TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Approximately how many standard definition DVDs do you own?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 25, 2007 4:39 AM PDT

1-50 (Name some of your favorites.)
51-100 (Name some of your favorites.)
101-300 (Name some of your favorites.)
301-500 (Name some of your favorites.)
501-700 (Name some of your favorites.)
701-1,000 (Name some of your favorites.)
1,000+ (Wow! Have you watched all of them?)
None (Please explain.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Approximately how many standard definition DVDs do you own?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Approximately how many standard definition DVDs do you own?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / October 25, 2007 6:27 AM PDT

Farspace complete series (I wish more seasons where widescreen)
DS9 complete series
Enterprise complete series (yes I liked it)
ST:TOS complete series
ST: Voyager complete series
BSG complete series
Rome complete series
Earth to the Moon
Lost complete series
Sg-1 complete series
Star Gate: Atlantis complete series
Sopranos complete series (my season of 6.5 is blu ray)
Andromeda almost complete series (have not gotten the last season yet)
South Park (half the seasons)
Dark Angel (1&2)
Band of Brothers (a great mini)
Apollo 13 (great sound)
War Of the Worlds (the new one)
Cast Away
Saving Private Ryan
I, Robot
Star Wars (all of them)
Galaxy Quest (my fav comedy)
The Star Trek Moives TOS & NexGen (all but ST: Generations)
Dr Strandlove
Silence of the Lamps
Dawn of the Dead
The Thing (the 80's one)

I got lots more but I these are the one I would want if I was stuck a island Happy

Collapse -
dvds owned
by tarnette / October 25, 2007 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: 500-600

pirates of the carribean
harry potter - (all)
war of the worlds (new one)

Collapse -
farscape rocks
by knelson276 / October 25, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

Farscape was awesome, i only wish they hadn't ended it. nice selection you have, was surprised you didn't have Babylon 5 on it, or it just didn't make the list? Happy

Collapse -
Ha, ha! I got all of "Andromedia in one box set
by aka_tripleB / October 25, 2007 6:38 PM PDT

That took 3 months to watch.

Plus I have:
The Super Mario Bros. Super Show (Vol. 1 & 2)
The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros. (the actual movie, which is much better when drunk)
Disney's Hercules
Disney's Mulan
Digimon Season 1
Heroes Season 1
Both Fantastic Four movies
The Birds
Rear Window
Boogie Nights
Resident Evil 1 & 2
Silent Hill
True Lies
Three Kings
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Prestige
Double Jeopardy
X-men 1, 2, & 3
Planet of the Apes (2001)
InuYasha Seasons 1-4
InuYasha Movies 1-4
Charmed Seasons 1-8
And some other ones that won't be mentioned by name

Collapse -
i am waiting for the industry to stabilize.
by bobcatplus / October 25, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

before i decide what to purchase i am going to wait for the industry to stabilize...

Collapse -
why bother
by vidyman / October 28, 2007 11:43 PM PDT

"Who needs all this krapp around the house." That's what my wife says about my 300 LPs, my 400 CDs, and my 20 or so DVDs and VHS movies. And she's right. I can put all my music on a 60 gig iPod and out side of a very few special titles (Blade Runner, The original King Kong) who needs to keep movies. Just call it up on iTunes, Pay per view, You Tube, or what every going to win the distribution war, watch it, and forget it. I don't think 99% of what's coming out of Hollywood is worth watching much less keeping.

Collapse -
We see your point. I too still have LPs.
by NM_Bill / October 29, 2007 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: why bother

Just hoping convergence gets cheaper & more user friendly. Sure, I'd like a terrabyte external hard drive and both a Sonos & Olive server system, but the basic thought goes back to a philosophy that all hard drives are destined to fail eventually.

Maybe the future will be cheap convenient remote online storage. We don't REALLY NEED to physically own a hard copy of entertainment if we have easy cheap access to the use of them. I guess we should change our ways. My attitude always has been that the CDs & DVDs are too expensive. Artists do need protection for intellectual property. We just feel the companies are greedy ********.

Collapse -
"We just feel the companies are greedy ********."
by jcrobso / January 2, 2008 12:30 AM PST

There is truth in this!!
The FTC has found the RIAA & it's members guilty of price fixing two times. How has the RIAA responded??? By lowering prices??? NOT!!!
Instead they are tracking down people who have downloaded music and taking them to court and prosecuting them.
Lets go back to days of 12" LP records, they we about $7~8 for a major artist at the time that CDs were introduced at $16. 25 years later CDs are still $16+, we all know that the cost of making them has dropped, but they are still $16+.
$16 for a CD with 12~16 songs and usually the rare about 5~6 that you really like. It's easy to see why iTunes has become so popular, $.99 and only get the songs you really like. John

Collapse -
Had to laugh at vidyman and reminded me of wifes ......
by Rollbar / October 29, 2007 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: why bother

....comment to me several years ago.

I had become compulsive about copying tapes. I had collected some 200 VHS tapes with at least 2 movies on each one. After complaining about them for some time, she resigned herself to living with them....for a while however one night she said, "When you die I'm throwing them all out". Ouch! LOL

She didn't have to wait for the big one.... I tossed them out 10 years ago when I started to collect DVDs. This time, with a better financial picture, (pun intended) I have purchased every one. Some are used however, but most were new.

Collection is up to 440 now. I considered peddling the whole collection in favor of building a new set in BR or HD (Can't tell which yet) that is, until I saw my SD DVDs on my new Sony 55A3000 with an upconverting DVD player. Now I think I'll just keep them.

If I die contact my wife, I'm sure she'll give you a great deal to take them off her hands. Happy

Collapse -
by specialj67 / October 25, 2007 7:59 AM PDT

A selection of my most viewed:

Arrested Development (entire series)
Battlestar Galactica (remake, entire series to date)
Firefly (and Serenity)
The O.C. (entire series)
Shaun of the Dead
The Hunt for Red October
Office Space
Finding Nemo
Harry Potter 2-4
The Matrix
Garden State
Lawrence of Arabia
Ocean's 11
Napolean Dynamite
Good Bye, Lenin!
Good Night, and Good Luck
Three Kings
Team America, World Police
Get Shorty
South Park (movie and The Hits: Vol. 1)

Collapse -
ownership of standard dvds
by eglazier / October 25, 2007 8:01 AM PDT

obviously, with my collection of nearly 300 and increasing as i find both the dvd and the funds, i am not concerned with the newer types and will not be till there is only a single standard. personally i find watching standard types on my tv set quite satisfactory and am in no hurry to change. i cannot see the value of more expensive copies nor expensive equipment.
some of my favorites:
band of brothers
saving private ryan
quigley down under
the shootist
the russians are coming,the russians are coming
the american president
charley varick
all of the english comedies of the 1950s and 1960s
eat drink man woman
four weddings and a funeral
its a mad mad mad mad world
mccabe and mrs miller
men in black and men in black 2
milagro beanfield war
my cousin vinny
open range
all of the later clint eastwood westerns
and many many more especially comedys when they made funny ones for adults instead of silly ones for 10-year-olds

Collapse -
Between 50 and 100
by arnold88 / October 25, 2007 8:04 AM PDT

favorites include
The Shootist
Broken Trail
Open Range
Sweet Home Alabama, really funny!!
Casablanca, can't imagine Reagan instead of Bogart
The Maltese Falcon

Collapse -
by jfordorl / October 25, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

I have between 300 and 500 standard def DVD's. My most played are these (in no particular order):
Top Gun
Blade Runner
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Bourne Files series
and lots more

Collapse -
My DVD collection? Lots of TV Series, and oddities
by punterjoe / October 25, 2007 8:20 AM PDT

I figure the big blockbusters will continue being rereleased in the newest shiniest format of the day, so I won't feel compelled to replace ALL my old tapes & analog discs (LD/CED/VCDs). Stuff that's likely to be released once, I'll collect... like any TV series Fox killed before all episodes had even aired. (Serenity, Wonderfalls etc)
Quirky indies & docus that will likely be soon forgotten... and comfort food for the brain - movies I can watch over & over... like Delicatessen, Brazil, Koyanisqaatsi, Casablanca, Lola Rennt and a dozen more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Collapse -
These are a few of my favorites
by jjbrain / October 25, 2007 8:20 AM PDT

We own just over 100 DVDs. We really like:

Oh Brother Where Art Thou
The Americanization of Emily
Men in Black
Bend it like Beckham
Ken Burn's The Civil War
Intolerable Cruelty
The American President
That's Entertainment (all of them)
Monsters Inc.
Chicken Run
The Hunt for Red October
As Good as it Gets
The Philadelphia Story
A & E's Pride and Prejudice

Collapse -
MOSTLY ALL BRIT STUFF b/c well.....they are just BETTER!
by flightwave / October 25, 2007 8:26 AM PDT

Sherlock Holmes/Jeremy Brett complete collection
Agatha Christie's Poirot complete collection
Agatha Christie's Marple complete collection
Cracker/Robbie Coltrane complete collection
Prime Suspect complete collection
Charles Dickens BBC complete collection
Catherine Cookson complete collection
The House of Elliot complete collection
Rumpole of the Bailey complete collection
War & Peace (all 3 versions - Russian version is the best!)
Eye of the Needle
A Bridge Too Far
Element of Doubt
The Krays
A Certain Justice
Ruth Rendell Series Collections
The Sculptress
The Whistle Blower
etc., etc., etc.,
if it's British, I probably have it!

Collapse -
by tom.maggio / October 25, 2007 8:26 AM PDT

Some personal favorites:

Double Indemnity (EG Robinson way to underrated as an actor)
Key Largo
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Fugitive Kind
The Magnificent Seven
North To Alaska
Lord of the Rings
A Mighty Wind
Best in Show
The Closer
X Files
Millenium (Rocks!!!)
Lone Gunmen
Harsh Realm
Independence Day
Enemy of the State
Midsummer Nights Dream

Collapse -
My favorite DVD's
by pannew / October 25, 2007 8:33 AM PDT

John Mayer is high on my list and he's getter better all the time so, I have everything he's done. Waiting for the world to change [which is best song written, sang and played about the current war and how he and his friends are affected by not being able to do anything re the war and can't depend on the TV news we hear, since its so bended by the time it gets to us]. I don't Trust myself with Loving You, Belief, Gravity [which is simply awesome], Tha Heart of Life, Stop this train,which I dearly love, mentioning how fast the world is moving, and it has 'I hate to see my parents go' and lets you know what a down to earth good writer, guitarist and producer he really is. In repair, Dreaming with a broken heart, Bold as Love, Slow dancing in a Burning Room, Vultures, Daughters [which he won an academy award for], I'm gonna find another You,The Heart of Life, Who did you think I was?, Good Love is on the way, Neon, Home Life,and on and on. I have approx 50 dvd/cd's but any title by John Mayer is tops on my list and I listen to him every day. Peggy

Collapse -
my first dvd
by knelson276 / October 25, 2007 8:37 AM PDT

my first dvd was Lost in Space think was in 98 or 99, the surround sound blew me away and i was hooked. i probably still watch it 2 or 3 times a year, my favorite series is Farscape.

Collapse -
Headed towards 500
by NM_Bill / October 25, 2007 8:41 AM PDT

Classic (to me) movies
No TV series
Oops, make exception for The Twilight Zone

Collapse -
About 35 DVD's and 20 LD's
by HiDefBob / October 25, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

I buy mainly documentaries like Ken Burn's "Baseball" and "The Civil War" (LD set) and concert DVD's like "James Taylor: Live at the Beacon Theater" and "Diana Krall: Live in Paris".

With the odd exception of movies like "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" and a few classics like "The Wizard of Oz" and "Scrooge" I rarely ever buy DVD movies ... I only want to watch most movies once, so I rent them.

Once I buy a Blu-ray Player and HD DVD Player (I need a new display with HDMI inputs) I will rent nothing movies in HD. I will purchase the odd documentary like "The Blue Planet" on Blu-ray.

Purchasing a disc to watch it once or twice at the most, to me is a great waste of money. I would much sooner spend that money on a higher quality screen and player.

Collapse -
favorite dvd's
by nettie901 / October 25, 2007 9:01 AM PDT

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Garden State
all John Turturro movies
all ben Stiller movies

Collapse -
Standard, Blu-Ray, HD DVD
by bwana01 / October 25, 2007 9:25 AM PDT

I own between 500 and 1000 DVD's, all standard. There's no way in hell I'm going to replace any of these with HD ... period! I may purchase HD DVD in the future (new movies only) but I'm quite satisfied with what I have now. I have a 57" rear projection Sony TV, a Sony DVD player, and a Bose home theater sound system, all of which are now five years old. The picture is great, the sound is terrific, and the DVD player works seamlessly with the television. Why should I fix something that's working so well? I've invested a good deal of money in my DVD collection and have no intention of investing more in duplicates just because they may look a little better, a little sharper, a little more detailed. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Collapse -
I own 6 DVDs
by djFLWB / October 25, 2007 9:35 AM PDT

After making the switch from VHS to DVD I decided to stop buying DVDs. I had hundreds of movies on VHS and suddenly they weren't worth watching anymore because of the change in quality.

Am I going to spend the money on replacing these movies in the new format? How often did I really watch those movies? (I had already replaced hundreds of vinyl LPs for CD.)

I have 5 movies that came with my original DVD player, plus one that I bought (Yellow Submarine). I've since replaced my original DVD player once (upgraded to a multi-disc DVD/SACD player about 3 years ago.

Am I going to upgrade to HD? Not for some time. First, I have a 35 Inch TV with a few years left in it that I'm not going to chuck for an HDTV Plasma or LCD, just because it's the latest and greatest thing to have. Therefore I won't upgrade the player until the TV is replaced.

Beside with on demand tv I rarely go to blockbuster anymore.

I think I'm going to wait for the dust to settle and get myself the latest and greatest holographic viewer when they become available. Wink

Collapse -
51-100 For Me
by samusgravity / October 25, 2007 9:36 AM PDT

I am planning to get a blu-ray or HD-DVD player, but I still have about 75 regular definition DVDs! Here are my 5 favorites:

5. Mission: Impossible series- It's cool... Not quite my movie... But cool.

4. Harry Potter series: A good book and a good movie

3.The Tomb-Raider Series: I love the Video Game, and I love the movie!

2. The Matrix (only the first one): Great movie with an insane amount of sci-fi action!

1.Transformers: The Best Movie Ever!!! From the special effects to the funny scenes, this movie has it all!!!

Collapse -
Approximately 500-600 DVDs
by maafla1 / October 25, 2007 9:40 AM PDT

Complete Ken Burns Baseball
The Simpsons Seasons 1-9
The World At War (5 double sided DVDs)
Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Volumes 1-3
Hill Street Blues, Seasons 1 & 2
Miami Vice, Seasons 1 & 2
all Star Wars movies (Episodes I-VI)
all James Bond movies
Saturday Night Fever
Alien (special 20th anniversary edition)
Aliens (special 20th anniversary edition)
All Harry Potter movies
Most of the Disney classics (Cinderella, Peter Pan, Snow White, Bambi, etc...)
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
Independence Day
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Live Aid
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
A Bridge Too Far

Collapse -
Will we ever see Season 3 of Hill Street?
by rsimanski / October 27, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

A person after my own heart. Will we ever see Season 3 of Hill Street Blues? I'm afraid not, because it's been more than a year since Season 2 was released. This was one of the best-written TV series of all time and the granddaddy of today's ensemble cop shows.

Collapse -
Favorite DVD's
by hondaclf / October 25, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

I have 50 to 100.
The worst part about it is I don't like to watch them too many times, there are a few I've seen once and there they sit.
Just to name a few:
Star Wars (all)
Saw I, II(standard and BluRay), III
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (new and original)
Full Metal Jacket
Taxi Driver
Transformers (HD)

The only DVD I have so far in more than one format is Saw II and that was because I wanted a direct comparison and I already owned the regular one when I got the BluRay player and the TV to go with it, plus I got it cheap. I can't see replacing any other DVD's at this point. I guess it works for me that I have both BluRay and HDDVD players so it doesn't matter to me which format wins. I do wish that BluRay would follow along with the added online content that will be coming more on HDDVD's. I do notice a better picture on the BluRay but that is just my opinion, I also see the upconverted picture is amazing using either player so unless you have a VERY large 1080p TV you won't really see much difference(I have a 42" 1080p Toshiba).

Collapse -
I own zero DVDs (and I'm proud)
by arminfields / October 25, 2007 10:14 AM PDT

I rent from my public library for $0.75 for 1 week.

I also have DISH with a DVR and TCM, so I get many of my favorite movies all the time and I have saved those 10 or so that I want to see again (although its not really necessary to save as they play often on TCM)

Collapse -
Like Old Stuff
by cnet47 / October 25, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

I'm a great fan of 30's and 40's BLACK/WHITE movies and old tv series. I have Sherlock Holmes, The Thin Man series, Katharine Hepburne, Cary Grant, Betty Davis. But I also have Rosemary's Baby and Christmas Story.
Really surprised that more people fit in the 1-50 category (my group). I expected the larger % in the 300+ range.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.