Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Are Spybot,Spywareblaster&Spywareguard redundant with Avast?

by sonicroj / January 25, 2009 7:37 PM PST

Subj: Are Spybot, Spywareblaster & Spywareguard redundant with Avast?

I've installed Avast Home Edition which the CNet site says has "certified anti-spyware".
1. Does this mean that I don't need to install Spybot, Spywareblaster & Spywareguard ?
I am using an old slow computer (Pentium 3 996MHz 512MB RAM) and I want to have the minimum amount of programs slowing it down further.

2. If there ARE REDUNDANT, is Ad-Aware also redundant with Avast ?
3. If there ARE REDUNDANT for Avast, are they also redundant for AVG etc. ?

4. However, if they are STILL NEEDED, can I just update them monthly as manually updating them weekly takes ages! ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are Spybot,Spywareblaster&Spywareguard redundant with Avast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are Spybot,Spywareblaster&Spywareguard redundant with Avast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No

No, you will be fine when you install Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard with Avast as your antivirus/antispyware protection.

It's actually good to have them installed. To allow what another tool failed to detect/prevent.

It's recommended to update regularly but if you can only update monthly due to slow connection, try to get the updates...manually:

Spybot S&D detection updates at http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html or just go to http://www.spybotupdates.biz/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe to get the spybotsd_includes.exe (note: this is detection updates only. Not program updates/fixes)

Database for SpywareBlaster can be downloaded manually, if updating using application is giving you issue. Check the post of Javacool for the download links of the database in his official forum:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266 (scroll down til you find "SpywareBlaser tips">(1) "I would like to perform manual updates - is there a way I can do so?")

Database for SpywareGuard can be download manually also. Please see the post of Javacool at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25749

Ad-aware database can be downloaded also manually by getting it from http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/

Note: It is better to always get the updates using the program in your convenient time but do it whenever you are online and if the updates is available.

Collapse -
Enable TeaTimer & SpywareGuard residents?
by sonicroj / January 25, 2009 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: No

Thanks Donna, your response was most informative.

Another question for you or anyone :-
5. Is it worth enabling the TeaTimer & SpywareGuard residents or will this be too slow?

Collapse -
You're welcome. I personally do not
by Donna Buenaventura / January 25, 2009 10:45 PM PST

enable TeaTimer anymore. I suggest to use only the immunization and enable the Resident SDhelper (to help protect the browser from bad stuff).

I suugest also to let SpywareGuard do its thing.
Both should not slow down anything because it works in the background and will only alert you when something triggers it.

Collapse -
How often should I update my spyware programs and databases?
by sonicroj / January 26, 2009 5:40 PM PST

Thanks again Donna.

6. How often should I update my spyware programs and databases?
(I'm thinking of scanning using a different recommended spyware/malware program each day [especially if I can automate it using Windows Task Scheduler] and I might include the time overhead of manually updating the databases at that point but, after your, or anyone's advice, may decide to do all the program updating monthly and database updating weekly on a Saturday.)
- I'm assuming the updating of free malware programs is manual - paid ones I assume or automatic - if so, I might pay the premium for automatic updates if that's possible?

God bless you,
SonicRoj
:-}

Collapse -
To be safe....

you should update your database as often as you can. There are many # of new infection every day plus variants of older. It's recommended to update whenever a user can but if the connection is an issue, then scheduling a way to go Happy

Program updates is good to have also whenever a user can and only if;
1. You are affected by known issues that the program update fixes
2. You want new version soon
3. You want to take advantage of new features or options included in the program update, if any.
4. Better support if program is updated also (most vendors will request the user to ensure that the program is up-to-date to allow them solve issues, if any, with the currently supported version)

Note: Program updates is often offered to user whenever you check for new database updates. There is some programs that will allow you to not to get the program updates soon while others require you to get the program update first.

If you plan on scanning different recommended antispyware/antimalware programs, I'd like to suggest to add the following:
1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
2. SUPERAntispyware - http://www.superantispyware.com

The updates for the above programs is frequent and small in size.
There are other anti-malware programs that is recommended but it is providing large database for users e.g. A2 Free

Sure you can subscribe to enjoy automatic update but note that it is not necessary. It will help the vendors to continue to provide free edition of their products Happy

You're welcome SonicRoj and thanks!

Collapse -
Can I disable the Ad-Aware tray appn (AAWTray.exe)?
by sonicroj / January 26, 2009 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: To be safe....

Can I disable the Ad-Aware tray appn (AAWTray.exe)?
- The pop-up from my trusty WinPatrol (also affectionately known as Scotty) program is asking me if I should allow the Ad-Aware tray appn (AAWTray.exe) to be added to my Startup programs - and hence my resident appn tray. Will it slow my computer down or should I disable it?

Thanks for everything,
SonicRoj
PS : I love my Scotty dog (officially known as WinPatrol)

Collapse -
Is Ad-Watch worth running?
by sonicroj / January 26, 2009 11:57 PM PST

And while I'm at it, Is Ad-Watch worth running or will it slow my system?

Collapse -
I'm running latest version: Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition 8.0
by sonicroj / January 27, 2009 12:05 AM PST

Note : I'm running latest version: Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition 8.0

Collapse -
And, Is spysweeper any good?
by sonicroj / January 27, 2009 12:16 AM PST

Question 99!! - And, Is spysweeper any good?

Collapse -
Not recommeding Spy Sweeper by Webroot
by Donna Buenaventura / January 27, 2009 12:40 AM PST

Ask has questionable reputation and for antispyware company to partner with questionable product.. is simply odd.

Collapse -
You'll free up resources if you will disable it
by Donna Buenaventura / January 27, 2009 12:35 AM PST

You will lose only what it can protect/monitor if you will disable it (this applies only if you are using paid edition).

It should not slow your system but if you have free edition of Ad-aware, just disable ad-watch as it is no use.

Collapse -
Do you have the paid edition of Ad-Aware?
by Donna Buenaventura / January 27, 2009 12:32 AM PST

If you have the free edition, you do not need to allow AAWTray.exe running during startup of Windows.

If you have the paid edition and want the features of the paid edition to run, you may need to keep AAWTray.exe running and loading except you prefer it disabled and stop the tasks of the paid edition.

I love Scotty too Happy

Collapse -
Thank U so much - that's it - for now!
by sonicroj / January 27, 2009 12:43 AM PST

Thank U so much - that's it - for now!

I am getting to be quite a security expert now with your help. I will pass on this knowledge to others - the leader at our youth project already wants me to fix her PC - I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks again.
Scotty rules! Woof! Woof!
CHRloveIST,
SonicRoj

Collapse -
You're welcome! Please add...
by Donna Buenaventura / January 27, 2009 12:48 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.