Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Application Not Found...

by jrank2889 / August 5, 2009 12:52 PM PDT

Hey everyone. Let's see if you can help me with this. I have been trying for hours, but to no success.

I recently got a trojan from the much hated Windows Anti Virus Pro from a pop Ad that was clicked accidentally. I followed all of the steps to delete it and I thought I had, but now, whenever I try to open a file from my desktop I either get an "Application not Found", or a "Choose which file you want to use to open with.." message. I tried to go to the Start Menu to use regedit and all of that, but whatever this virus is has affected that too. When I try to use Start Menu Run, it says "Choose which file...". I don't know what to do? I can barely access any internet. Most files, I can find which file to use from a list of programs, like when I open Firefox, I just click Firefox, but for the windows applications, like Run, Control Menu, and Support Center I can't search for the program to use since I do not know which it is. Also, I have already tried System Restore and none of my Restore Points are functioning. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Application Not Found...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Application Not Found...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Those are what we call ASSOCIATIONS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 10:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Too tedious.
by stairways73 / May 23, 2011 7:53 AM PDT

There's no way someone can re associate every file in their computer. This virus affects Every association.

Collapse -
That's why we have sites with fixes for such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2011 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Too tedious.

A Mr Doug Know has such a site.

--> But let me put this to you for a ponder. Wouldn't this be a good exercise for the person that maintains their own systems? Shouldn't they know how to fix associations and know what opens with what?

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, that's Doug Knox.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 12:35 AM PDT

The search still works to find it.

Collapse -
"Application not Found", or a "Choose which file you want"
by LadyRaven / July 2, 2011 6:38 PM PDT

I am having the same problem following Vundo Trojan infection. Re-associating the file applications does not solve this problem. It would take all day as you have to do it each and every time you open a document or application.

Collapse -
How did you get on
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2011 7:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
"Application not Found", or a "Choose which file you want"
by LadyRaven / July 3, 2011 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: How did you get on

I have Windows 7 not XP so I am not sure that this solution applies. I've found a work around which I am using while I takle the real problem -how to get rid of the Vundo Trojan that caused the problem in the first place. I'll let you know how that goes. I am going to try Vundofix and Vundobegone, then hijack this followed by Malwarebytes and Avg.

Collapse -
Associations apply to 7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 5:26 AM PDT

Same story, same fixes.

Collapse -
Re: Application Not Found...
by Tufenuf / August 6, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

jrank2889, I'm assuming you're using Windows XP.

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer to download the reg file fix onto a CD, thumb drive, or floppy and transfer the file to the problem computer.

After that .reg file is merged into the registry successfully restart your computer.

Tufenuf

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Collapse -
It worked!
by jrank2889 / August 6, 2009 9:57 AM PDT

Thank you so much! It worked. I have been trying to fix this for hours and hours.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad that it worked & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / August 6, 2009 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked!
Collapse -
ME TOO!
by bobbypkp / August 20, 2010 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: It worked!

Not sure what I did, but the instuctions worked!
thank you very much

Lost in the K-hole,
b

Collapse -
Application not found
by sibsib65 / January 2, 2010 2:05 PM PST

Hi,
I have a problem:
"I recently had some virus and I deleted them , but now, whenever I try to open a file from my desktop I either get an "Application not Found", or a "Choose which file you want to use to open with.." message. I tried to go to the Start Menu to use regedit and all of that, but whatever this virus is has affected that too. When I try to use Start Menu Run, it says "Choose which file...". I don't know what to do? I can barely access any internet. Most files, I can find which file to use from a list of programs, like when I open Firefox, I just click Firefox, but for the windows applications, like Run, Control Menu, and Support Center I can't search for the program to use since I do not know which it is. Also, I have already tried System Restore and none of my Restore Points are functioning."
but my operating system is windows server 2003.
can you please help me?
Best Regards,
Saba

Collapse -
Tried Using Tufenuf's Suggestion Above?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 4, 2010 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: Application not found
Collapse -
Thanks for your tips
by sibsib65 / January 4, 2010 6:48 PM PST

Hi Grif,
Thanks for your tips,I had seen this page, but my operating system is windows server 2003 and those usefull apps or softs are for xp.
can you help me?(windows server 2003)
Regards,
Saba

Collapse -
You Might Want To Start Your Own Thread Or...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2010 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for your tips

..it's also possible to manually edit the registry changes suggested. Download the .reg file mentioned in the earlier post by Tufenuf. Once downloaded, rename the file to .txt and open the document to see the specific registry edits the file would make.. Now open 'regedit' in Server 2003, and navigate to the registry items and manually make the changes IF they are required. Sometimes, there is no such registry entry in another operating system so it's not necessary to make a change.. On the other hand, if the registry items were corrupted or altered, then you could easily change them back.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks for your tips
by sibsib65 / January 5, 2010 1:29 PM PST

Hi Grif,
Thanks for your tips,It was so usefull and my problem has been solved,But now I have another problem.when I double click on app or software to open it,it asks me to select wich user open this file.So what I can do?(it doesn't show "Application not found".this problem has been solved with your tips.)
Best Regards,
Saba

Collapse -
What Is The EXACT Message You See? And...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for your tips

..what types of files are showing the message? Does it happen only on desktop shortcuts which lead to programs? Or does it happen when you directly open a file, such as a Word document from your "My Documents" folder? Or maybe both?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Hi Grif
by sibsib65 / January 8, 2010 1:03 PM PST

Hi Grif,
Thank you for your note.When I want to open a file that I created in a program(for example I created a word document),it doesn't ask me to select user.But when I want to open microsoft office word for creating a file or ccleaner or visual studio or sql server or oracle or... from desktop or program files,it asks me to select users.
Redars,
Saba

Collapse -
Try Taking Ownership
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Grif
Collapse -
Hi Grif
by sibsib65 / January 9, 2010 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: Try Taking Ownership

Hi Grif,
Thank you for your note.
Regards,
Saba

Collapse -
Application not found
by sibsib65 / January 4, 2010 6:54 PM PST

Hi Tufenuf,
I have a problem, my problem is like jrank's problem. but my os is windows server 2003. can you help me?
you solved jrank's problem,I hope that you solve my problem too.
Regards,
Saba

Collapse -
Oh my gosh it worked for me too!
by katnip3 / February 24, 2010 11:25 AM PST

Wow. I can't believe fixing that problem could be so quick and simple. Thank you so much for posting that solution. I had the same problem as the other person. My computer was rendered useless. I ran that registry thing and seconds later my computer was fixed. Well, I'm impressed.

Collapse -
Application not found
by jodyg31 / April 20, 2011 12:14 PM PDT

My problem is also same is anybody help me?

Collapse -
Tried The Solution Given Above Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 20, 2011 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Application not found
Collapse -
Application error......more issues
by Bladernr1001 / July 24, 2011 10:45 AM PDT

I have the same problem as jrank had....application not found. I know this is some kind of registry error because for example if I double click on say a word document the program opens to that document but if I try to just click on tnhe word icon to open it I get the application error message.

I cannot even open regedit. it does not give me an error...it just does nothing.

Anything i can do short of reload?

Collapse -
Same Answer...Tried The Solution In the Link Above?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 1:11 PM PDT

No need to open the registry. Just download the file and run it per the instructions in the link.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Need some help
by Andrew6911 / February 25, 2010 6:06 AM PST

I was following what you said and went to the link but when I click on "12. EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" it opens as text in a new window. I was going to try to add it manually but I am unable to open the registry editor, when typing either "REGEDIT.exe" or just "REGEDIT" into RUN it opens the list for me to select a program to open it with.

I realize the original post is a few months old but this is the only fix I have been able to find.

Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
Re: Need some help
by Tufenuf / February 25, 2010 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Need some help

Andrew, Did you try this with that reg file? Right click it and choose "Merge". If that doesn't work try this.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
this fixed in windows 7 as well
by m_j_79_4397 / June 15, 2011 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Need some help

Hi Tufenuf,

I had the simila issue in Windows 7 (due to same virus problem) and followed your steps and fixed the problem. But I am just wondering will it affect anything later due to Windows 7?

Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.