Android

Question

Are task killers needed

by garfoon / August 14, 2011 12:30 AM PDT

I was told by Sprint that I need to have Advanced Task Killer (or one of the many task killers) installed on my phone to keep as much free memory available as possible. I have read conflicting stores on if this is truly necessary. Do I need a task killer?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are task killers needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are task killers needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did your phone receive a GingerBread update? (OSv2.3+)
by sc00basteve / August 21, 2011 5:20 AM PDT

Most of the users and Developers that I chat with over at forum.xda-developers.com agree that the GingerBread version of Android handles memory WAY better than Froyo (2.2).
Although, one of the main reasons that I run a custom/developer version of Android for my EVO4G is that they remove all the bloatware Sprint apps that come preinstalled and have a habit of just sitting in cached memory waiting to be used :-/

If I ran a stock version provided by Sprint I'd be tempted to run some sort of task killer on any of their AndroidOS's (fyi, in the dev community these are refered to as ROM's because they have to be written to Read Only Memory).

There are threads at the top (sticky's) with great info but here is what I run cause it's stable, pretty, and I get ALL DAY out of my battery!:
[ROM] - [MikRoms]- [8/9/2011]- MikG v2.45- Re-EngineeredGBSense2.1+ 3.0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1038967

Collapse -
by garfoon / August 21, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

I just got a EVO 4g and it is running 2.3.3 and I'm nervous about rooting it (I see that it is now able to be rooted). If someone comes up with the one-step root like unrevoked for 2.3.3 I might try it.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by sc00basteve / August 23, 2011 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: 2.3.3

Totally understandable.
Maybe you could just let AdvTaskKiller only kill the apps that you never use: ie.I'm assuming Nova & Blockbuster are still installed.

Collapse -
YUP
by garfoon / August 24, 2011 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

I can't get rid of any bloatware until I root the device.

Collapse -
Are task killers needed
by SallyBlack / August 23, 2011 8:33 PM PDT

of course, you need! Cool

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are task killers needed
by SallyBlack / August 23, 2011 8:32 PM PDT

yes, you need.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Mixed results.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2011 12:34 AM PDT

The jury is hung on this one. Even I have seen it help get more battery time and other times it results in lower battery times. Beware the fan of such things as their view may be that of just their or one other phone.

Since you can uninstall it if it does nothing, why not. At least I haven't seen them do anything bad.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I vote no
by Sovereign Forum moderator / August 16, 2011 4:43 AM PDT

they are not needed Happy

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) I vote no as well
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 10:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
To stop mobile form shut down
by alisagarner / August 26, 2011 7:17 PM PDT
In reply to: I vote no as well

A member from customer care told me to install task killer to stop it from shutting down, because my phone used to shut down any time without any reason.

Collapse -
Answer
I vote 'maybe'
by make_or_break / August 28, 2011 12:18 AM PDT

I installed ATK on my phone (2.2) but aside from telling me right away what % my battery level is at I rarely use it for anything else. I've tried a number of them that are available in the Android Market but quite a few don't seem to work well in Froyo...or at least in Froyo as how Verizon and/or Samsung has implemented it on my Droid Charge. The task killer that came with the phone seems to do a better (well, at least a more consistent) job of closing up apps. But often this basic task killer/memory manager doesn't seem to do a very good job of cleaning freed up memory.

So that's why I say 'maybe'. If and when Verizon pushes 2.3 to my phone I may feel differently.

Collapse -
Answer
Only if you like banging your head into a brick wall
by Watch_This / August 28, 2011 5:54 PM PDT

As a few people might say, rooting your phone is pretty much the best way to get the most out of your memory/battery. Advanced Task Killer and similar apps will certainly make you believe that you are saving your battery, but in truth the next time you turn around those silly proprietary apps will be running again. Kill them as many times as you like, and still they come back. Uninstall them? Option not available on a factory phone. Its a good idea but practical application of the app killer on unrooted OS is pretty much worthless in most cases.

Collapse -
Answer
Task killers
by Vzwbest1 / April 18, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

No, absolutely not. If you need better battery life, use stock power controls and keep on your home screen.

Collapse -
Answer
Are task killers needed?
by geoofhk / April 29, 2012 9:12 PM PDT

Its not vital, but quite useful.
sometimes, you just need to kill a running app, particularly a bad written app.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove advertising link which has nothing to do with the topic at hand on 04/30/2012 at 9:24 AM PT

Collapse -
Answer
Are task killers needed
by someone3974 / May 20, 2012 8:00 PM PDT

Yeah, it is needed!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.