TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Are there any current TVs that include a PIP feature?

by super_curry_max / February 19, 2013 10:00 PM PST

I want a tv that I can play games on but also watch tv at the same time, mostly for sports. Or watching one channel one screen and something else on the other. I purchased a Sony Bravia yesterday because it listed PIP in the features but for that PIP you have to have a PC connected to the TV and can only be used to browse the internet while watching TV simultaneously, which is asinine.

PLEASE HELP!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are there any current TVs that include a PIP feature?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are there any current TVs that include a PIP feature?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Define PIP!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 12:43 AM PST

All the PIP's so far only show when there is an antenna connection or "OTA". So for now, unless you pay BIG LARGE BILLS for a video processor, PIP is what it is.

To do the PIP as we see folk ask for is going to cost.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Expensive option
by mjd420nova / February 21, 2013 2:54 AM PST

PIP is an expensive option as it requires two tuners and that really raises the price. An optional PC input to a PIP window would work while streaming or even another tuner option in the PC.

Collapse -
That's for OTA or antenna options. True but I have a bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Expensive option
Collapse -
yeah 2 input PIP
by super_curry_max / February 21, 2013 10:32 PM PST

Yeah We wanted to be able to have the kids watch their cartoons in the mornings while I have a video game or some other channel, say sports, going on in another window.

I was doing this stuff in 1992. its crazy its so difficult to do it now.

Collapse -
As useful as it sounds to have PIP...
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: yeah 2 input PIP

...believe it or not the demand was never particularly huge (as a percentage of market share) for this feature, and it has gone down ever since.

Also, factor in the availability of relatively decent quality but inexpensive LCD displays/tablet devices that can display much of the cable/sat content makes it easy to see why demand is so low of late for PIP.

Collapse -
I omitted models I found that had such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: yeah 2 input PIP

Why? Because they are not available at the usual Best Buy, Stuckey's, Fry's, Amazon or Zapp's. You can find it with a google and it looks like the numbers were not high enough to get them into the stores.

But there are such things.

Yes, you had this years ago but that was with SD video. Whole new ballgame.
Bob

Collapse -
I still don't think they handle what the OP needs
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 12:46 AM PST

OTA, or perhaps one other analog source is about it AFAIK. But it would be nice to see what you are seeing ;)>.

cheers

Collapse -
I omitted it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 12:51 AM PST

The search for dual hdmi pip does find them. But as I noted I omitted the results on purpose and told why.

Try google. It's something new.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: I omitted it.
Collapse -
You are preaching to the choir ;)
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: I omitted it.

I simply wasn't aware of any w/ dual HDMI, hence me not searching for it as a parameter.

The reason why those won't be sold in the U.S. is still twofold. No demand, and the 24-27" size is too small for our mega-suburban sized tastes. The Euro crowd buys the more compact washer/dryer sets, we still buy super-sized overall.

cheers

Collapse -
(NT) Nod!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 3:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
PIP is still available under certain conditions
by guardian1935 / February 22, 2013 1:42 PM PST

With Samsung tvs, since 2005, they are made with just one tuner instead of the two of previous years. However, PIP is still available to you if you have the tv hooked up to a cable box or satellite box. I am not sure if you can watch one channel while playing a game, however. I know you can watch two different channels. Since Samsung has this capability, I'm sure all other major brands do, also. Before puchasing a new tv, check with the manufacturer's website to be sure it has the same capability at the Samsung. Just a personal comment, we checked with a couple of local tv repair places and asked which tv brand was the most reliable to get and they both said Samsung. They also added that Vizios were the worst, Keep in mind that everything electronic/technical changes over time, so REcheck this for yourself. We love our Samsungs (2), and have never had the slightest problem and get a great picture on both, and not just on HD channels. Even so, if we were to buy new ones, my husband and I would do our research all over again.

Collapse -
Let me be more blunt
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2013 2:26 PM PST

You are essentially parroting what your repair guy has told you vs knowing the situation based on extensive experience working with multiple types/brands of electronics over a period of two decades. Your fourth sentence above, "Since Samsung has this capability, I'm sure all other major brands do, also" leads me to believe your personal information is somewhat out of date, as this is simply not the case currently with newer HDTVs. Even with cable boxes, most of the major cable companies have removed the PIP feature from the box firmware/software.
Dual tuner is obviously not the same as PIP. And whether or not Samsung has better PQ than Vizio (or even build quality for that matter) isn't even relevant to this discussion since the OP is inquiring about a specific feature, or namely lack therof.

Collapse -
Answer
HDMI is a problem for PIP
by Flatworm / February 22, 2013 9:37 PM PST

Because HDMI has the capability to control various functions like power, while TVs are getting their input via HDMI there can be only a single source device. Some cable boxes, however, have PIP and also have additional inputs for things like games, although I do not know whether or not the PIP feature can be used for the various inputs. I'd LOVE to have one of those, but my provider (Verizon FiOS) doesn't offer it, although the remote has a button for PIP that just sits there inert, teasing me.

My Sony Bravia XBR (an older model) allows PIP from various inputs, however, and can display input from, say, an antenna in one window and from an A/V input in another. But one of the pictures cannot be received via HDMI.

Collapse -
Re; HDMI a problem for PIP
by guardian1935 / February 23, 2013 12:27 AM PST

Our Samsung uses HDMI and we have PIP capability, although very seldom use it. It is our cable box that enables use of the PIP. An observation for Pepe: I'm not sure why you adopted such a defensive stance,as if someone had challenged your knowledge. I think people here are simpy sharing their personal experience, and what information they have gleaned from other sources. It could be said of yourself that you are 'parroting' what you hav learned from others somewhere along the way. Most people are not innovators and producers of new information in the world. You 'attacked' me as not personally having the "...extensive experience working with multiple types/brands of electronics over a period of two decades"....but you are failing to comprehend that the repairman I spoke with has over thirty years experience, so it is HE who is making the observations and I am merely the conduit to share that information, which is what forums are for. You sound like you are a young person with an ego that is easily bruised and needs to be fed regularly. The anonimity of the internet should not be an invitation for you to turn a very innocuous conversation into a mean-spirited confrontation. This is why civility has almost gone the way of the dinosaur in our present society. Very sad, and very detrimental to society's viability.

Collapse -
Do yourself a favor
by Pepe7 / February 23, 2013 2:13 PM PST

At least brush up on PIP in the context of this discussion, especially how it relates to all the equipment permutations involved and real world limitations as such.

I'm sure your repair guy knows a thing or two. But you are missing the boat in this particular discussion. And perhaps it's more akin to the pot calling the kettle black when you feel some strange need to make an assumption about someone's age because of comments that call you out. [why would it matter in any case(?)] Judging by one of your prior posts in these forums, with 14 grandchildren/8 great grandchildren, you must be somewhere between 60-75 yrs old(?) One of them can sit down with you perhaps and explain what you missed here.

Collapse -
Exactly
by Pepe7 / February 23, 2013 1:58 PM PST

We can probably count on two or three fingers which cable boxes can still do PIP. And those are legacy boxes right now, unfortunately.

Regarding HDMI, it's a similar situation to most of the current crop of AV receivers, even the higher end ones. Most of them can't send a digital input of any kind to zone 2. Really pathetic, considering how many more digital devices we are all trying to plug into these pricey centerpieces of our current HT systems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.