Camcorders

General discussion

Are internal hard drives worth the money (M300 vs. M30, 31)?

by stark1728 / June 3, 2010 12:36 PM PDT

I'm looking for an HD camcorder and am trying to decide whether it's worth the extra $30-60 (depending on seller) to go from the flash drive only Canon Vixia HF M300 to the Canon Vixia HF M30 with 8 gb or go further spending an additional $130-170 for the M31 with 32 gb. This will be my first camcorder so I have no clue as to the value of the hard drive issue. Thoughts?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are internal hard drives worth the money (M300 vs. M30, 31)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are internal hard drives worth the money (M300 vs. M30, 31)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Confusion

I'm a bit confused. The devices you mention are dual-flash type devices: one built-in and a slot for adding another media card (SD). They are not hard-drive based as your question states.

If you think they are hard drive hybrids you might wish to go back and re-look at the specifications of these units.

However, all that aside, my personal opinion has been to avoid units with built-in recording media. I only recommend this route because if anything goes awry with the built-in media it means a trip to the manufacturer for repair, which could be expensive outside of warranty. If you stick with a device that only accepts your media card(s) and your card goes bad then your only out the cost of a new card.

I suppose the up-side to having built in memory would be that you don't have to worry about remembering to insert your memory card and that way you don't get caught without recording memory in a pinch.

Collapse -
Flash memory

I've got the Canon Vixia HF11. It has 32 GB built in and accepts SDHC cards. I had the same questions you do. IIRC, the price difference between the HF11 and the very similar model without any internal flash memory was only about $100, so it seemed worth it to me.

In your case, you may want to save some money by get the HF M30 with 8 GB built in, and then buy SDHC cards later.

That said, it is nice to not have to deal with the memory cards. 32 GB is enough for most people, most of the time -- even at the highest quality setting.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.