Computer Help forum

General discussion

Are there computers without internal modems?

by raman125 / July 21, 2013 4:24 AM PDT

Hi, I am actually interested in a simple machine in which I can do microsoft office, and store files in a separate usb if needed. I do not need/want internet.

I am wondering if there are any such computers still sold, in which I can do microsoft office and similar personal work, but which does not have internet options or internal modems. Thanks.

Raman

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are there computers without internal modems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are there computers without internal modems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most PCs have modems, NICs, or WiFi
by wpgwpg / July 21, 2013 4:46 AM PDT

I don't recall seeing a computer in recent years that didn't have either a dial modem, NIC connector for a network cable, or WiFi. However, if you buy a computer with one or more of these, it's very easy to disable them via Device Manager.

Collapse -
Not really
by Jimmy Greystone / July 21, 2013 6:02 AM PDT

Not really, since you're in a very small minority. However, just because they exist doesn't mean you have to use them and it would likely make the unit cost more to try and find one without those options rather than cheaper. Just one one of the counter-intuitive things about mass production.

Collapse -
I thought if you are using MS_OS,
by Oldartq / July 21, 2013 6:47 AM PDT

you have to activate the thing. Even if you could save 50 cents when they produce the computer but I bet there will be lot more people complaining not having built-in LAN but I am not sure if computer have built-in modem though.

Collapse -
Not if
by Jimmy Greystone / July 21, 2013 10:59 AM PDT

Not if you buy a brand name system. The OS will come activated and activate automatically if it's installed on hardware from that vendor. Also, unless MS nixed the phone option, you can call in and get an activation number if you're that determined to keep offline.

Collapse -
thanks for the replies
by raman125 / July 21, 2013 12:53 PM PDT

Thanks to all for the replies. In conclusion, there are no computer-like machines that simply would replace the old type-writer, with an microsoft office like capability: one has to be part of the internet world. One of my background reasons was also in part reflecting on the recent (lack of) privacy issues, to see if we can do our work with a sense of absolute security from any possibility of external monitoring. I know that people elsewhere (like computer technicians) can literally see my screen if I give them permission, so there is the question to what extent hackers-high-up in authority ladder can achieve such in our computers even without such permission or my typing in an access code. So I thought the best bet is to have a machine without any such internet capability.

Would I be correct that disabling the internet modem in the computer using devise manager will guarantee this? (I presume we can re-enable the feature as and when we like.)

Thanks.

Raman

Collapse -
Just because it has a modem or
by glb613 / July 21, 2013 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the replies

built-in Wifi doesn't mean you have to get online. You can disable both in the device manager

Collapse -
Just don't plug it into the internet connection
by volvogirl / July 22, 2013 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the replies

Don't plug an ethernet cable from it into a modem or router. If it has a wireless card you can disable it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.