong forum bud.
by NMAK / May 24, 2007 2:59 PM PDT

"10% more electricity to operate"

Hmm?

Several HDTV's are LCD just like laptop displays, ya congress must be shoving LCD technology on our laptops too, why are there no more CRT laptops I guess they just want us paying for more power.

Or wait, was it just that LCD's costs requires less power then CRT's.

Collapse -
high def dvd player ..not yet
by ereal2000 / May 23, 2007 2:04 PM PDT

I am waiting to see what format wins. As of right now it is to much money for both the player and the movies. Since you have some movies from one studio on blu-ray and the others on HD-DVD. I don't see spending money on this until their is a single format.

Collapse -
NOt planning to buy one
by rhomp2002 / May 23, 2007 2:07 PM PDT

I have too many other things to do that it would just be a waste for me. As it is I turn the TV on about 2 hours a week and not even every week. Why would I bother paying that much money for something I will never appreciate.

Collapse -
This is good technology - IF you can afford it.
by earroyo309 / May 23, 2007 2:25 PM PDT

I've seen movies in HD and they are wonderful. I am on a fixed income and would like HD if it was not so darned expensive. We will, as I understand, be required to purchase either a digital TV or a converter - no future programming will be available in analog format very soon - just do not like the government telling me what to do or how to spend what little money that I have. (Hat's off to Mark Cuban - he owns all HD rights and can afford a One Million Dollar fine for his behavior during an NBA game. If I had his wealth, everyone in the world would have HD and movie/documentary access - which would allow us to remain free.)

Collapse -
You'll get Digital TV free
by Cadillac84 / May 24, 2007 1:08 AM PDT

I don't understand why this thread has become a rant against DIGITAL TV.

I agree with you that the stuff is just too expensive now. Even those of us who are NOT on fixed incomes are waiting for something to happen here.

But, as far as the DIGITAL TV is concerned, if you still need a converter when ANALOG TV broadcasts end in 2009(?), you will be given a voucher which will allow you to obtain a digital converter. If you subscribe to a cable service, you won't even need that because the cable box from your service provider will send analog or whatever is needed to your current TV.

If you spawned a few offspring during your earlier days, maybe one of your children will give you a new TV.

Meanwhile, there will be lots and lots of movies and programming available for people without Hi-Def and Congress has done nothing to force the Hi-Def issue nor has it got anything to do with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

I think it is unfortunate that there is so much confusion. I would posit that the Television MANUFACTURERS are to blame because they are HYPING High Definition and not making it clear that DIGITAL TV is a separate issue.

Not completely separate, because:

ALL HI-DEF IS DIGITAL
but
DIGITAL IS NOT HI-DEF

You can buy a regular TV format (4:3) DIGITAL TV.
You can buy a widescreen TV format (16:9) DIGITAL TV.
Or, you can buy a widescreen Hi-Def TV (which will be DIGITAL).

Notice there are three kinds of DIGITAL TV and only ONE of them is Hi-Def. (I don't think you can buy 4:3 format in Hi-Def as it would be pointless for anyone to make such a thing. I could be wrong about that.)

Collapse -
Outstanding explanation!!
by jtede1918 / May 24, 2007 10:33 PM PDT

That was a great explanation...and I found it humorous for some reason. I totally agree with you. I have a 42" LG LCD flat screen that does it "all", including DVR if I want to. Did I pay a lot? No doubt, but I will most likely not purchase another TV in my lifetime. I'm 44.

Collapse -
Waiting for Wal*Mart
by Nudist / May 23, 2007 2:10 PM PDT

Wal*Mart, not the technical superiority of one mode over the other, nor the studio support will determine the "winning" format. It will be whichever format that Wal*Mart floods the market with this Christmas. My money would be on a low-cost (around $100) HD-DVD player to appear in Wal*Mart shelves this October.

Collapse -
I concur!!
by wiseman55 / May 23, 2007 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Waiting for Wal*Mart

Bets are Wally World will have HD DVD players this coming fall then I can buy another one for my daughter's bedroom! We have HDTV via satellite in all the main rooms in the house, bedrooms, livingroom etc! We arn't wealthy but the price is worth the quality!!

Collapse -
I'll wait
by joethebear / May 23, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

I just bought a 42 inch flat screen TV new a few years ago. I love technology but I am a bit tired of the pressure to buy, buy, buy. Yes, it's my choice I know. I've seen high def on my friend's TVs and it is very cool, but I'll wait a few years and see who wins the media wars and get a high def DVD or whatever is the flavour of the day, along with a high def TV when the prices come right down to their equalibrium. I just have a lot more I "need" to buy right now. It's all I can do to keep up with the computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.