Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

Archos 604 help

by AlTheBBFan / June 20, 2007 4:14 AM PDT

I am looking for a PMP that is more than 30GB, can use a photo as a wallpaper, and a great looking screen. I have had the zen vision m, and am basically looking for that, but bigger HDD size and screen size. Is the Archos 604 a good choice in upgrading?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Archos 604 help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Archos 604 help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wait for the 5th Generation Archos
by ktreb / June 20, 2007 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Archos 604 help
Collapse -
Go Archos 605
by cjohnbrown / June 20, 2007 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Archos 604 help

I have had two archos and plan on getting the 605. You can do pictures as Wall Paper. Also the 605 is sheaper than the 604 now. I have also owned the Creative M and purchased and set it up for many people and I think that you would like the archos as a crossover or step up. If size is an issue check out the Archos 404 which is out now or the 405, which should come out with the 605 some time this summer.

Collapse -
i am most definitely looking for a step up
by AlTheBBFan / June 21, 2007 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Go Archos 605

Is there a thrid party dvr adapter that anybody knows of. 99 seems a bit pricey. Other than size, is there a major difference between the 605 and 604.

Collapse -
Not Sure
by cjohnbrown / June 21, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

The DVR price is a hit to the pockets I do not want to take but I figure I will spread the cost of additions over time but to my knowledge no third party developers for the Archos.

Collapse -
605&604 BIG difference
by Alexjhp / June 21, 2007 10:02 AM PDT

I have the Archos 404 and its great. I highly recommend the 605. Theres just one thing you should know. The 605 is cheaper(costs $200) but only in the flash version(4GB with SD expansion). Here are all the prices from the post on Crave:

Archos 605 Wi-Fi: The sweet spot in the Archos line adds Wi-Fi and a PSP-sized 800x480-pixel, 4.3-inch LCD screen. The 605 can stream video files from networked PCs on a home network, as well as offer direct access to the CinemaNow online video store and (with an optional upgrade) Web surfing and Flash-based video via the Opera browser. The 605 will be available in three configurations: 4GB flash with an SD expansion slot for $200, a 30GB hard-disk model for $300, and a 160GB hard-disk model for $400.

Also check the Archos website for updates.

Collapse -
Archos will also have games
by cjohnbrown / June 21, 2007 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: 605&604 BIG difference

The 605 will also have games through Visiware and Games through widgets. The games won't be a PSP or DS style and but more like cell phone games but still this PVP just keeps getting better.

Collapse -
160GB
by AlTheBBFan / June 21, 2007 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: 605&604 BIG difference

Will the 160GB version play the same movies my Vision m did? I Want the same ease of use. 160GB is alot!!! I didnt even they could make a hdd for an mp3 player that big.

Collapse -
Archos to Creative
by cjohnbrown / June 21, 2007 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: 160GB

You should not have a problem with the transfer if you converted your movies into DivX or mpeg. I used to own a creative m for awhile and have and continue to put videos onto them. As long as you are not converting to wmv you should be fine and if not you will probably just need to get a $20 plug-in.

Collapse -
plug-ins
by AlTheBBFan / June 22, 2007 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Archos to Creative

this is another thing that confuses me. Is a plug-in like a firmware update? If hat is the case, couldn't you just find the file online instead of paying money for it?

Collapse -
Plug-ins Are Similar
by cjohnbrown / June 22, 2007 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: plug-ins

The plug-ins you buy for example for the Widgets or to view videocast are plug ins, firmware while similar is the fact that it is an outside attachment to player is to rememdy a problem that was discovered or to enhance function. Firmware is free, and plug-ins are not but I think that both will be at the archos portal so they can be sent over the wifi directly to the player or you can add when attaching the player to your PC.

Collapse -
okay
by AlTheBBFan / June 25, 2007 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Plug-ins Are Similar

i think i have narrowed it down the 704 Wifi (80GB). Does anyone know if the product support for archos devices is any good? Also, if my pc doesn't have built in wireless, all i would have to do is buy a USB wireless dongle correct?

Collapse -
So So Customer Support
by cjohnbrown / June 25, 2007 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: okay

Most of the people will say customer support is poor, I have found it to be so-so. Usually get two answers I hear, (i have never had to call with both of my devices), Updaye firmware or send it in. Make sure you stay up on firmware, they tend to release the rahter often after it has been released. The new archos will update over the wifi now.

Collapse -
hmmm...
by AlTheBBFan / June 25, 2007 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: So So Customer Support

interesting about the firmware updates. Any word on how album art is handled? I had to pull an act of wmp to get album art on my zen vision m. I wish it was easier.

Collapse -
Archos album Art
by cjohnbrown / June 25, 2007 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm...

I have found that archos has never had a problem with showing album art. I use media monkey to attach album art but I do not sync my archos use it as a mass storage drive rather than use windows media. But any song that you can see on the creative zen you shold be able to see on the archos.

Collapse -
great
by AlTheBBFan / June 25, 2007 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Archos album Art

ok, one more question, i promise. Does the archos let you make playlists using the player itself? Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
No problem ask away
by cjohnbrown / June 25, 2007 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm...

The archos is really good at making playlist on the fly and you can also import playist. From the Play screen you can select playlist then it becomes a split screen allowing you to add the song you are listening to or any song on your player, you can also create playlist without going to the play screen but this way you can listen to a song before you decided to put it on a list. Also no problem, happy there is someone looking at the archos. Any other questions just ask.

Collapse -
if you insist...
by AlTheBBFan / June 25, 2007 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem ask away

ok then, as far as the wifi is concerned, can send someone else with an archos wifi a song wirelessly, like a zune?

Collapse -
No go
by cjohnbrown / June 25, 2007 7:56 AM PDT

The wifi does not allow player to player transfer, (or at least not yet with no rumor to in the future that I have heard) but you can play music and videos from a PC or laptop on a Server. The zine only lets you transfer certain formats for a certain period of time using DRM and since archos is a France based company that is really not there style.

Collapse -
okay, a few more, this is a big purchase after all
by AlTheBBFan / June 25, 2007 11:58 PM PDT

ok, would you recommend the 504 160GB or the 605 80GB. Also, are new players released almost as soon as you buy the newest model (i.e. 6 months later, a new one is released that is pretty significant)

Collapse -
I would go 605 160 GB
by cjohnbrown / June 26, 2007 12:13 AM PDT

The archos 605 comes in 30 GB and 160 GB and while there is a 160GB 504 it is more expensive and you should only get if you want a player right now rather than in September. The release of new models in the short time span between the 4th Generation and 5th Generation is not common practice for Archos. Usually they up date almost every year and half. I also think the 504 is a larger and heavier model but not a larger screen just weight and player size. And while you may not consider it a useful feature for your needs the 605 will come with wifi while the 504 does not. But the 504 is still a good player and you may find it for a good price somewhere online.

Collapse -
w.o.m.
by AlTheBBFan / June 26, 2007 12:56 AM PDT

alright word of mouth is the final nail in the coffin for me. I am going with the 605 160GB. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
No problem
by cjohnbrown / June 26, 2007 3:45 AM PDT

I plan on making the same purchase even though $400 is a pretty penny for 160GB and wifi I can never run out of space. Hope everything goes well. If you get it before I do give me the rundown if you remember.

Collapse -
i should be getting mine in mid july.
by AlTheBBFan / June 26, 2007 3:58 AM PDT

gotta save up a few paychecks. Military pay being slightly meager and all. I am interested to see how much better archos' line of players is than creative's (being a huge creative fan).

Collapse -
Archos v Creative
by cjohnbrown / June 26, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

I will have to save myself probably late August Early September. But I love Creative I have all of my friends and Faily on Creative and I have used both the Vision M and V plus alot but I still prefer my Archos 500 over them any day. Archos does so much more than any other MP3 player (i.e. DVR, multi formats play, Big beautiful screen) the only slight downside is the UI is not as sleek as the Creative but I actually prefer it, but it is easier to scroll thru songs on the creative but the new touch screen on the Achos takes care of that. I used it on a demo with the 604 and it was very smooth and responsive, yet it doesnt beat the click wheel because you have to access the screen to do it, if you use the buttons it is not quite as easy to scroll. But Archos easily beats the creative, Its like comparing the BMW to a Rolls, the BMW is good but the Rolls is refined and top of the line.

Collapse -
september, is it true
by AlTheBBFan / July 2, 2007 3:06 AM PDT

is it true that the 605 wifi 160GB doesn't come out until September??? I hope not, I may end up buying the 704 wifi (80GB) before that time. But, the 605 is a better deal, with double the memory for a cheaper price and the same capabilities, but I may be too impatient.

Collapse -
Archos Release
by cjohnbrown / July 2, 2007 3:21 AM PDT

I know the 605 30gb is suppose to be out July 15th but that is only based on the fact that they have pre-sale for UK and France for that release date. I have not heard anything firm but I have heard any archos release is suppose to come in Late August. As for the 705 the size is too big for my taste and if I have to wait for very early september for the 605 130gb i will have to wait. Check out the forums at www.archosfans.com.

Collapse -
Better Release Date information
by cjohnbrown / July 2, 2007 4:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
605 for travelling
by spank18 / July 16, 2007 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Go Archos 605

Hi all,

I need to replace my lost Ipod.

I have been thinking about the 605 160GB?

Does anybody know if the archos portal is availible in any country via a hotspot or only in selected countries that support it?

Secondly, for my trip around the world, should I wait for the 605 or just go with the 604??

Cheers,

Matt

Collapse -
better release date info...
by AlTheBBFan / July 26, 2007 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: 605 for travelling

it's now confirmed. If you go to the archos' US website, it shows in red letters across the top of the screen a September 1st date. Gonna be awesome, 160GB!!!!

Collapse -
Ship Date
by Rose4uKY / August 26, 2007 1:55 AM PDT

Amazon said 9/1 on the 80 and 160 and it said the other day order the 30gig within an hour and have it by 8/27. I called Amazon and was told they have the 30 gig in stock. I was going to get the 80 but heck for 30 bucks more you get double 160. But now on Amazons page it sayd usually takes 2-3 weeks or 3-4 weeks to ship. I don't see anything on Amazon about 9/1 anymore. I haven't preordered yet and Amazon said it wasn't guaranteed about the 9/1. Archos site said 9/1 so maybe I'll order directly from them on 9/1. I was going out of town on 9/7 and wanted it by then for the plane ride.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.