Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Archos 604 30GB vs. Creative Zen Vision W (30GB)

by The0 / July 27, 2007 9:37 AM PDT

The Creative zen looks more interesting to me until I found out you HAVE to use the creative software or windows media player (which I have both used and hate). Does the Archos need software or can you just copy files to it with explorer. Also I use mac and have 10GB of music on iTunes and don't want to transfer it to windows media.

Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Archos 604 30GB vs. Creative Zen Vision W (30GB)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Archos 604 30GB vs. Creative Zen Vision W (30GB)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drag and drop
by sionyde / July 28, 2007 7:57 AM PDT

I have a zen vision w 60gig. drag and drop with everything in windows the player rocks.

Collapse -
Archos is Drag and Drop
by cjohnbrown / July 31, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

I am a Archos and Creative user and owner, I have found that the archos is better built for drag and drop over the creative but its is possible but harder to manage music in my opinion. Check out the new archos lines which are all drap and drop and you can snyc with window media even though I dont and have no plan too.

Collapse -
Archos is better?
by The0 / August 1, 2007 4:09 AM PDT

So this means that when you plug your Archos into your PC/mac it shows up as a usb mass storage device unlike the creative were you have to use windows media player or some bad creative software to copy media to the player. This means that the Archos is better than the creative since All my media is on my mac and I am not interested in listening to music on it (I understand it is difficult to organize music in the Archos).

Thank you for all the help

Collapse -
I think it is easy
by cjohnbrown / August 1, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Archos is better?

Just drag and drop into folders and then you can either play through folders you drag and droped into or via genres, title, artist, album and date in which the archos will read through all the music you have if in folders or not and search this way.

Collapse -
Thank you
by The0 / August 3, 2007 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: I think it is easy

I hate it when you have to use or install software on your computer to use hardware like mp3 players (except for iTunes because I find the software very easy to use and for music it is better than dragging in files). Also the software that HAS to be used with the creative (windows media player and some creative software) are very very bad.

Thank you for helping me make my decision.

Collapse -
by ackmondual / August 8, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

the Creative Zen V, Zen V Plus, MuVo s200 are advertised as drag and drop w/o drivers. It would be just plain dumb if you don't need drivers but still needed to install software, so I'm sure that also stands true

Collapse -
New Archos
by cjohnbrown / August 11, 2007 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: reply
Collapse -
Archos 605
by Rose4uKY / August 27, 2007 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: New Archos

I am also waiting for the Archos 605 on Sept. 1st. I hate that you have to buy all these plugins and that the only way to charge it is through USB. I have been considering the Creative Zen but haven't read enough about them yet.

I don't need the DVR docking thing from Archo cause I have Tivo. I can transfer a Tivo recorded show to my desktop now I will have to buy the Tivo Desktop extra Plus thing for 20 bucks but it will let me convert the show to Mpeg4 which I am hoping it plays on this thing. It says this comes with a docking station or some adapter which I am unsure about. But if you get the docking station you get the qwerty keyboard they told me. I just want an AC Adapter where I can plug it into the wall and the Archos and have it charge do they make one? Be nice if this had blue tooth to use blue tooth headphones.

Ok I am going to read some stuff on the Zen also and make my decision before the new Archos comes out on 9/1. Rose

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.