Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Archos 605 Questions

by kitabata / September 25, 2007 4:35 PM PDT

At long last I need to upgrade my mp3 player. I am currently trying to decide between the Ipod 160GB classic and the Archos 160GB 605. My previous player was a 4th Gen Ipod that I was totally happy with before it pooped out, so I am fairly confident what I can expect coming out of the classic. The $400 Archos 605 however sounds too good to be true though, so I just had to ask about it.

In particular:
1) Does it support unicode? This is very important to me since a vast majority of my mp3s have tags in east asian languages.
2) I read that you had to pay extra for a browser just to use its wi-fi. Ech, is this for real? I can't just install opera or something on it?
3) How's the battery life relative to the ipod classic?
4) Can I get a fm transmitter for it so that I can play it in my car?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Archos 605 Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Archos 605 Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by JonTitor / September 25, 2007 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Archos 605 Questions

1. to my knowledge it does support other languages, but you have to chance the setting, like can't have 2 at once, they might have fixed it in a firmware though
2. you have to pay for the Opera, it's not the regular version for the PC so you can't just download it, but you can use other Wifi functions without buying it.
3. As you might know the Classic's battery life was vastly improved, the 605 has about average battery life for a PVP
4. yes

Collapse -
archos 605
by jcdj.acid / September 28, 2007 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

hello kitabata

i tried to install the web browser, it will work i clicked istall then the archos said please purches the web plug in to open this file.
so.... when you buy the plug in you get a licence you need the licence to use the web browser.

and the screen i left on all the hole time. i wached the patriot then played some music. the battery lasted longer cause i used headphones.
then i wached spiderman 2 and played music after and got 4hours bout36 min. so you save power using the head phones

Collapse -
archos 605
by jcdj.acid / September 25, 2007 11:28 PM PDT

1) yes
2) wifi cost 30 bucks, you might just be able to download it, ill try it right now and post back
3) they say battery dosent last long but i pumped 6 hours out of it, the green light blinks to early, so i leave my 605 on for a little longer
4) yup

i have the archos 605 30gig, it worth it

Collapse -
archos 605
by kitabata / September 26, 2007 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: archos 605

hi jcdj.acid, hope you're able to install it. Got a question about how you tested the battery, did you leave the screen on the entire time? (I'm assuming you could do something like disable the backlight).

Collapse -
Re
by jmackowi / September 26, 2007 4:36 AM PDT

I've also read about the 605 and it seems incredible. I currently have a Creative Zen Sleek and am looking for an alternative, as the player is 2 years old and the battery no longer holds much of a charge. The geniuses at Creative told me that I could spend $160 for a refurbished Sleek. Sure I will. So I am looking outside of the Creative family (the only mp3 players I've ever owned).

1. Does the 605 work with subscription services like Napster?
2. I know you cannot change the battery on the 605. Will Archos do this at a reasonable cost?

Collapse -
batteries
by kitabata / September 26, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

oh, that's a good point. I hadn't even thought about having to replace the battery, but if I can only get 6-8 hours per charge out of it, I might have to replace it faster than I thought. I'm a bit of a heavy user Happy in the car, at the gym, at work...it would definitely be a plus if swapping out batteries is as convenient & painless as possible.

Collapse -
RE
by jmackowi / September 26, 2007 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: batteries

I acutally called Archos (some call me impatient). It does not work with any subscription services...bummer for me. I have a lot of Napster music, and it is fantastic when it comes to discovering new music that I otherwise would not purchase.

As for batteries, replacement batteries are $65 for players not under warranty, which seems reasonable to me.

I may end up purchasing the 605 and also keeping a player specifically for subscription music. Not ideal, but neither is having a player that is constantly low on battery.

Collapse -
RE
by kitabata / September 26, 2007 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

I wouldn't call you impatient at all. Just action-oriented Happy

Yea $65 does sound very reasonable to replace the battery, did they say if that includes shipping charges?

Sorry to hear about the subscription news. Here's hoping you find an mp3 player that does everything you need. Cheers.

Collapse -
shipping
by JonTitor / September 26, 2007 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

shipping probably isn't included
I once broke the screen of an older Archos player I had, and they charged for fixing and shipping back

Collapse -
I'll add some questions to this thread
by DoodPar / September 26, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

I'm thinking of buying the 605 and I have a few questions.
My first question is similar to question number 2 above:
I don?t seem to understand how I get the Opera browser on the 605 is it installed already and I just have to buy a license/serial key to use it? Do I buy it at the same time I buy the 605? Can I buy it afterwards?
I currently have an iRiver PMP-120. When I play music on it takes about 5 seconds to transition between tracks, how long does it take on the 605?
And finally, how is the "pc link" software like? Does Windows recognize it as an external hard drive which you can drag and drop files into?

I'll be glad to read your answers Happy

Collapse -
questions
by JonTitor / September 26, 2007 9:18 AM PDT

ok well for everyone asking about the battery, it's it really that important try getting one of the last gen players, most of them had removable batteries and if you look you might find a good price.

otherwise as it was said you can get the battery replaced on the 605 from Archos or get that extended battery accessory for long trips

about the web browser, Archos has to pay Opera for every license so instead of putting it on every player they make it optional and you got to Archos's store to buy and download it. This makes the base player lower cost.

and yes it can do Mass Storage mode for drag and drop for any OS

Collapse -
Also
by JonTitor / September 26, 2007 2:08 PM PDT

and for those asking about the subscription music, I heard the last gen devices worked with napster or raphsody, so I'm not too sure about that
for anyone interested Amazon is gonna start selling DRM free music to work with anything

other than that Archos has started ACP (archos content portal) with their 5th gen devices but right now it's only CinemaNow in the US
they let you buy or rent movies through the Wifi
once other companies like Circuity City or Best Buy start, they might start offering music direct downloads too

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.