Laptops forum

General discussion

Are gateway laptops good? Why is the MT6821 only $950?

by spacemonkey27 / January 30, 2007 10:59 AM PST

Why is this laptop with vista and 2gb ram so cheap this week at circuitcity and bestbuy? Am I missing something?
Are gateway laptops junk?

Intel Core 2 Duo T5200
? 160GB hard drive
? Burns DVDs and CDs ? 2GB of DDR2 memory
? Built-in 802.11agb wireless
? Windows Vista Home Premium

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are gateway laptops good? Why is the MT6821 only $950?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are gateway laptops good? Why is the MT6821 only $950?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Alegoo92 / January 30, 2007 11:02 AM PST

Gateways are essentially Dell quality, not quite up to HP. My old Dell died after 1 1/2 years when the motherboard crashed. (then again, this was a year ago before I switched to macs).

Either way, Gateways are good for basic to above-basic level usage, but like most budget computers, they do not handle intense usage well and do not have a very long lifespan.

2 GB of RAM though? Good deal.

Collapse -
Do you plan on gaming with it....
by steve749 / January 31, 2007 12:35 AM PST

Did you note that the graphics are integrated and limited to 224 MB of shared memory with the system?

Also that processor has a clock speed of 1.6 GHz making it the lowest speed of a Core 2 Duo(Merom).

Collapse -
Not for gaming
by spacemonkey27 / January 31, 2007 1:41 AM PST

I am not planning on using this machine for gaming. I also noticed that circuitcity is selling the Gateway 14.1" Widescreen Notebook PC (MT3705) for $599

This a dual core pentium machine (with 1gb ram) which is a fairly slow cpu compared to duo core right?

Do you think the MT 3705 would have a hard time dealing with Vista and any Vista Service packs that might come out in the future?

Collapse -
by steve749 / January 31, 2007 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Not for gaming

The T2050 processor is the lowest of the Core Duo processors and will be a little worse than a Core 2 Duo though not in a big way as I recall. "Core 2 Duo vs. Core Duo" from has more details if you want to read more about that.

I suspect the MT3705 may run into issues if Vista's requirements increase over time as the graphics will take from the system RAM so while the machine has 1 GB it will see only 3/4ths of a gig since the rest is taken for the graphics as part of Vista is that Aero interface which has somewhat high requirements I believe. You may have seen various articles noting that in getting a Vista machine one look for 2 GB of RAM rather than the recommended minimum of 1 GB.

Collapse -
by cash4college / February 3, 2007 12:42 AM PST

Hey, to the guy that was considering buying one!

I just got one the other day. As soon as I got it home, I installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Spy Sweeper, and Window Washer. Now, at idle, my computer is using about 650mb of ram, and 0-2% of the CPU. Everything opens extremely quickly, even when I have both Kaspersky AND Spy Sweeper, scanning at the same time, I can open iTunes, and multiple internet addresses. I believe that this computer is a phenomenal deal, and you would be hard pressed to find these specs anywhere else close to this price. If you have any questions that you would like answered, please email

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.