Desktops forum

General discussion

Are desktop PC's by Acer any good? Better than Dell?

by Big Steve / June 26, 2006 9:54 AM PDT

I receive PC World Magazine every month and every month Acer Computers has a slick ad which takes up several pages in each month's issue.

I know nothing about Acer. Are their desktop PC's any good? Better or worse than Dell's desktop PC's? Anyone know where Acer's tech support is located? Do they outsource their tech support overseas like Dell?

Big Steve

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Are desktop PC's by Acer any good? Better than Dell?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Are desktop PC's by Acer any good? Better than Dell?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Scrotes4Life / June 26, 2006 1:46 PM PDT

Acer is a very good system. We have a 2003 Desktop w AMD Athlon and 3/4 Gig. My nephew (who lives with us) beats it to death - has for 2 years - with Limewire and games.
It has been problem free.
We have 3 DELLS as well. A lot of folks knock DELL, but all of ours do well. DELL Models that we own are: 2000 L600r-P3-512; 2005 B110 - 1 Gig; 2006 E 310 P4 - 2 Gigs.
The trick to keeping any PC going is keeping it clean and not downloading a bunch of crap. Always make sure you have quality Antivirus. Viruses are your biggest threat - say goodbye to a hard drive if you get one of those.

Collapse -
Re: Are desktop PC's by Acer good? Better than Dell?
by Big Steve / June 26, 2006 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: ACER IS VERY GOOD

So you own both Acer as well as Dell PC's. My brother had 2 new Dell computers installed in our father's home soon after his death. I lived with our father in this home here in Mississippi for more than 43 years and continue to live here. My brother lives in Texas.

He had a Dell Dimension 3100 desktop PC installed in a back bedroom; DSL is now in the house replacing my old Bell South dial-up. A Lynksys router was also installed in the bedroom so I could use the second computer; a Dell Inspiron 1300 notebook wirelessly throughout the house.

I've turned the desktop on maybe twice since it was installed here in the house but I'm really enjoying using the Dell notebook throughout the house and the best part of this deal is that both computers belong to my brother; if something happens to them; they're his problem; not mine.

Now I need to purchase a new desktop PC for myself for my own personal use to replace my old Windows 95 system which I would transfer files from to a new desktop PC. Both of the new Dell computers have been in the house for about 3 months; both computers were purchased from Dell's Small Business division.

Personally I am reluctant to buy a new desktop PC from Dell based upon what I've heard as well as read about their company's tech support and customer service. I had my sights set on purchasing a new desktop PC from Velocity Micro several months ago but I'll have to admit; the model that I want is out of my price range.

I just need a basic desktop to do some word processing; email; web surfing and some Quicken. I'm not into digital photography just yet but plan to buy a digital camera soon to replace my old Minolta 35mm camera. I have noticed the Acer PC brand being advertised in my PC World every month.

If you had to choose between a Dell or an Acer; which would you choose based upon my computer needs? Do you happen to know where Acer's tech support is located? Is it US based or overseas like Dell? Can you custom order a PC from Acer or do you have to buy a pre-built unit from one of their authorized resellers? If you do recommend Acer; any specific model number I should take a closer look at?

I figure what I would spend for a nice desktop PC from Velocity Micro I could probably buy something less expensive from either Dell or Acer and have money left over to put towards purchasing a notebook for myself in the near future.

I'll have to say since I've started using a notebook for the first time 3 months ago and for it to also be wireless; I'm definitely hooked. I want a notebook for myself. I'm taking a close look at Dell's Inspiron E1505 which I've read many good things about both on this website as well as others.

Big Steve

Collapse -
Re: Acer...
by basesloaded190 / June 26, 2006 3:29 PM PDT

I personally have no experence with Acer desktops, however they do make excellent laptops, so I don't see any reason not to trust them.

The problem with Dell is that most peoples experences with them have come while using dirt cheap boought-in-bulk systems that have been abused from being on public networks. Generally, Dell makes an excellent product.

Collapse -
Re: Are Acer desktops any good? Are they better than Dell?
by Big Steve / June 26, 2006 8:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Acer...

So have you had personal experience with using Acer notebooks? If you have; which one of their current notebook models would you rate close to Dell's Inspiron E1505 notebook? Any of them or none of them?

I'd like something like the notebook I'm using right now which is a Dell Inspiron 1300 but a little jazzier. This machine which I'm using now is rather plain; primarily black but it does have a grey cover.

Big Steve

Collapse -
Re: Acer Laptops

I have a few friends with Acer laptops, and I've never had any compliants from them about their Acers. I'm not familiar enougth with them to recomend you a specific model, but I can tell you that the design is a step up from what Dell does for its laptops.

Collapse -
Is Acer any good?
by rjbach51 / June 26, 2006 3:43 PM PDT

In computing, Acer is a powerhouse. This is a Taiwanese company that at one point was manufacturing pc's for every computer company in America including: Dell, HP, Gateway. Chances are good you've owned a made by Acer pc. You're asking whether they're any good? Acer is danm good!

Collapse -
Re: Is Acer any good?
by Big Steve / June 26, 2006 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Is Acer any good?

Thanks for your post. Care to recommend any specific desktop PC by Acer to consider? Something with Windows XP Home; don't know whether to go with Intel or AMD; an 80 to 120GB HD, 512RAM rather than 256RAM; integrated audio and video would be OK; a 56K modem; also the capability to connect to high speed internet.

Also two optical drive bays if available; a DVD ROM and a CDRW and if it's also still available a floppy drive which probably isn't. I'm not sure as to whether the computer should have media card reader slots or not. Microsoft Works Suite. I plan to purchase AV software which I will install myself. Have I left anything out? Please advise if I have.

Big Steve

Collapse -
Acer recommendation....
by jthompson10 / August 16, 2007 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Is Acer any good?

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire, AST 690. It has 3.0 ghz. processor, 1gb DDR2 memory, 250 gb hard drive, dual DVD burner drive, and came with a 19" flat screen wide monitor. I purchased it from WalMart where my wife is employeed, so it was nice to get the 10% discount as well. I have allmost always used only HP, so I was so scared to try anything else, that it took me forever to finally settle on this one. And let me tell you......"I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS PUPPY"!!!!! With the exception of trying to get use to the Windows Vista Home Premium that came preinstalled, this computer looks fantastic, and just runs like the road runner I use!!!! lol It is really fast!!!! I also purchased the 2 year extended warranty with it, just in case, but with the discount we get for my wife working there, it was payed for by the 10%, and I feel much more secure!!!!!
I would recommend this to anyone else that I know, and that is saying a lot from a hard core Hewlett Packard fan for years now!!!!
Good luck, and happy shopping to find your new computer. And DON'T be afraid to try out the ACER!!! You'll be glad you did. And if not, you can always return it!!!!!!
Good Luck!!

Collapse -
Acer AL 5100 on it's way
by whitew01f / January 4, 2009 7:49 PM PST
In reply to: Is Acer any good?

Thanks Big Steve for the thread, and rjbach51 for responses. I am curious about a specific Acer desktop, the AL5100, since I just ordered one. It is a super slim that looks like it had a short production run to exclusive retailers (Wal-Mart, New Egg). But once those supplies were exhausted, I had to get mine from
Reviews were good at NewEgg. Anyway, I wondered if anyone has dealt with these superslim formats. And I guess I wonder if anyone can divulge what is behind the short production run. Is this something to worry about? I will post with my reactions to performance.

Collapse -
Acer AL 5100 (firewire)
by whitew01f / January 4, 2009 8:00 PM PST

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I primarily got this desktop due to the rear 6-pin Firewire (I hope bus power amps crank?), and ooh, ooh a front panel 4-pin Firewire too. How cool is that for those interested in an Audio/Video/Photo console, which it looked like Big Steve was starting to dig into.

Collapse -
Great gosh!
by Maldgiatos / November 18, 2010 7:33 AM PST

I've been told by several sources that Acer sucks at making computers. Although, they make decent monitors.

Collapse -
by Nerosas / February 16, 2011 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Great gosh!

this is true! We have a 2010 Acer space saver desktop with AMD Athlon and 3/4 gb of RAM and it is fast, but it is the worst thing in the world because it is not very reliable at all. We have had lots of problems with it, and we also have a 2010 DELL Inspiron 1545 and we have had no problems with it at all. Same with my ASUS Eee PC.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.