TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

are extended warranties worth the $$ for plasma TV?

by jayolson / June 14, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

have selected 50" plasma Samsung rated well here at cnet.

are these warranties needed? up to 4 years it looks like

thanks for advice

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: are extended warranties worth the $$ for plasma TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: are extended warranties worth the $$ for plasma TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Factory warranties are much more valuable than 3 party ones.
by NM_Bill / June 14, 2007 1:47 PM PDT

I would take a look for the price of extended being reasonable. The general take on extended warranties I follow the lead of Consumers Reports. Their repair stats show the rate of repair being needed in the 1st year is very low for plasma & LCD. The rear projection sets have a considerably higher rate of repair needed. After all, it's a judgment of relative risk. So, rear projection - you betcha I'd shop with a good extended warranty as part of the deal. For me, I'd skip it for plasma & LCD.

Collapse -
Extended warranties...worth it?
by arizcale / June 15, 2007 1:20 AM PDT

Extended warranties are like insurance policies. The companies would not offer them if they did not, overall and in the long-run, make money. The reason why you should consider an extended warranty is similar to the same reason you have insurance for your home: just in case. If something does go wrong, you will have not have to pay the full price for repair. The likelihood, though, is that nothing will go wrong.

If you think you can afford the most expensive type of repair (i.e. full replacement), then you may want to avoid extended warranties. If you would rather pay a lesser amount up front and have the "peace of mind" that you will not have to pay any more, then go with the warranty.

I bet that the companies have though very hard about what to charge for each different type of product, so I think the philosophy is the same no matter what you buy.

Ultimately it is a personal decision based on your aversion to risk.

I hope that helps.

- Cale

Collapse -
As someone
by woodygg / June 15, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

who provides the warranty analysis and cost information for our companies products (high tech) - I have yet to ever purchase a warranty... they make a ton of money on them.

Of course, anything can go wrong...

However, most likely, if it will go wrong, it will do so very quickly while it's under warranty.

Collapse -
Extended warranties depend....
by GinoShea / June 15, 2007 7:28 AM PDT

On part where you buy them. For instance, Tweeter filed for bankruptcy re-organization just a few days ago. I was originally going to buy a plasma and the extended warranty from Tweeter but when I heard they were on the ropes, I went to BB. I know Tweeter gets their extended warranties via a third party, but that still made me nervous.

BB extended warranties are cheaper then CC. There are also a few places you can find on-line that sell extended warranties. How reputable those are, I do not know.

In addition, you can buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer if you buy the set from an authorized dealer. Sony's extended warranties are actually pretty reasonable. Sony doesn't make plasmas though.

As others noted, it's up to your peace of mind. I just dropped $2,000 on a Sony SXRD rear projection set. BB's extended warranty ($349) for three years covers one bulb replacement ($250) for my set. I figure an extra $100 just to cover whatever else could go wrong was worth it.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 15, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

PARTICULARLY THOSE MODELS WITH A (mechanical) COLOR-WHEEL. SAMSUNG'S NEW LED models may prove to be very reliable.

THE SCARY thing about SAMSUNG'S new literature; it states "that the picture will last as long as the life of the set"

BEST to all,

Collapse -
Extended Warranty
by smithint29 / June 15, 2007 2:39 PM PDT

I brought a 42" Maxent EDTV(Enhanced Definition Television) from best buy in 2004. The sensor in the Tv went bad they came and fixed it (extended warranty). Recently the same sensor went bad again and the red and black clips that you plug speaker wire into for surround sound broke off, called them again and this time no part number for the sensor or the speaker terminals so I got a new TV 42" Panasonic HDTV again (Extended warranty). My rule if you send 2,000 or more get the warranty because you never know what may happen and don't buy off brand stick with a name brand.

Collapse -
Extended warranty
by bradybill / June 18, 2007 8:08 AM PDT

From your reply to Jayolson's question, you may have some info on a question I posted a couple of days ago but didn't get any USEFUL replies. Here's some background: I'm thinking of buying a Hitachi plasma HDTV. After checking the Hitachi, Circuit City and Best Buy extended warranties, they are ALL backed by subsidiaries of AIG Insurance. A Business Week article claimed that one major retailer charges $390 for an extended warranty, pays its insurance company $160, and pockets the remaining $230. Obviously, it would be nice to buy the extended warranty directly from the insurance company, but the AIG website did not indicate if they sell directly to the public. Are you aware of any companies that do? Thanks

Collapse -
They probably don't
by kcfvegas / June 18, 2007 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Extended warranty

The insurance companies probably don't sell directly to the public because that would cut out the highest profit margin item in every electronics store, and they are not about to loose those stores that sell billions of dollars worth of policies for your one policy. I own a furniture store and I sell the fabric protectant which is the highest profit margin item in my store, and I know that the company I sell will not sell directly to the public. If they did, all the furniture stores that sell their product would drop them for someone else that doesn't.

Collapse -
extended warranties
by Karridog / June 16, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

I bought a one year service contract/extended warranty for my ten year old Dell computer The cost was $200. After that I didn't have one problem with my computer. If you do buy an extended warranty you are actually buying it from a different company 99% of the time. Best Buy (example) gets a cut for selling you the extended warranty. I wouldn't buy an extended warranty for my Sears dehumidifier. It is still going strong after ten years. Personally I wouldn't buy an extended warranty. I'm telling you what I know about them and what my computer friends have told me.

Collapse -
extended warranties
by nitroscott / June 17, 2007 5:54 AM PDT

I think another thing that is important to note is that most TV comes with a manufacturers warranty of about 2 years now. If you use an American Express credit card (others may offer this too check the fine print) and keep the receipts, they will automatically add another year on the to warranty so you're effectively getting a 3 year warranty. So if you actually do go ahead and buy a warranty you're only getting 1 maybe 2 extra years of warranty out of it. In my opinion if it doesn't break in 2-3 years, it'll probably last 5 and the extended warranty isn't worth it.

Collapse -
(NT) I beg to differ. Typical warranty period is ONE year.
by NM_Bill / June 17, 2007 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: extended warranties
Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 17, 2007 8:10 AM PDT

SONY WARRANTEED THE LATE, GREAT KD-34XBR970 for two years parts + labor, and two years on the CRT itself.

PANASONIC offers one year parts + labor, as well as 2 years on its glass PLASMA PANELS.

OKEY, it's not enough to make a blanket statement about warranties in general; but at least it's a start.

Happy Father's Day,

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks. I've been a father for 45 years & enjoy the role.
by NM_Bill / June 17, 2007 8:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 17, 2007 9:22 AM PDT

Collapse -
extended Warranties
by rockyroads / June 17, 2007 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: extended warranties

nitroscott- Thanks for the reminder about AMX extended warranties. I never have had to use it but have use AMX for disputes with companies with whom I have had a problem and the power of AMX was very evident. Rocky

Collapse -
generally NO!
by bob strongstein / June 18, 2007 11:19 PM PDT

Another big profit item for your seller - that and cables generate more profit then the TV - had Panasonic 42" plasma I bought in 2005 - extended warranty they kept mailing/calling me about is now more then the cost of a new 42" plasma - research say that 70% to 80% of what they charge are profit - Why not buy on card that extends/doubles the manufactures warranty.

Take the money you would spend on the warranty and invest it! Sadly most folks who are talked into these things by salespeople who terrify them about what could happen are the folks who can least afford it!

Collapse -
50-50reasonable price what you got to loose? betterbesafesrr
by gus738 / June 21, 2007 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: generally NO!

depending if the price is reasonable (bestbuy) then yes but if is a rape CC then still its worth it because the price that the E.W cost you is like literly a new tv of the same one you have but better why? cuz technology moves on and its getting to a piont where service / labor is more expensive then tv, so you end up getting a newer tv
like the saying "better be safe then sorry" where did you buy the tv?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.