Mac Applications

General discussion

Apple Virtual Reality Makes Computer PC Compatible?

by pfeffer3 / April 21, 2004 12:32 AM PDT

I want to run Microsoft Word 2000 on an Apple computer, and store salesman said that it could be done if Virtual Reality software was installed on the Apple first.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple Virtual Reality Makes Computer PC Compatible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple Virtual Reality Makes Computer PC Compatible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Apple Virtual Reality Makes Computer PC Compatible?
by hootchdoc / April 21, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

I'm no expert on this, but I think the reference was to "Virtual PC" which is a program to run pc applications on the mac.

Collapse -
Re:Apple Virtual Reality Makes Computer PC Compatible?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

With a native version of Open Office from http://www.openoffice.org to use, create and edit Word documents natively, why do this?

Sure, you can add Virtual PC, but don't expect it to be a PC in all ways.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Apple Virtual Reality Makes Computer PC Compatible?
by Rooney / June 17, 2004 6:15 PM PDT

Microsoft has a 'Mac' version of all its software, including Word, and I would think that you should be able to purchase the mac equivalent to run and use on your mac.

If you are running Panther the free 'TextEdit' that comes with the system can open Word Documents - not sure about saving and working on them though.

As for the 'Virtual Reality software' Im sure the storeman meant Virtual PC - it emulates a PC on yor Mac - I have heard that its a bit of a pig - slow - memory intensive (RAM HUNGRY) - and has all the bugs and loopholes that you would expect from a PC including the downside of the virus threat - so if you do go down that route - get some virus protection.

Hope this has helped you.

Collapse -
by aef / June 20, 2004 6:40 AM PDT

We run some macs on our pc network. One of the mac users used virtual pc for a while but it was very slow. I use a mac version of office at home and it is much better than the full version and significantly better than virtual pc.

Collapse -
by kinnear3 / September 17, 2004 4:26 AM PDT

If you are a student or a teacher or are the parent of a student, you can purchase and use MS Office 2004 for Mac Student and Teacher Edition. I was happy to know that as the parent of an eligible student, I meet the MS rules to legitimately buy and use this product. The Mac version is equivalent to Office Standard for PC and includes Word. In several ways, the current Mac version has some newer features than the latest PC version. Office for Mac will create, edit and open files that are compatible with Office for PC documents.

Collapse -
by chipz / September 23, 2004 4:39 PM PDT

Virtual PC will allow you to run Windows programs on a Mac, but at a cost. It runs slow and requires a hefty amount of RAM, It also leaves your Mac vulnerable to all the virii, worms, etc. that plague the Windows platform. The program is also not cheap. Depending on the flavor of Windows you emulate, it can cost well over $200! With the educational discount you could get the Mac version of MS Office which runs natively on OS X.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.