Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Apple Push in Win 7 Startup

by michhala / January 22, 2012 7:05 AM PST

Decided to post this question here instead of the iPhone forum: Is it O.K. to remove Apple Push from Startup?
I am still overly caretaking of my Startup programs in msconfig, but not as crazy as I used to be since my Windows 7 computer :)......my thanks.
Late Happy New Year everybuddy.

michhala has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple Push in Win 7 Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple Push in Win 7 Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Addendum (more info)
by michhala / January 22, 2012 7:13 AM PST

iPhone is 3GS with ver 4.3.5 installed. (you won't hurt my feelings if you send me over to the iPhone forum) Happy
Miki

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by michhala

Collapse -
Thank you......
by michhala / January 22, 2012 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: Try this:

.....for the *link on the Mac forum. BTW I am registered with that forum, but never receive replies to my questions.

Collapse -
I read that other discussion
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 8:18 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you......

and to be honest I'm still not sure what Apple Push is or does, so some general questions for you...

1] What is it and what does it do? Happy

2] Do you need it starting up every time you bootup?

3] Do you use this app at all, and if so, how often?

I'm guessing, (knowing how you prefer your system to be neat, clean and lean), that if you can start this application from elsewhere, eg from Start > All programs, or from any shortcut icon on your Desktop, you can simply disable this file from the Startup tab of MSCONFIG and then open the application whenever you need it.

If that causes some ill-effect, like synchronisation not working, or other, you can always re-enable it.

I see you've relaxed somewhat. Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Mark, thank you for reply
by michhala / January 24, 2012 11:16 AM PST

Hi Mark -- I really cannot answer any of your questions. Apple Push just showed up in Msconfig. Results of Google Searches were not satisfying and offered varying info. I am vague about its purpose, what it is or if I need it at startup......I do not, however, believe I use this app.....but then I am not sure of that either. This is because very little Apple does makes sense to me as a PC person......but I do like the iPhone Happy

Collapse -
Do you have any badges?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 7:39 PM PST

No, I don't know what I'm talking about, but this Wiki entry for Apple Push mentions badges. Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Push_Notification_Service

That said, I see you have an iPhone. Do you ever connect this to the PC for syncing purposes? Also, do you have iTunes or Quicktime installed? I am getting the impression from the link below that Apple Push is just a service or process that helps keep any Apple products updated.

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=35285

If you have neither iTunes nor Quicktime installed and if you don't connect your iPhone to the PC, it is safe to disable this. In fact, even with Quicktime installed I would still disable it if this were me.

Mark

Collapse -
Think I will post in the iPhone Forum
by michhala / January 25, 2012 9:20 AM PST

Hi Mark --What is the sentence for double posting?

Collapse -
Double posting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 9:28 PM PST

No problems, you're allowed to double post in this instance! Happy

I've tracked this thread and I would be interested what responses you get, and whether there's any definitive answer. Post back here if you do.

My thinking now is, as you do sync, then this Apple Push is required. But don't quote me on that. Happy

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Used for wireless sync
by Rider3 / January 26, 2012 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Double posting.

"APSDaemon.exe (otherwise known as Apple Push) is the service that wirelessly syncs your device. It may safely be stopped from running at startup, but you may not be able to wirelessly sync your device. It is recommended to leave the process with its current settings for the best customer experience."

I have 4 Win 7 computers with iTunes and have yet to get one to wirelessly connect to my iPhone 4S.
However, my MBP will connect to the iPhone even if it's outside in the car.(as long as the iPhone connects to my WiFi router)

If you are lucky enough to be able to sync wirelessly in Windows and you want to sync this way, let it start up. If not, disable it on startup because it automatticaly starts with iTunes anyway, and, continues to run until reboot.

Collapse -
Thank you, Rider3
by michhala / January 26, 2012 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: Used for wireless sync

Your post and the information you supplied from your own experience are a huge help. I knew that Apple Push service was to wirelessly sync, but did not grasp the information from a place of knowledge.

Collapse -
Yes...
by Rider3 / January 26, 2012 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you, Rider3

It will start with iTunes even though it has been disabled in MSConfig and continue to run unless shutdown/reboot.

Each new instalation of iTunes will reset Apple Push to active, otherwise, it will remail as disabled.
I have disabled all Apple items in my startup and iTunes works fine for me since I cannot get it to wirelessly sync with my iPhone 4S.

Collapse -
Thanks for your reply and....
by michhala / January 26, 2012 7:04 PM PST
In reply to: Yes...

...... for sharing the information re disabling all Apple items in your startup....that is very interesting to me and helpful.

Collapse -
Mark
by michhala / January 26, 2012 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Double posting.

Methinks Rider3 answered my questions, as well as yours. My thanks, again, for always doing your best to work with me......Miki

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: Mark

and thanks to Rider3 as well.

Good to see helpful volunteers here after all. Devil

Mark

Collapse -
What I do know - You cannot use Apple devices without Itunes
by johnukguy / June 8, 2013 5:16 AM PDT

In fact yes you can and should, as Itunes is both invasive, resource heavy and unecessary. There are much better alternatives out there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.