Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

archos 604 wi-fi, questions (games via the internet T......)

by cork2win / September 15, 2006 7:46 AM PDT

hey all I'm either going to get the archos 504 or 604 wifi, but have a few questions about the wi-fi version:

would you be able to go onto a site like http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/ and play the games on there?

is the usb host on the player and can it read files directly from an external hardrive?

can you edit track propreties on the player?

also I've heard a few people say something about being able to watch TV via the internet on it - how would that work?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: archos 604 wi-fi, questions (games via the internet T......)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: archos 604 wi-fi, questions (games via the internet T......)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes it supports IPTV and VOD
by Charbax / September 15, 2006 4:48 PM PDT

If the Opera browser on the 604 Wi-Fi will support Flash then yes all flash games will work. Right now I think only AJAX Javascript has been confirmed to be supported so probably all Web 2.0 online apps will work.

By editing track ID3 info I think it must be doable on the device itself.

USB2-host comes only through the 30$ Docking Station adapter sold as an option. That docking adapter also enables to recharge with a normal adapter, instead of having to recharge only using the usb cable.

IPTV and VOD is planned and announced for this device. I hope it will progressively playback Mpeg4, and so that it will support the Download quality from http://video.google.com and I hope that any other DivX .avi file link found using the browser would be progressively downloaded, meaning played instantly while it also downloads the copy to the devices hard disk drive. Possibly also WMV video streams will be launched from the Opera browser. Anyways I think it is quite certain video on demand services like cinemanow.com and possibly Amazon unbox and any other WMV or DivX VOD site would work. Also video podcasts will be downloaded directly to the device. As it supports DivX, Mpeg2 and H264, it will support all video-blogs.

Collapse -
2 out of 4 answered
by cork2win / September 16, 2006 7:42 PM PDT

ok thanks, so the usb host isin't on the player, but can it read files directly from an external hardrive?
and how woud you watch TV, would you just go onto some site?, and if so what site

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.