Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

Are YOU cancelling Thanksgiving this year?

by JP Bill / November 20, 2012 / 12:36 PM UTC
Turkey, pie and politics? T-Day family friction

Ah, Thanksgiving. A little turkey, some cranberry mold, maybe apple pie with ice cream, some football on TV. Getting together with the cousins. Catching up beside the fire. Togetherness.

On second thought: Scratch that. What were we thinking? This was an election year.

"The Thanksgiving table will be a battleground," says Andrew Marshall, 34, of Quincy, Mass.

Like many extended families across the country, Marshall's includes Democrats and Republicans, conservatives, liberals and independents. And so, like many families that count both red and blue voters in their ranks, they're expecting fireworks. Things had already gotten so bad on Facebook, the family had to ban political banter
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are YOU cancelling Thanksgiving this year?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are YOU cancelling Thanksgiving this year?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We're NOT cancelling a family Thanksgiving due to politics.
by Paul C / November 21, 2012 / 12:32 AM UTC

It's not happening because this year, everyone in the family will be scattered and unable to get together. I may even miss having my usual spirited debate with my ultra-liberal sister-in-law and my equally leftist niece and nephew. Wink

Since the Lady Samia and I are alone, we decided to instead have Thanksgiving dinner with about 350 or so of our close friends that we've yet to meet. Consequently, 7AM tomorrow will find us at our church baking some 50 hams and God only knows how many rolls. When finished there, we'll scoot over to the Johnson County, IN Fairgrounds, where we'll help set up and serve the county's annual Community Thanksgiving Dinner for those who are really in need of some help.

Giving thanks for the much that we do have by helping those who have very little seems to us to be more in keeping with the spirit of the day anyway.

So, Bill, what will YOU do?

Collapse -
So, Bill, what will YOU do?
by JP Bill / November 21, 2012 / 3:28 AM UTC

What will I do?

Watch Macy's Parade on TV, Watch news stories about traffic jams, people being trampled on Black Friday, probably hear a few stories about family feuds and few stories of generosity. Probably go for a walk, I haven't decided what to have for supper yet.

MY Thanksgiving is now just a fond memory. No traffic jams up my way on Thanksgiving.

Collapse -
(NT) Isn't Macy's parade the day before?
by James Denison / November 21, 2012 / 6:59 PM UTC
Collapse -
(NT) No..It's the day "of"
by JP Bill / November 21, 2012 / 7:13 PM UTC
Collapse -
That's part of the fun, isn't it?
by Steven Haninger / November 21, 2012 / 4:43 AM UTC

Politics is both a participant and a spectator sport. Sometimes you want to play and sometimes you just watch the silliness.

Collapse -
NO...
by Willy / November 21, 2012 / 8:33 AM UTC

How is politics any different, from, "are you pregnant?, what happened to the house?, How is you kid doing in the military?, have you gotten a job, yet? or how are you doing?", become just as difficult to answer or impassioned. Family is a family and I know there are juicy times to discuss anything, plus Ohio Sate vs.UofM, real blue(maize) vs red(OK, scarlet&grey). is too hot to handle, which is why the sofa is a sectional. Pass the &%$!@85(!! mashed potatoes you traitor of Ohio.

I should have been an Aggie. ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Just remember, Willy:
by Paul C / November 22, 2012 / 2:00 AM UTC
In reply to: NO...

If you know your history as pertains to the Michigan - Ohio rivalry, which started with a "war" fought over Toledo (?), you can always remind those Godless Buckeyes that while they got their lousy port, you got the valuable resources of the Upper Peninsula.

That was a better deal, wasn't it? Devil

Collapse -
The "UP"?
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2012 / 2:55 AM UTC
In reply to: Just remember, Willy:

Isn't that the part of Mich. where people ride snowmobiles and talk funny?

Collapse -
And, before the "white man" arrived,
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2012 / 3:00 AM UTC
In reply to: Just remember, Willy:

Ohio had the flint and Michigan had blueberries. Which do you think made better arrow tips? Devil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon