Mac Applications forum

Question

Archiving KN projects

by rugbyrne8 / October 27, 2011 4:49 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"><span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I recently lost an entire project, due to trusting KN's "save project with audio and video copied" preference. I've gotten it to work once in the past but I can't tell you how I did it. I recently saved as with that pref, tried to play on another machine with same KN and got the "necessary data ref" missing window. What gives?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Archiving KN projects
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Archiving KN projects
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Seems others are vexed by KeyNote too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2011 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Archiving KN projects
Collapse -
calling Cupertino @ archiving prob as well?
by rugbyrne8 / October 27, 2011 6:57 AM PDT

that's actually my post this morning as well to apple forums. Bob, it seems you've had this trouble as well..or at least know about it's existence as a bug in KN?

Collapse -
The only bug I know about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

Is when the versions change and videos are embedded. Often you can rip out the videos, re-encode them with HANDBRAKE and stick them back in.

I can't tell if that is your post since it's not an exact match and here your user name has not filled in. It shows as "Anonymous." Yes that's a bug in the forum software.

You paid for all this. I always think folk should get their money's worth.
Bob

Collapse -
Found workaround for embedded video Project Save As...
by rugbyrne8 / October 27, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">couldn't paste my whole reply to apple forums...but...<span>

<span>you need to open your existing project in KN
<span>Then, open a new project in KN
<span>Make sure your pref's have "copy audio...", "save themes..." and "save as package" all checked. I'm not sure if it needs all these, but I just checked them all.
<span>Copy all your files from the original proj file and paste into the new project.
<span>"Save as" the new project and it should be a much larger proj file with all audio and video embedded permanently.
<span>

<span>I tried to quit out of KN, then op-ened my original proj file again. With all my prefs abvove checked I tried to "save as" this project and it did not work. ONLY starting a new project and copying all slides to it worked for me.
<span>

<span>I have not found this in th manual yet and that's a bit messed up for me. Especially since I've now lost two important presentations that I'd like to use in demo , etc. <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Collapse -
Now I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2011 8:46 AM PDT

" ONLY starting a new project and copying all slides to it worked for me."

If this worked, then how could those two be lost?

And why not the call to Apple? It was not funny when we asked our IT person to get help and they posted on the internet. We really did mean for them to call mother.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.