Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Archos 604/604 WiFi/Dish Network Question

by Celestil / September 13, 2006 12:06 PM PDT

In previous articles they Archos was quoted as stating they will support Dish Network program transfer as a Plugin instead of creating/branding a new PVP with a Dish Network logo.

Does that mean if I buy a Archos 604/604 WiFi prior to the release of the plugin software I can simply download/purchase the plugin?

Also, when will the Archos 604 WiFi be released/on sale?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Archos 604/604 WiFi/Dish Network Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Archos 604/604 WiFi/Dish Network Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
probably that the Mpeg2 plugin will do the trick
by Charbax / September 14, 2006 12:32 AM PDT

The whole 4th generation this time will probably support Dish Networks DVRs.

Though I am not sure which model Dish will be marketing to promote their TV packages.

It might be a model that is taking advantage of some new features of the next generation Dish DVR, will those maybe come with Wi-Fi, and an internet connection built-in to download video-on-demnand, IPTV, and to host an electronic program guide to remotely setup recordings for example using the 604 Wi-Fi on a Wi-Fi hotspot anywhere in the world? As well as being able to stream personal recordings from the new DVR, over the Internet and onto the Archos Wi-Fi device as long as about 1mbit/s is available in upload from home and in download at the hotspot?

I think that maybe the new generation will also include 404 Wi-Fi and 504 Wi-Fi and that Dish Network will only be selling and bundling the Wi-Fi models. I wonder if Dish might be waiting for Archos to support the Texas Instruments Da Vinci chip which would support High Definition recordings.

Collapse -
Dish Network uses DRM
by Celestil / September 14, 2006 8:54 AM PDT

The current PocketDisk uses DRM to obtain recordings via USB 2.0 transfer from the new DVR's. I do not see this changing for the new model. The recordings cannot be transferred to a PC.

The question is will Archos keep this plugin just for Dish Netowork-branded Archos players or will it be a "general plugin" that can be bought or downloaded.

Collapse -
I think all will support Dish
by Charbax / September 14, 2006 5:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Dish Network uses DRM

I think that all fourth generation Archos players will support Dish DRM. The first generation PocketDish came a few month after the normal AV500, AV700 and Gmini402 were released, so Archos simply couldn't integrate Mpeg2 on allready released models, since the Mpeg2 playback licence costs money.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.